Foo Unleashed

Discuss the way <b>you</b> play (strategy, etc., etc.)

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Which 'Unleashed' card do you think is most effective?

The Hunt
9%
Hobbit Lore
3%
Eyes of Mandos
20%
Herb Lore
No votes
First of the Order
No votes
Hoarumath Unleashed
51%
Akhorahil Unleashed
11%
Ren Unleashed
6%
The Witch-King Unleashed
No votes

Total votes: 35

Zarathustra

Foo Unleashed

Post by Zarathustra » Wed May 12, 2004 8:37 pm

Each of the ringwraiths has an "Unleashed" card, but so also does each of the wizards. &nbsp;They are:

Alatar - The Hunt
Gandalf - Hobbit-Lore
Pallando - Eyes of Mandos
Radagast - Herb-Lore
Saruman - First of the Order.

Here's my ranking of the ringwraith unleashed cards and the wizard unleashed cards (in separate lists):

Ringwraith:
1. Hoarmurath Unleashed
2. Akhorahil Unleashed
3. Ren Unleashed
4. The Witch-King Unleashed
5. Uvatha Unleashed
6. Dwar Unleashed
7. Indur Unleashed
8 Khamul Unleashed
9. Adunaphel Unleashed.

Sad to say, but everything below number 4 on that list is pretty much unplayable. &nbsp;So much for "unleashing" the nazgul :(. &nbsp;Still, some of them are good, even great.

Hoarmurath Unleashed takes top prize because of it's incredible usability: cancel any attack! &nbsp;I've found there's two ways of going about using this card: if you're playing vs a hero, put two of them straight in the deck and one in the sideboard, tapping hoarmurath the turn he comes in to bring it over. &nbsp;The reason for this is that you can't play the unleashed card until the rw is in play, so there's no point in holding onto a bunch of these cards while you wait for the ringer to show. &nbsp;The added advantage in playing hoarm unleashed vs heroes is that everyone who can afford it seems to play as the Lidless Eye, Sauron, or the Hog vs heroes if they're minion-aligned. &nbsp;This gives you a bit of the element of surprise, as well as allowing you to play the following set of cards: Hoarm unleashed (much better than Eye never sleeping), Above the Abyss (a very underplayed card -- one of the very very few minion cards that untaps a character!), Bade to Rule, While the Yellow Face Sleeps, and Lt of Dol Guldur squatting with Hoarm at Dol Guldur, controlling Ulkaur the Tongueless and playing the haven faction/long grievous siege. &nbsp;Whew! &nbsp;It's a big combo, but look at what it gives you: cancelling any attack you like, untapping your characters, hand size 11, a squatting sage, 5 character points, 1 faction point, and 1 misc point! &nbsp;With Bade to Rule in play, your main company can take up 16 GI, leaving 9 for the lieutenant.

Next on the list is Akhorahil Unleashed. &nbsp;Taking any magic card to your hand has almost unlimited possibilities. &nbsp;Imagine: Akhor in Fell Rider mode treks over to your hero opponent's site, uses deeper shadow to fizzle anything that gets thrown at him, waltzes past creatures and the automatic attack with Sojourn in Shadows, then opens up a can on them: Malady, Malady, Malady; Unleashed, Malady; Unleashed, Malady; Unleashed, Malady; Dark Tryst (draw into more Malady), Malady, Malady, Malady.... &nbsp;You get the idea. &nbsp;This is one of the most lethal combos in the game. &nbsp;You can wipe out an entire company with it, especially if you throw in a Morgul Blade for when you CVCC the lone, remaining wizard. &nbsp;There are other uses for this card, however. &nbsp;If you're not into maladying the heroes, you can use Akhorahil in Heralded Lord mode against minions (9 DI!) to rouse the dragons up north. &nbsp;Sojourn, Deeper Shadow, Tormented Earth (also, throw in a Regiment for added fun) should protect him against any unwanted nastiness; then have him use words of menace and deceit to boost his DI to 14. &nbsp;You only need to roll a 2 to rouse Itangast! &nbsp;A nice way to go about this is to have him tap to put 5 resources in your discard pile the turn he comes into play: Aggy Roused, Itangast Roused, Smaug Roused, Well-Preserved, and Malady. &nbsp;Use the Parsimony trick that I explained in a different post to fetch yourself a faction, then head out to dragon country. &nbsp;If Akhor does get wounded, or if you feel you need to influence away your opponent and then malady his minion butt, just fetch those cards out of the discard pile with Akhor Unleashed. &nbsp;The main thing to keep in mind with this kind of deck is that if you bounce Akhor or get him killed, you're toast. &nbsp;Also, you'll need 3 forced marches (and probably some weigh all things) to keep him moving and playing somethign every turn.

Ren Unleashed. &nbsp;The only word for this is NASTY :twisted: ! &nbsp;Unlike Akhor, Ren doesnt cycle magic cards back into the deck as he uses them, so this seems to me to be more of a one-turn, end-of-game combo. &nbsp;It goes something like this: bring in Ren at his homesite, Barad Dur, and have him collect up the Creature of an Older World and the Helm of Fear. &nbsp;When he's ready (and when your pitiful hero opponent is prepared with a nice load of corruption), head out with a bunch of forced marches to your opponent's site. &nbsp;Use deeper shadow/sojourn to get there unscathed, then touch off with 3 maladies, 3 unleashed, and CVCC. &nbsp;Perhaps easier said than done, but if it works... :twisted:

WK Unleashed: This is best used as an end-of-game surprise when playing against a minion opponent. &nbsp;It runs something like this: bring in witchy-poo at his homesite of Shelob's Lair, and each turn have him tap to bring over a card from the sideboard: Last Child, Sojourn, Heralded Lord, Words of Menace and Deceite, and Unleashed. &nbsp;When you have the last child and sojourn in hand, it's a breeze to get into the site untapped, so play Shelob for a big 3 MP ally. &nbsp;Next turn, cruise over to Minas Morgul with the giant spider in tow. &nbsp;The turn after that, gear up into Heralded lord mode, and go influence away whatever your opponent has in reach (don't forget shelob doesnt like to stray far from home :( ). &nbsp;Witchy-poo will have 19 DI!

As I said, the rest of the ringwraith unleashed cards pretty much suck. &nbsp;I'll put the wizard ones in my next post.

MRA
Last edited by Zarathustra on Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed May 12, 2004 8:51 pm

Time for the wizzies!

My ranking on these is more sure, since there's only 5 and their usefulness is so varied:

1. Eyes of Mandos
2. The Hunt
3. Herb-Lore
4. Hobbit-Lore
5. First of the Order.

Eyes of Mandos just plain rocks. It can be useful in almost any deck to fetch up whatever it is you want from your deck now. In a Big Elves [TM] deck, you can use it to find Stars of High Hope or Echoes of All Joy to keep them in play. In a badbeard deck you can use it to grab the Deeper Shadow/Aiglos/Dragonhelm combo I explained in a different post, or the ever-coveted Strident Spawn. Basically, if there's any unique card that you want immediately, Pallando's looking-glass gives you a good chance of finding it.

The Hunt comes in second, despite the fact that it is so horribly underplayed. Consider this combo: The Hunt/Old Thrush and call for Mouth of Sauron! If your opponent is using the mouth character (either as a full-fledged character or just to do the recycling stuff I explained in another post), this will really blow his socks off, as well as getting you 3 marshalling points to boot! Another nice one is: The Hunt/Forewarned is Forearmed/Assassin. Suhweet! But wait, there's more! Put an Elven Rope on Alatar, and have him hunt the ubiquitous cave-drake (or some other such creature). Perhaps the best (and biggest) combo involving the hunt is: use sacrifice of form earlier in the game, bring alatron back in at edhellond, have him crush some creature (any of the above, or something else, if you like), and play the White Council! You can even have him take a short jaunt over to nearby Minas Tirith to meet Aragorn by chance and crown him king! That's over 10 MPs!

Next is Herb-Lore, which is useful if you're playing one of those tap-radagast-to-sideboard-then-run-through-a-bazillion- :w: -and-draw-a-bazillion-cards decks. It doesnt even matter if he get's sent back to site of origin by skin-changers, he can still play the Herb-Lore, and use it some other turn to heal up all his pals.

Hobbit-Lore and First of the Order both suck. I fear there's never going to be a good use for these cards. Oh well. At least 3/5 made the cut this time. That's 60%. The ringwraith unleashed cards only got 4/9, which is roughly 44%.

Cheers,

MRA

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Thu May 13, 2004 6:44 am

First of the order unuseful ?????

It's the basic card of any my Saruman decks! I use him influencing everything and with that card i can pass the stupid corruption test of 3 with wizard's voice or similar :wink:

So i vote for that card :wink: The best ...

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu May 13, 2004 11:33 am

Hello,
First of the order unuseful ?????

It's the basic card of any my Saruman decks! I use him influencing everything and with that card i can pass the stupid corruption test of 3 with wizard's voice or similar

So i vote for that card The best ...
People still run that deck???

Would you mind posting a deck list, as I've never seen one of these decks run successfully?

... but thinking about it, I still wonder why you'd waste slots in the deck with first of the order... can't sorryman just use a new friendship to make his cc auto? I mean, you have to have 3 new, 3 old, 3 wiz's voice anyway, so it doesn't hurt to blow one on the cc....

MRA

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Thu May 13, 2004 11:41 am

I didn't say it's competitive (but it's not that bad ... i'll post as soon as i can) ... i prefer that card to the friendships 'cause my Saruman goes ALONE to influence and battle (maximum 1 character, but in particular cases) ...

Anyway i like that deck ... you are not forced to build a competitive deck to have fun :wink:

Anyway ... i have 2 kind of this deck, one with a fallen saruman, one with the hero ... i'm honest to say i prefer the hero one ...

For now ... basic cards are:
Sacrifice of Form
The windlord found me
The White wizard
Wizard's river horses
Wizard's voice
First of the order

... i just have a question here ... And forth he astened can untap a wizard?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu May 13, 2004 11:48 am

Hey,
... i just have a question here ... And forth he astened can untap a wizard?
It sure can, which is quite helpful in jumping over rivers on the way to your opponent.

The reason I was surprised you said you ran this deck is that, with the coming of the balrog set, it's been completely nerfed. Why? Beorning-Skin Changers. Saruman will never make it out of Isengard! He's too much of a wuss, gets scared off by bears :(.

Sorry...

melkor_morgoth75

Post by melkor_morgoth75 » Thu May 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Zarathustra wrote:The reason I was surprised you said you ran this deck is that, with the coming of the balrog set, it's been completely nerfed. Why? Beorning-Skin Changers. Saruman will never make it out of Isengard! He's too much of a wuss, gets scared off by bears :(.

Sorry...
I know for that reason he can "join a warrior friend in those cases" ... in the turn he awaits for him he take cards from sideboard/discard pile :wink: But most of time he was born at rivendell with another company just there ... so i pick up directly the warrior with him. In my experience the main problem of that deck is corruption ... i remember only some defeats by a 2 or 3 roll, i've lost in no other way :wink:

I'm honest to say that here in Italy may be me and another guy only have the beornings ... so it's fine for me :wink:

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:59 am

I'm gonna change my mind and say that Akhorahil Unleashed is the best.

I just looooove to Malady... &nbsp;:twisted: &nbsp;:twisted: &nbsp;:twisted:

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:32 am

Looks like the only three that are in the running are the three I expected ;)

Voted for Hoarmurath's ... the best by a fair margin IMO

karmi

Post by karmi » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Ren Unleashed without a doubt - the artwork depicts him making his fearsome finishing move in a pay-per-view hardcore wrestling event held at Barad-Dûr.

The crowd chants: REN UN LEASHED! REN UN LEASHED! REN UN LEASHED!

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:49 pm

I'd certainly say hobbit-lore is worse than first of the order. &nbsp;It's hard to get out and then it gives +2di vs. hobbits? &nbsp;That's real lame. &nbsp;At least first of the order actually helps with something useful and you don't have to tap for it.

As far as the wizard boosters go I think Eyes of Mandos is the best.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 pm

Zarathustra, I'm curious as to why you rated Uvatha Unleashed higher than Dwar Unleashed. &nbsp;I always thought that being able to use region movement (not to mention move without a mode card/ally) outranked an Uvatha-only Forced March. &nbsp;In all probability, though, there's an aspect I haven't considered.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:27 am

There is indeed: you still need a mode card to use Dwar Unleashed :(.

Uvatha can get a bunch of beefy followers in Black Rider mode and do some real damage with Forced March/Unleashed. &nbsp;Dwar is just... meh.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:14 am

Ah, it's in the CRF. &nbsp;What was the reasoning behind that ruling?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:23 am

Got me. &nbsp;I didn't make it.

It's an ICE-era ruling, so we're not messing with it.

More fodder for your UEPs I suppose....