ICE Promo map updated!

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

asphalt

Post by asphalt » Tue May 30, 2006 9:19 am

I downloaded the maps you linked and they really look nice.

As for making a vector map for MECCG, that could be made in a simple way: the region borders could be reproduced from any one .jpg map with the properly accurate working on the nodes, in order to reproduce the borders lines curves. Then sucha regions "grid" (which may be enriched with sites) could be scaled at whatever size and be applied on any physical vector ME map, such as this one. The work's final result may eventually look really cool.

dulcaoin

Post by dulcaoin » Tue May 30, 2006 2:54 pm

asphalt wrote:I downloaded the maps you linked and they really look nice.

As for making a vector map for MECCG, that could be made in a simple way: the region borders could be reproduced from any one .jpg map with the properly accurate working on the nodes, in order to reproduce the borders lines curves. Then sucha regions "grid" (which may be enriched with sites) could be scaled at whatever size and be applied on any physical vector ME map, such as this one. The work's final result may eventually look really cool.
Yes, you pretty much reiterated exactly what I was thinking, including linking to the color version I was speaking of (but note; that version removes must of the Northern Wastes and Far Harad, so the black-and-white original would likely be the better starting point; the colorization should be trivial to "port" back to the original map though).

After my posting, I opened up the Corel Draw version of the map to see how it was put together.  I was amazed; these guys do great work.  Each portion of the map has been "layered" separately, so the roads, text, mountains, and so on are all defined separately, and can be turned on or off at will (In Corel, not in the .PDF version of course).  

It would be very simple* to add additional layers containing various MeCCG-based items, such as sites, or an under-deeps map, and so on, and the one source could then generate exacting copies of various map types.  One could basically reproduce all the various maps from the German Wizard's Companion (those maps are more numerous and useful than the original English edition of the book), plus additional materials published later.

I was HOPING Patrick might have his interest piqued, since he did such laborious and admirable work on the previous map (hint, hint,  :wink: )

As it turns out, I created fully-scalable vector versions of the original site and region icons that I created in Corel Draw a couple years ago; though I understand Patrick did the same separately (yet in a different application, I'm presuming?)

-- joshua

* site icons and region icons would be "simple", the region borders would of course take quite a bit of work; many hours.

Edit: Originally I referenced the Player's Guide, when it was the Companion I was talking about

asphalt

Post by asphalt » Tue May 30, 2006 4:47 pm

The project you outlined is very interesting, I got something very close to that in mind as I readed your first post. The multiple layers allow tons of possibilities  :) : a single .cdr file may be the blueprint to make hero, minion, fw, and even balrog specific maps in .pdf format, giving the chance to create different map versions, each one displaying different infos and concentrating on different game issues, similarly as the maps at the very last pages of the wizard's companion...
This whole thing may deserve a new specific thread...  :wink:

Moreover, I just had an idea to simplify (and speed up) the job required for the region borders layer: I think a raster-to-vector software could work well. I've downloaded several softwares of that kind, I'll make some attempt and see what I can get out of it.

pferris

Post by pferris » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:29 am

Did you ever get around to doing a minion version?