ICE Promo map updated!

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

ElricX

ICE Promo map updated!

Post by ElricX » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:33 am

Hi all! I have updated the ICE promo map. I have added the 16 hero sites who are not on the map released by ICE. If you want to print this map I recommend you the 11x17 size.

I added:

Cirith Gorgor
Nurniag Camp
Raider-Hold
Gobel Mirlond
Geann A-Lisch
The worthy hills
The Iron-deeps
The Gem-Deeps
The pukel-deeps
The under-galleries
The under-gates
The under-courts
The sulfur-deeps
The under-grottos
The under-vaults
The under-leas

NEW! I have added a Under-deeps chart

P.S. If anybody can give me the right position of the sites I added..

Enjoy!

P.P.S. If anybody have comments and/or suggestion...

To download the map in HIGH quality click on the url http://elricx.free.fr/images/promomap_full.jpg[/img]
Last edited by ElricX on Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:13 am

Cool and useful!

ElricX

Post by ElricX » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:21 am

And I'm working on a Minion version of the promomap...

Coming soon! ;-)

Sauron_the_Great
Location: Alfter, Germany (normally Barad-Dur, Mordor but I'm on holidays at the moment)

Post by Sauron_the_Great » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:35 am

Indeed something which should have been done since longtime! Thanks for that!

But also a little downer: Could you also add site-type symbols to the under-deeps-sites? If yes, thanks in advance!!

Yours, Markus

ElricX

Post by ElricX » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:39 am

ok I will work on that... ;-)

Vastor Peredhil

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:02 pm

One thing to critizise is that, Worthy Hills should be in the Rast Vorn (the forest on the left tip of the Cardolan landtongue)

Otherwise everything is nead

mfg Nicolai

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:29 pm

Only other thing to criticize (maybe?) is that there's no dotted lines between adjacent underdeeps sites.  Most people don't have the underdeeps map memorized, so adding such lines might prove useful (though ugly...).  Perhaps on GCCG this could be made a feature where you can hit "Ctrl U" or something to see the lines and then hit it again to make them go away....

In any case, thanks!

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:17 pm

I wouldn't try to add an under-deeps map into the normal one like that. It just becomes a mess. Adding the sites like ElricX has done is about as far as you can go IMHO.

None of the six extra sites seems to be in the correct place though and fonts text / symbols don't quite seem to blend in yet. In fact, for this work I'd recommend a fresh start, rather than the color-challenged version currently remaining at the Dutch Council site that only got worse in yet an extra recompression step.
Last edited by Gwaihir on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:07 pm

Yeah, you're probably right....

Best thing to do I guess would be to put an underdeeps map on the back of the regular map.

ElricX

Post by ElricX » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:22 am

Here is the new version of the map...

I'm actually working on 2 things:
-put the site on the right place on the map
-finding the right fonts for the new sites

After these thing I will stop my work.

New map:
-- see next post --

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:03 am

Whoopsies.. those are way to big to throw onto the casual visitor. :roll: I attached them to this post instead.

Actually, I have all site locations (on ICE materials) and have been wanting to make a fresh scan for years. Would be cool if you could figure out that font type, then we could use it on a fresh, higher quality scan.
     I did the scan you're using too, including the fixes (Elven shores, Dead-marshes site type, Andrast - Old-Pukel Gap issue), however later on I lost the orginal (65MB which we printed A0 size) in a HD crash) and the jpg on the website accidentally got converted to bmp and back, thereby loosing a lot of quality.
Attachments
promomap_low_quality.jpg
From first post: with MP bar
(485.62 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
promomap_full.jpg
From ElricX's post above: with sidebar
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

ElricX

Post by ElricX » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:47 pm

I have scan my original promomap for this map. My photoshop file is in  300dpi and is optimized for 11x17 print size. I think it's the best quality we can have with a scan. Because i'm on a 56k I didn't upload my 65meg file on my web server.... but If you think it's really necessary I can do that at work..?

I have lower the size of my promomap_low_quality. I have put him back on the first post...it is better?

And do you prefer with Marshalling point bar or not?

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:02 pm

ElricX wrote:I have scan my original promomap for this map. My photoshop file is in  300dpi and is optimized for 11x17 print size. I think it's the best quality we can have with a scan. Because i'm on a 56k I didn't upload my 65meg file on my web server.... but If you think it's really necessary I can do that at work..?
Right; that's about the same size "original" I had. Pity you don't have a fast connection, or I'd be much interested to work on stuff like this together. For example: I've been thinking about a map with info on an edge, much like you present here, printed on table size, for use during demo's.
I have lower the size of my promomap_low_quality. I have put him back on the first post...it is better?
Yes, for a "thumbnail" impression of what's there to download this is much better. In fact, I'd suggest even smaller: some 50 KB. Such is enough for a first impression and friendly on those wandering the board with smallband, such as yourself, or with rigid download limits.
And do you prefer with Marshalling point bar or not?
I don't think such a bar will be used much; to use it you need to free sufficient table space for the map and not move it all game. Most of the time I see the map on the side, getting moved around during the game, or simply smack in the middle under the cards (move the cards a bit if you need to see a specific area), as I tend to do myself.

ElricX

Post by ElricX » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Well for sure ! I'm interested to work together to increase the feature of the map. I think I will buy the Maps book to get the maps. And maybe this will give to us a better map.

P.S. Sorry for my poor english!!

ElricX

Post by ElricX » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Hi! Anybody know if Worthy hills and weather hills is the same place?

Because I have see in a Middle-earth encyclopedia the "weather hill" site is near from weathertop in the south...

Maybe the hills on the map between barrow-down and tharbad?