Promptings of Wisdom

Ask any question regarding the game's (official) rules

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Sauron

Promptings of Wisdom

Post by Sauron » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:44 pm

Is this card inclusive or exclusive?  I can see the text being read either way.

Promptings of Wisdom:
Light Enchantment. Playable during the organization phase on a ranger. Target ranger may tap to cancel all hazard effects for the rest of the turn that: force his company to return to its site of origin or that tap his company's current or new site. If so tapped, target ranger makes a corruption check.
Cannot be duplicated in a given company.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:07 pm

Meaning (I think):

Do you have to pick whether your site gets tapped or you get returned to site of origin?  Or do you just tap and that takes care of both?

(Right?)

I think the answer is the former, but I'm not sure.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:34 pm

I'm inclined to think that it covers both returning to the site of the origin and the tapping of sites; mainly because it cannot be duplicated on a company.  It was meant as an answer to roadblock; if it could only handle one half of it, it would be wasted.

Especially since tapping a Ranger makes you vulnerable to River anyway.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:48 pm

Those are some very good points.

You're probably right.

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:44 pm

Devil's Advocate Mode On:

Well lets not be so hasty here, there are cards such as goldberry which only prevent you from being returned to site of orgin.

Perhaps they just wanted to add a card that would stop tapping of sites, found it limited in scope and decided to give it more utility.

I mean how many ways are there to tap a site with a hazard?  I can only think of 2 off the top of my head.

It would seem to be a waste to build a card to handle just the tapping of sites, I believe they added the returning to site of orgin for more utility.

Devil's Advocate Mode Off

henrikbe

Post by henrikbe » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:57 pm

I'd say the ":" in the card text makes it quite clear in this case. If the card was supposed to only prevent one but not both kinds of effects, the ":" should not be there.
Henrik

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:48 pm

Sauron wrote:Devil's Advocate Mode On:

Well lets not be so hasty here, there are cards such as goldberry which only prevent you from being returned to site of orgin.

Perhaps they just wanted to add a card that would stop tapping of sites, found it limited in scope and decided to give it more utility.

I mean how many ways are there to tap a site with a hazard?  I can only think of 2 off the top of my head.

It would seem to be a waste to build a card to handle just the tapping of sites, I believe they added the returning to site of orgin for more utility.

Devil's Advocate Mode Off
But I would still stand by my principle reason: it cannot be duplicated on a company.  This would seem to indicate that they designed the card as a "catch all on the first tapping."  If it could only stop one of the effects/tapping, I would think that you could duplicate it in a company (not on a character, obviously).

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:05 am

Aye, but without ICE releasing rules, it is up to us to figure out a ruling and by us, I mean the net rep team (Good Luck on this one Folks ;) ).  As it stands now I can see it going either way.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:45 am

henrikbe wrote:I'd say the ":" in the card text makes it quite clear in this case. If the card was supposed to only prevent one but not both kinds of effects, the ":" should not be there.
I'm thinking along the same lines as Henrik here in that the : is the key to the interpretation.

From a gameplay sense, 2 CP and a corruption check upon tapping the Ranger would seem particularly harsh for a card that only did one of the two things.

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:31 pm

Then, what means highlighted or (and what would means highlighted and, or and/or as written on From The Pits of Angband) if not exclusion?
There are other expensive (in terms of CP and corruption check) cards like Lore of The Ages or Tales of The Hunt, which seems less usefull than Promptings of Wisdom (even exclusive). However nobody says, that these cards are badly written.
Cards which effects both returns company to the site of origin and (if site path math the same conditions as company's site path) taps company's new site affect only companies without ranger - tapped or not, so presence of ranger in company is sufficient to avoid it's returning effect.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:23 pm

I agree that highlighting or means player must choose effect.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:35 pm

given that the "or" is in bold text on the card and therefore emphasized, it would seem more likely that it is indeed one or the other. :)

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:53 pm

I'm in the highlights camp here. :o At least, I have always assumed one declares which effect (of the two) the ranger is tapping for, when he taps to use Promptings. Can't think of any other reason why the or would be so stressed.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:22 pm

Did we ever get resolution on this?  Has the Net Rep team taken this under consideration yet?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:07 pm

If you want the NetRep team to look at something, the surest way to get that accomplished is to ask on the email list.  This forum is not perused by Herr Chad Martin, der NetRep, so unless Wim or I sees an urgent need to get an official ruling on a question, topics here do not receive official answers.

That being said, I guess I'll ask now ;)