Any suggestions on two player, single deck play?

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Tolma Silvertoes

Any suggestions on two player, single deck play?

Post by Tolma Silvertoes » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:48 pm

Instead of building competetive decks, Laura and I are going to build shared deck, no sideboard, and try it that way.

Shes never played and I wanted to get her used to playing without having to go right into deckbuilding just yet.

What I thought is doubling the deck to 60+ resources, 60 hazards, and instead of 20 characters, bumping it up to 30 or more to make it interesting.

Anyone else tried a shared deck?
If so, what optional things did you use?

I saw the idea on one of these sites around, a 'boxed game' rule, but I didnt want to add that much to the game.
I want to keep the game play as close to the standard rules as possible, but just use a single deck for now.

Any thoughts?

:)
"what do they eat when they cant get Hobbit?"

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:42 pm

I've never tried a shared deck so I don't really know, but if you are going to basically double the size of a deck and share it, why don't you just build 2 decks?  I'm not sure why you'd build a shared deck instead of 2 normal decks.  Don't worry about them being competitive or a sideboard just put the cards together and play a few games.  Then once you learn the rules and get a sense of how the game goes and what works and what doesn't you can try out some new things and improve your decks or build new ones.

If you really want to build a shared deck the only advice I can give is don't use a lot of combinations and as much as possible limit uniqueness.  I'd probably put in 2.5 times as many factions and allies as normal (unique ones).  That way one player is less likely to be left without.

teratzul

Post by teratzul » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:24 pm

What you say of a shared deck game sounds like a lot of fun. Even more if you don't use long-combo cards. But as Wacho says if you just want to introduce someone to the game the best way is to build two separate decks. If you are lazy I would recomend using challenge decks  :wink:.

Tolma Silvertoes

Post by Tolma Silvertoes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:25 am

Well, you have to know my wife.
Its going to be hard enough to get into the game without having to bombard her with deck building at first.
With anyone else I play with, theyd insist on having their own deck, but with Laura, shes going to want to jump in and play and if I start getting into deck building right off shes just going to give up and not want to play at all.

I want to get her hooked on the game first, then after she understands it a bit better, she'll start seeing the card interaction in the game and then come up with her own ideas for decks and combinations.

If  overwhelm here with both things right off, playing and deckbuilding, I may as well pack the cards into a box and put them up into the closet now..... :)

I had to do the same type of thing with Magic for a bit. Now she builds her own decks that usually win a good part of the time.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:30 am

You could try using the challenge decks as bases and the new boosters you acquired to make them cooler.  That way the deck-building burden would be kept to a minimum and whoever was doing the building (you for both decks or you for one and she for the other) could focus on putting in cool cards.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:39 pm

yeah, you should just build two decks and then after she learns to play she'll want to experiment and will start building her own

Tolma Silvertoes

Post by Tolma Silvertoes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:31 pm

thanks for the help guys