Long Dark Reach Combo

Discuss the way <b>you</b> play (strategy, etc., etc.)

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

Zarathustra

Long Dark Reach Combo

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:13 pm

So we've all tried Long Dark Reach in its normal capacity as a way to throw dragons and/or nazgul at someone. And that means we've all lots huge points to people who slew our dragons and/or nazgul. Most of the time, in fact, Long Dark Reach is no better than a cave-drake or sellswords. But it's such a cool card: there must be a way to use it!

That idea ran through my head once, and I came up with a particularly nasty combo to play with Long Dark Reach: Wild Fell Beast.

The Wild Fell Beast will rarely if ever be playable, which means it will suffer a prowess modification of -4. Even then, though, it comes out with three defender-choosing strikes of 8/6. The key here is the body: defeating three strikes with 6 body in a row is pretty unlikely (though of course by no means impossible). Even if someone defeats your wild fell beast, though, they only get to MPs and they have to tap all untapped characters in the company. :idea:

Can't figure out a way to stop Glorfindel, Elrohir, Elladan, and Gildor with 3 Stars of High Hope? Now you can just tap them all and play a River (or even not play a River...).

The main problem with this trick is making sure you get the Wild Fell Beast as opposed to some other creature. Probably the best option is not to play other creatures that actually work with LDR (so use Assassins, for example), so that if you get them instead of WFB when you search the top of your play deck there's no harm done. One way to increase the chances of getting the WFB is to use An Unexpected Outpost to recycle the beasts/reaches so that you have a high concentration of them near the end of the deck. It can be nasssssty.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:28 pm

I have one such deck that uses this strategy. I also use the big dragons but so far I've never been fortunate enough to draw one of the wild fell-beasts from playing the long dark reach. My time will come though...

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:31 pm

Edinburgh, year 2050 : Jambo holding a hand of MECCG cards in his hands, muttering "one day ... one day"...

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:38 pm

Tegarend wrote:Edinburgh, year 2050 : Jambo holding a hand of MECCG cards in his hands, muttering "one day ... one day"...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

However, Jambo has a point. Indeed, the Long Reaching Beast is a neat trick, but hard to pull off. Also, there's the typical problem of multiple companies (you can't Reach them all), squatters, wilderness avoiders, etc.

On the plus side, you can hit Gondor decks (that avoid the :w: ) with Knights of the Prince. I mean, you play it regularly, as LDR won't affect it.

Nameless thing

Post by Nameless thing » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am

Sorry if i am mistaken and the combo below is illegal. I have not the card texts here but I have to ask. What about Long Dark Reach + Umagaur/Buthrakaur? Must be quite a lot of fun to see it work.

Sfan

Post by Sfan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 pm

I am sorry Pavel, but LDR only works with Dragons, Nazgul or NON-unique creature. Otherwise it would be a very powerful card.

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:50 pm

And another mentionable thing: AFAIK Long Dark Reach breaks Stealth, cause you dont play a creature but a short event! Where do you hide now you stupid hobbits?! &nbsp;:P

Nameless thing

Post by Nameless thing » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for the clarification. :oops: &nbsp;I had not the card texts available in the time of my post so the only positive thing I can find about my question is that it just strengthened the need to quote the card texts in the Tips and Tricks forum.

Anyway, is there a file with all the card texts available on the net? Yes, it is possible to google most of them (and I do that frequently) but I haven't come across such list. As a newbie here on these fora (but not in MECCG - since 1995), I haven't read all the discussion here yet, perhaps someone added a link somewhere else.

FYI: I have NetMECCG with its deckbuilder but on another computer (this one is not mine and I am not allowed to install anything here) which I do not have here, so the card texts there are of no use when I visit meccg.net from this PC. The same pertains to GCCG.

Thanks a lot in advance

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:36 pm

The Dutch site has a useful spoiler list:

http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/

Simply click on spoilers in the menu; they're organized by release set.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:42 am

Old Tuk wrote:And another mentionable thing: AFAIK Long Dark Reach breaks Stealth, cause you dont play a creature but a short event! Where do you hide now you stupid hobbits?! &nbsp;:P
I'm affraid you are wrong, the creature is not keyed to the company's site path, but it's still played, and Stealth says: "No creature hazards can be played on his company this turn"

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Long Dark Reach
Playable on a moving company with at least one Wilderness [w] in its site path if you have at least 10 cards in your play deck. Reveal the top seven cards of your play deck. One revealed Nazgûl, Dragon, or a non-unique creature (your choice) immediately attacks the company (regardless of its playability requirements). The creature must be be playable in a region besides Coastal Sea [c]. If the creature could not normally be played on the company, modify its prowess by -4. Shuffle all unused cards and return them to the top of your play deck.
So as I see this, the creature is not played. Long Dark Reach forces a creature to attack while LDR resolves. I saw that beeing played like this by members of the NetRep. ;-)

Any other opinions here? Is there an ultimate definion of "playing a card"?

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:21 am

Ah, see your point - it's not played, it's revealed? I wonder can you defeat and take points from this?

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:09 pm

When you defeat all of the strikes from a creature [...] the creature's card is placed in your MP pile.
This is from the Lidless Eye rules book. So I dont see a reason why one should not receive the marshalling points of a defeated creature which attacked due to LDR.
Playing a card is the process of bringing a card from your hand into play.
And this is from the CRF (-> Play a card). Ergo: The creature is actually not played and Long Dark Reach breaks stealth.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 am

CRF wrote: Long Dark Reach
&#183; The creature does not count against the hazard limit. &nbsp;
&#183; A creature must be played if there is one available.
:P

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:03 pm

*sigh*

Seems like the CRF conclusions are contradictory here. To me it looks like they didnt use the word "play" in the LDR "clarification" in the sense they meant it in the "playing a card" quote. Looks like there is some clarification needed. &nbsp;:?