Dwarven rings

Discuss the way <b>you</b> play (strategy, etc., etc.)

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Uncletrunx

Dwarven rings

Post by Uncletrunx » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 am

Hi all,

I'm a n00b on these forums and someone coming back to the MECCG after quite a few years off. I had a fair selection of cards back in the '90s, put them away when I moved house in 2002 or so, found them again a few weeks back and feel it would be fun to play again.

Anyway, many years ago I tried to create a "Dwarven Ring deck". This failed miserably (the Dwarves in question were frequent victims of corruption and the deck seldom got more than one of the rings into play.) However, finding the cards again made me wonder if such a deck was viable in any way. Having spent a week or two browsing the forum, I'm yet to see any real mention of the Dwarven rings; is it taken as read that they're not a viable source of MPs, or is it possible to base a deck on them?

I'd be interested to hear your ideas.
I am not a pawn, this is not a game of chess

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:55 am

A dwarven ring deck is pretty challenging deck to play. Mostly because of corruption and slow engine. Check out these topics for start:

The best dwarven ring deck I have played against.

Not so good deck but the topic has some good discussion over the deck type.
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:57 am

Hi Uncletrunx,

on the one hand they made it even harder to play rings at all when they included Rolled Down To The Sea to the White Hand expansion. As its also the number 1 dunking-deck counter card its included in almost every hazard portion vs hero.

On the other hand Rumours Of Rings (The Balrog) made it it much easier to test rings without decreasing your handsize dramatically.

And as you mentioned corruption is a huge problem. When you look at the cost - benefit - relation you easily see that its much easier and less risky to play big MP-cards just as Palantiri, big MP factions, White Tree etc.

The only way I saw somebody playing a Dwarven Ring last time was Durin`s ring to untap a site in a squatter deck. And this was a minion deck....

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Rolled down to the Sea wasn't about when I last played; that would make what I was doing previously even less possible!

I never was that competetive, I just liked playing to a theme / with a backstory behind the deck. Sadly, my dwarves weren't ever much cop...

Do the Dwarven rings work best as a subset of another strategy / sideboard option?

Vastor Peredhil

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:54 pm

As I see it...

your kind of game lacks much needed dream cards, which you can find here or in the council of elrond forum.

just PM for entry permission to the private sections

mfg Vastor Peredhil

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:57 pm

I did once such deck , but the problem wasn't the corruption but too much mp from items - after third ring you have 18 points from one source

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:32 pm

I didn't get to 3 rings. I was lucky to get 1 and keep it!

Mind, the deck was a first attempt with a very limited card set.

I kind of worked out that 1 Dwarven ring (perhaps a second in the sideboard) plus some lesser / magic rings might be the way to go; perhaps some factions / allies which can be found in the same areas as the rings and a whole load of corruption busters and cancellers might make it work a little better?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm

A Hero Dwarven Ring deck could feature Saruman to recycle the Wizard's Tests at Ost-in-Edhil while Durin's Tribe untaps the site. &nbsp;You can play Animal Factions there and &nbsp;Here, There, or Yonder your allies. &nbsp;You can include Minion Mind Rings in your deck to defend against rolled. :)

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:40 pm

Also, someone going to Lorien for a few brooches also helps.
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:46 pm

I know Gandalf isn't much cop in a One Ring deck, but could he work here? The greater probability of rolling a Dwarven ring means Gandalf's tap to test ability might be appropriate; this could free up more resource spaces for other useful things. I'm guessing several tests would be vital in the sideboard in case someone else pulled Gandalf out, but it's a thought. A useless thought possibly, but a thought none the less!

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:47 am

The advantage of Wizard's Tests over Gandalf is the two rolls. &nbsp;The advantage of Gandalf is no need for resources/recycling. &nbsp;It's six up and half a dozen down.

If you really want to go crazy using the Dwarven Rings, Gandalf with Narya can untap a Dwarven Ring user. :)

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:03 am

So Gandalf with perhaps a test and some more in the sideboard might work?

Narya scares me; I can see the awesome power of it, but it looks high risk, with that modified corruption check, especially in a corruption vulnerable deck. That said, if I'm packing corruption busters anyway, it might just be ok.

Any suggestions on which dwarves to use? Dwarf factions look like a possible bonus of this deck type but my concern is having to run around in dragon territory and being vulnerable to corruption and dragons!

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 am

I'd us ethe idea of An Unexpected PArty.. all those dwarves can handily tap to support corruption. Start with Thrain, Gloin OIn... 2 rangers
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

Uncletrunx

Post by Uncletrunx » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:47 pm

I think I'll go for a deck with some dwarf rings in it, with perhaps some other rings to make it a little more rounded; other things may have to be based on the locations I'm going to.

I'm going to need to start a "wish list" of cards to make it worthwhile, starting with An Unexpected Party, Rumours of Rings and The Dwarves are upon you. I also need to get hold of Thrain PDQ.

Potential deck list to be put up as I work on it...

stone troll

Post by stone troll » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:15 am

Here's an old "trick" that can help vs. Rolled Down to the Sea-start with a minion minor ring such as binding ring. &nbsp;It has no effect (other than the corruption &nbsp;:( ) but it does provide a handy ring to discard the first time your opponent plays Rolled.