Novice player looking for soe deck building advice.....

Discuss the way <b>you</b> play (strategy, etc., etc.)

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

shmitty

Novice player looking for soe deck building advice.....

Post by shmitty » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:29 am

I am a casual MECCG player, although I really enjoy the game. &nbsp;The decks I build are generally more about recreating the feel of the books than necessarily being really effective. &nbsp;I tend to play casual games with some friends that don't own their own decks, so I try to keep the strategies of the decks accessible (ie. simple combos and minimal sideboarding).

Right now I have 3 hero decks and I will probably add a 4th down the road. &nbsp;What I need help with is building a minion and a fallen wizard deck.

Years ago I toyed with a minion challenge deck, but the play style didn't suit me. &nbsp;It also seemed that the deck was not really built to go up against hero decks very well. &nbsp;What I would like to build is a Minion deck that involves an active Ringwraith. &nbsp;I am not too fond of camping, rather I like the image from the books of the Black Riders terrorizing the countryside.

So, does one of the challenge decks lend itself to an active Ringwarith? &nbsp;If not, which Ringwraith is best in that role? &nbsp;Are there particular cards I should try to get? &nbsp;Or strategies that I should employ?

Also, this deck would probably see most of its play against Hero decks. &nbsp;Is there anything special I need to consider in how I assemble the minion resources for the deck?

Beyond that I also think I am going to build a Fallen Saruman deck, which from what I gather is not very effective, but boy is it thematic. &nbsp;Any suggestions on how to make the deck play well with others?

Thanks

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:32 pm

You might find the following deck helpful. &nbsp;It contains only three rares, and it uses an active ringwraith strategy:

http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

shmitty

Post by shmitty » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 am

Thanks, that was helpful. &nbsp;It is good to see that an active Ringwraith strategy does not need a ton of rares.

Is it worth the time to run a multiple Ringwraith company using the Witch-King's ability?

Zakath

Post by Zakath » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:59 pm

Not really. It's awkward just to get them into your deck and then into play, and then moving the party is just as awkward. It's too many cards you have to hang onto at the same time to really be viable imo.

shmitty

Post by shmitty » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:36 am

Zakath wrote:Not really. It's awkward just to get them into your deck and then into play, and then moving the party is just as awkward. It's too many cards you have to hang onto at the same time to really be viable imo.
Thanks, that is good to know as well...

Is there anything about building a minion deck to keep in mind if it will only face Hero decks?

Likewise, what changes could be made to a Hero deck if it will often face a Minion deck?

Are there particualr hazard strategies that work well against one or the other?

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:30 am

shmitty wrote: Is there anything about building a minion deck to keep in mind if it will only face Hero decks?
There are cards like Above The Abyss, which can only be used vs Hero. Quite effective at least in SB. Consider using Sauron/Lidless Eye. The biggest advantage of most Minion decks is speed. 3x Dark Tryst is never a mistake.
shmitty wrote:Likewise, what changes could be made to a Hero deck if it will often face a Minion deck?
Watch out not getting too near with weak non-warriors. Minions like to smack littles.
shmitty wrote:Are there particualr hazard strategies that work well against one or the other?
vs Minion creature decks work quite well (orcs, Undead, Elf-Lords, Maia, Dragons)

Have a look in the deck section!
http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?t=938