Identifying which expansion a card belongs to?

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

EndersGame

Identifying which expansion a card belongs to?

Post by EndersGame » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:44 am

What's the best way to figure out which expansions cards belong to?  Someone has offered me a lot of 1000 cards, but is not that familiar with the game and can't really identify which expansions the cards are from.  I'm mostly interested in Hero cards, rather than the cards from the Lidless Eye set and expansions.  What can I suggest to him as a way of figuring out which expansions the cards come from?  

I guess one alternative is to find a complete list of all cards somewhere, identifying which expansion they are from (but I haven't found such a list).  

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:48 am

Firstly, lots like this tend to be from TW/TD rather than later expansions.

You could describe the pinkish colour of hero resources and the dark purple of minions resources, or send him an image (or internet link)

Theoretically, cards have an identifier above where the CP value would be (ie on the right side), being something like an F for TD, something like a B for DM (they're runes, actually) and something like an h for LE. Sadly, a lot of LE cards don't have this rune, or it is poorly visible.

Good luck!  :wink:

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:37 am

don´t forget about the year, when the cards have been published.
as far as i know english TW Lim have 1995, TW UL have 95/96, TD and DM have 96, LE, AS, WH and BA have 97.
since you prefer the Wizards sets, this might help you also.

EndersGame

Post by EndersGame » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, that's helpful!  And to check individual cards, people could check the rarity lists for each expansion, as found here:
http://fan.theonering.net/morgulrats/st ... #cardlists
Thanks again for the help!

EndersGame

Post by EndersGame » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:07 pm

There is a complete card list here, arranged by expansion:
http://www.rpweld3.com/reviews/metw.html

dulcaoin

Card Identification Runes

Post by dulcaoin » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:25 pm

Here's a message in this vein that I posted on boardgamegeeks (interestingly, to a thread response based on a review by EndersGame, small world), that I think bears repeating here:

----

Regarding runes on MECCG cards (this is probably past due for the original query, but might help others):

* The Wizards: (Limited Edition) No rune, black bordered cards
* The Wizards: (Unlimited Edition) No rune, blue bordered cards

All the rest were Limited Edition, Black Bordered:
* The Dragons: shaped a bit like a bent "F" (translates as "D")

* Dark Minions: shaped a bit like an angular "B" (translates as "M")

* The Lidless Eye: shaped a bit like a bent "H" or a stylized capital "N" (translates as "E") [Note that this expansion has very faint runes, when can see them at all. Couple that with the fact that many cards are the same name as Wizards cards and... it's best just to use the lists]

* Against the Shadow: shaped almost exactly like "<" (translates "S")

* The White Hand: shaped like an upside-down "Y" (translates "H")

* The Balrog: shaped like a backwards angular "R" (translates "V" -- note that this was likely a mistake at ICE - if the rune hadn't been "backwards", it would have translated as "B")

HTH,

-- d