Nearest Haven

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Wacho

Nearest Haven

Post by Wacho » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:57 am

I was looking over some MELE cards when I noticed something a little strange.  There are a few sites (3 by my count) that list one Darkhaven as the nearest haven, but actually have another haven as the closest one.  The three sites are Dunnish Clan-hold, Dol Amroth, and Vale of Erech.  All of these are closer to Geann a-Lisch than the site they actually list (Carn-Dum or Minas Morgul)  Anyone know of why ICE did this?  I'm assuming it wasn't a mistake of some kind.  Was it simply because GaL is such a lame darkhaven?

Not sure where this topic should go so I posted in general.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 pm

Was it simply because GaL is such a lame darkhaven?
I think there's your answer.  Plus, everybody knows of Angmar, Dol Guldur and Minas Morgul from the books, so these made clear and obvious choices as darkhavens.  I kind of wished ICE had just not bothered with Geann a-Lisch as a 4th haven.
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Fri May 05, 2006 3:48 pm

I dont know the books that good, but has Geann any story-based rights to be a haven?
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Fri May 05, 2006 6:04 pm

I'm not aware J.R.R.T. ever mentioned the place, so I think it was ICE invented. Note that Edhellond wasn't exactly a haven either in the time period MeCCG is set, so apparently the perceived need for four havens was strong from the start.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Fri May 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Actually I think there are some havens in Gondor mentioned in the Lord of the rings.  I'll try to find the reference.

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Fri May 05, 2006 8:40 pm

Well, the only reason GEann was probably chosen, is that its otherwise kinda far to get from Carn, Dol or MM to say Isle of the DEad that Live
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D