[minion resource; defunct new challenge] Ren Into the Deeps

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Zarathustra

[minion resource; defunct new challenge] Ren Into the Deeps

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:27 pm

Josh Hunholz and I discussed a certain desire that we've heard voiced periodically in the MECCG community: "challenge decks are fun, but there's only ten of them.  Why not make 4 more for the remaining rws?"

Well, today I took that challenge up, and I came up with resource portions for Ren, Akhorahil, Uvatha, and Khamul 'Challenge Decks' that can be preassembled before a challenge deck tourney and used if more than 10 people show up (or even if fewer do, and they just want to try something new).  These decks haven't exactly been honed yet.  For one thing, I only took account of the 3-rares-per-deck standard so far (they are marked with an *).  I havent' had a look at how many uncommons, fixed, etc. are in each of these decks.  However, with a little help, I think these can be made into good, competetive, but not-too-competetive 'challenge decks' that wouldn't get their butts whooped or win every time in a challenge tourney.  With that in mind, here is the first: the Ren deck.

Pool:

Shagrat
Radbug
Jerrek
Mionid
Tros Hesnef

Foul-Smelling Paste
1 Blazon of the Eye

(5 more needed!)

Characters in Deck:

3 Ren the RW
1 Lagduf
1 Baduila *
1 Orc-Tracker

Resources:

3 Blasting Fire
1 Ancient Black Axe *
3 Iron Shield of Old

1 The Balrog *
1 Great Bats

1 Orcs of Gundabad
1 Goblins of Goblin Gate
1 Orcs of Angmar

3 Orc Quarrels
2 The Under-Roads
3 Dark Tryst
2 Voices of Malice
2 Crept Along Cleverly
1 Host of Bats
2 A Nice Place to Hide
2 Weigh All Things to a Nicety
1 Bade to Rule

Sites:

Dol Guldur
Carn Dum
Mount Gundabad
Mount Gram
Goblin Gate
Moria
The Under-Leas
The Under-Grottos
The Under-Gates
The Under-Vaults

SB:

dunno yet.  Sudden Call I guess....

Play Tips:

Since you only have so many sites, it becomes pretty clear what to do.  Stay up top for 1 or two turns playing Fires and Factions.  Pick up Baduila, who controls Tros, then head for the deeps to grab the balrog, the axe, and some shields (not necessarily in that order).  I think it should work nicely.

MP Breakdown:

Character: 9
Item: 11-13
Ally: 5
Faction: 5-7
Total: 30-34

I need a haz portion (with no rares) and a sideboard.  I was thinking maybe spiders?  Any help?  Please remember that challenge decks don't use cards from the BA set, but they use all others.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:08 pm

Wolves are a possibility, since you're going to be using Under-Deeps movement a lot.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:40 am

Alternatively, Ren could get a ring deck, perhaps even with the One Ring in it (rares would be One Ring, Oracle's Ring, and Rumor of the One, maybe?).  He could use his +2 to ccs ability better that way.

Whaddaya think?

Frodo

Post by Frodo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:09 am

First of all, Mark, it's pretty cool that you're doing this.

I think your Ring idea would be more original and interesting. First of all, it would *really* complement Ren's ability, which is kind of useless anyway unless you're making a palantir deck. Second, it would expose players to another resource style of playing besides the normal and usual--and isn't that the idea of a challenge deck? Finally, it would complement the hero Gandalf deck well.

How to do it? Make the deck designed around getting rings, but still going to the underdeeps, with the sub-goal of going to the undergrottoes where the roll is +1. Have one Ring Test card in deck or SB; the player should ONLY test a ring if he's here, and can attempt to replace with the spirit ring or the One Ring. Finally, your 3rd rare should not be the Rumor of the One, but World Gnawed by the Nameless, or Far beneath deepest delvings, whichever one is the resource that lets you move again in the underdeeps, and then returns to your hand. So getting the one ring back to Baraddur is therefore a SLIGHT possiblility (otherwise, just extra movement).

Sounds fun to me!

Oh--and start Strange Rations to get on Ren, or have the card Above the Abyss in there, so it's possible for Ren to tap twice in one turn (to give +4 to CCs if that One comes out).

Frodo

Frodo

Post by Frodo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:11 am

Oh-- and what if the hazard strategy was an item-pilfer strategy?

Again, something different. It would also make the deck work nicely against decks that are similarly trying to get rings--or the One. So lots of Brigands, undead with CC checks, few lure of expediences.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:39 am

Only 1 test card?  That seems, well... suicidal!  Shouldnt there be 3 test cards and some weighs?  With scroll (gotten at moria) and grottos, the roll for the minion One Ring is an 8.  No wiz's test, though, so it's quite tough.

On second thought, palantiri might be a better idea....

BTW, neither rations nor above the abyss will work.  RWs can't use items, and AtA says it doesn't work in the rw's company (think of it as an inverse And Forth He Hastened).

Item stealing would be a cool strat to go with either of these.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:45 am

I take it you can't use Whispers of Rings being a Balrog card?  That would make a ring deck slightly easier.

Frodo

Post by Frodo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Well, with only one spirit ring in the deck, if you put in too many test cards those 2 point rings will roll away into the shadows and be replaced by nothing.

Without Whispers, it doesn't seem worth it to stuff too many special ring items in the deck.

I would put as many ring tests in the deck or SB as there special ring items (not including the one ring)--certainly no more than 3. Again, getting the One Ring is an alternatre, wishful-thinking plan. Can't just squat at the Undergrottoes turn after turn trying to test for it successfully.

You might consider making the third rare a Black Rain? Yeah!

Oh yes, forgot that about RWs--and the arkenstone thing. I knew that never playing a Ringwraith deck in my life--including a challenge deck--would come back to haunt me with those rules questions!

By the way, Palantiri would also be a cool idea, if you think the Ring thing would be too clunky. Of course, Palantir might be too. We'd want them to be actually able to use said Palantiri, of course. If you go this route, have one of the rares be a Bane of the Ithil Stone, for super-theme and to remind players that minions are immune to such cards and can still use them.

Frodo

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:35 am

What about The Oracle's Ring, a Bright Gold Ring, and the Beornings for rares?  Edoras for the Bright Gold, Amon Hen for the auto-test, and Beorn's house to use the +4 DI.  Make it a covert company so they can walk through the autoattacks and use Not Slay Needlessly.  Also, covert boys are more... shall we say, sagacious? than their overt counterparts.

Throw in some crappy rings for grabbing at Gladden Fields and Bandit Lair. Maybe even the Scroll at Moria....  I'm likin it!

Frodo

Post by Frodo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:29 am

Sounds good. Does that mean you think the under-deeps thing isn't worth it? Yeah, all that work for just a +1. If you use a Dwarf in the covert company, you could stick in one of the minion dwarven rings as well. There are no other good uncommon ring items, right?

Perhaps we should move the influencing-hazard strategy to this deck? Then, this deck's one extra rare could be Black Rain; and the player would have a chance to actually play this nifty card with an excellent probability of their being a character in the opponent's hand.

Frodo

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:09 pm

I'm sorry, extra rare?  :?

They all get 3 rares exactly.  I could drop the Beornings for a different faction, I guess.  Just thought it would be neat to use another :F:.  All the minion dwarven rings are rare iirc.  That means Black Rain AND Dwarven Ring can't fit in unless Beornings AND Bright Gold go.  I suppose we could put in the :B: rings instead.  They're not rare and they can be tested for Spirit Rings (unlike the :R: gold rings...).

Underdeeps: probably not worth the effort, and you only get about 10 sites in challenge deck games anyway... it's a long haul back to barad-dur....

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:07 pm

I think the minor item Dwarven Rings are uncommon, but I'm not sure.

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:21 pm

If the tribe name begins with a T, it's an uncommon  :P

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:57 pm

There are no minor item dwarven rings.  All are special.  There are minor item mind rings....

Leuber: aren't thelor's and thrar's rings TW (hero) Unc but AS (minion) rare?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:10 am

Zarathustra wrote:There are no minor item dwarven rings.  All are special.  There are minor item mind rings....
:)

I meant the Dwarven Rings that fetch minor items.