Magic....I always hear how....

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Tolma Silvertoes

Magic....I always hear how....

Post by Tolma Silvertoes » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:53 pm

Magic....I always hear how....it is such a great game because this great mathmetician created it.

But you know, all it is is knocking 20 life down to 0 life...thats about all it really amounts to.

With METW there is so many cool elements to the game, including 'chance' in rolling the die instead of just adding and subtracting numbers.

ICE, having already been involved in making games, mathmatics degree or no, created a game that is so much more involved on so many different levels that I cant believe anyone would waste their breath even talking about Magic being created by some math wiz.

Laura and I were comparing text on the cards between METW and magic.
METW has so much more flavor to each card even the little ones that dont really seem to do much in the game, by comparison.

Evertime I hear how great Magic is and the credentials of its creator, I just want to shove a deck of  METW in someones face and tell them to give it a try.

Bad thing is, tho, with the cards being out of print, if they like it too much then thats that many cards less for me to get my hands on....
Maybe Ill just smile and nod and not say a thing  :D

teratzul

Post by teratzul » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:02 am

Wroooong !! you show them the game, if they like it you give them lots of common/uncommon cards ... what you shouldn't do is close the doors to new players !! If this game needs something it's new players !!!

So go ahead and show them the game tell them they don't have to buy anything (people like not having to spend money on things).

For a meccg growing comunity. :D

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:20 am

Magic and MECCG are different, but this does not mean there are not both great games, in different ways. It's not the same thing you seek in both.
I don't know that Richard Garfield is a mathematics genius, but he is one of the best and most successful game designers since the 80's. Beside Magic, which is the most popular one-on-one CCG in the world, he has created Jyhad, which has been awarded best multiplayer CCG. But it does not stop there, and matter of factly, Garfield was already well known among the gaming industry before Magic came into the scene because he has designed excellent boardgames as well.

Tolma Silvertoes

Post by Tolma Silvertoes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:17 pm

I definitely love magic, but it has nowhere near the detail that Ive seen in other games.
Just looking at all the different scenarios and win conditions that can be used in METW makes it far more interesting as a whole, in my opinion.

Its not that I dont like magic...its just when some silly kid makes some comment about no other game can compare because of garfields credentials. So hes a math wiz? ICE has a LOT of fantastic games out there, math wiz or no.... :)

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:49 pm

I think one of the great virtues of MECCG is the story-telling aspect.  Since there's unique characters with interesting backstories, putting them into one context or another by playing some deck allows you to say "Well, Fili also joined up with Aragorn for a while at Moria, and they...."

As far as math is concerned -- it's a good thing to be able to balance the quantitative aspects of the game so that no one deck is too powerful, but beyond that the math is just playing with numbers.  If that's what you want -- try sudoku ;)

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:44 am

I of course like MECCG better than Magic as well. But it's not my point. It's a given the story-telling and diversity of winning ways is greater in MECCG. When I say you seek different things in each game, I mean Magic is shorter, more intense somewhat, more tactical if less strategical, focus is on combat, etc.
A kid who says Magic is "da be3st g4me in da w0rld" just because is stupid, but frankly who cares? It's no reason to bash the game or its – excellent, I stay by that – designer.