Play MeCCG ONLINE! [look in here for lots of GCCG tips]

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Jambo

Play MeCCG ONLINE! [look in here for lots of GCCG tips]

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:05 pm

Hi all,

For those of you who are unaware, there's a thriving online community playing MECCG using an online program called GCCG. If you haven't heard of this I can assure you it's fantastic for those unfortunate not to have a real life playgroup. It's fantastic even if you have a playgroup. ;)

You can find out more and download the software here:

http://gccg.sourceforge.net/

For FAQ (system requirements, resizing GCCG window, password info, etc.) visit;            

http://gccg.sourceforge.net/faq.php

Once you got started it's recommended to make a backup file of the  .gccg  directory because it contains personal account info and most notably your password.

There's usually somewhere between 5 and 12 players logged in at any one time and the numbers are steadily growing each day. Don't hestitate to ask for help, either on GCCG or on this forum. GCCG is easy to use with a very intuitive interface. I cannot praise this program highly enough!  :D

Regards

Jambo
Last edited by Jambo on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:50 am

Does this work still? I thought that new GCCG downloads didnt work yet....

MRA

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:57 pm

Not sure zara. I know John France (Baduila) was having problems getting connected to the GCCG server from a relatively recent software download. I asked Wigy and he informed me that there had been a corrupted download, but assured me that it was apparently fixed?!

If someone who has installed the software recently and logged in/tried to log in can confirm either way, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Jamie

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:34 pm

Last week (June 3) I downloaded and installed for Windows without any problem other then finding something to open the Linux style archive file(Windows installer, used on a Win98 laptop).

Last Saturday I updated my "own" install through cygwin (on WinXP) also without any problem.

There has been a corrupted version on the site a while back, but that has been solved. Wigy did say he had compiling issues for Windows (again), but that merely means the Linux and Mac clients available are currently slightly newer than the windows one.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Strider

Post by Strider » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:40 pm

Has anyone installed it for MacOSX? I would like to, but get lost in the instructions with the terminal thing. :?
"You can't stop the signal."

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:45 pm

I've done the cygwin install on windows, which is basically the same thing.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Strider

Post by Strider » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:00 pm

Could you tell me how to do it? Thanks!
"You can't stop the signal."

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:55 am

What program can you unzip that .tgz file for the windows installer with? I can't seem to find one that works :(.

MRA

Yü-Gung

Post by Yü-Gung » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:21 pm

Zarathustra wrote:What program can you unzip that .tgz file for the windows installer with? I can't seem to find one that works :(.

MRA
My WinRAR is able to open .tgz files. I needs some persuasion, since it doesn't recognize the extension. I right-clicked on the file and selected 'open with...' and then selected WinRAR to open it.

(WinRAR is available as a trial at rarlabs.com)

.tgz is a gzipped .tar archive. Any archiver that can handle gzip and tar should be able to open it.

Jambo

GCCG key commands

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:52 pm

Just to help new players on GCCG, from memory here are a few of the useful key commands for playing MECCG. I'm not logged in at the moment so I can't check them to verify they're correct. Other players feel free to add to the list anything I've forgotten.

Bear in mind that, if you're stuck, right clicking when the pointer is over different parts of the game elements (e.g. over a card, over the discard pile, over the sideboard, over the playmat, over a card in the hand) will bring up available options and appropriate key commands.

Generic commands:
ctrl + 1: Org. phase
ctrl + 2: Long-event phase
ctrl + 3: M/H phase
ctrl + 4: Site phase
ctrl + 5: End-of-turn phase

ctrl + u: Untap all characters
ctrl + r: Roll dice
ctrl + c: Toss a coin :)
ctrl + s: Shuffle playdeck
ctrl + e: End of turn
ctrl + m: Brings up location map (same as clicking on your location deck).

Whilst mouse pointer is over a card:
Home: Puts to location deck if site card, or playdeck if non-site card
Del: Puts to discard pile
Insert: Puts to hand
End: Sets card aside?
ctrl + f: Reveal/Hide card
ctrl + +: adds a MP to the card type (e.g. on opponents creature + 1 KP)
ctrl + -: opposite of above
MMB on character: Taps/untaps character
hold ctrl + LMB and drag to another card: attaches one card to the other
ctrl + LMB: detaches card from another

Region symbols:
ctrl + shft + w: Wilderness
ctrl + shft + b: Borderland
ctrl + shft + f: Free-domains
ctrl + shft + s: Shadowland
ctrl + shft + d: Dark-domain
ctrl + shft + c: Sea

Sites:
alt + shft + r: Ruins and Lairs
alt + shft + b: Borderhold
alt + shft + f: Freehold
alt + shft + s: Shadowhold
alt + shft + d: Darkhold
alt + shft + h: Haven
Can't remember Darkhaven.

When the location map is open (ctrl + m):
ctrl + alt + LMB over a region will insert the region symbol and the region name. This is very handy for conveying region movement quickly.
ctrl + middle mouse button apparently does the same thing...

Jamie

Peter

Re: GCCG key commands

Post by Peter » Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:51 pm

Jambo wrote:Just to help new players on GCCG, from memory here are a few of the useful key commands for playing MECCG. I'm not logged in at the moment so I can't check them to verify they're correct. Other players feel free to add to the list anything I've forgotten.

<snip/>

Sites:

<snip/>

Can't remember Darkhaven.
There is no Darkhaven icon. Nice list btw :).

Just to add my 2c here's a list of commands that make the game more enjoyable. It's possible to bind scripts to keys using '/bind script code [ENTER] key'. It's possible to unbind a key (reverting it to default behaviour) by using '/unbind [ENTER] key'.

End of Hazards: '/bind {magenta}End of Hazards'
This simply prints a End of Hazards line on the screen in the spirit of the End of Turn key.

Finding all the cards you have: '/select have'

Finding all the cards in a set that you don't have: '/select have and set="set-acronym"'
Set-acronym is one of TW, TD, DM, LE, AS, WH, BA, PR and PRde.

Entering sealed mode: '/sealed amount-of-money'

Switching between sealed and normal mode: '/sealed'

Ending sealed mode: '/sealed end'
Transfers all stuff bought and won in sealed mode to normal mode.

Adding all your hero sites to your deck:
Open the deck editor. Click on the sites line. Right click on the sites line and select 'add all hero sites'. Right click on the sites line and select 'add some havens'. Right click on the sites line and select 'remove cards not owned'.

Keeping a character tapped when untapping all (CTRL-u):
Right click on the character and select 'tap and keep tapped'.

Yelling: '/yell text'
Useful for rules questions since all the logged in players will see your message.

-- Peter[/b]

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:08 am

Peter, thanks for the extra information. I'm sure that will help a lot of people. Just one question: For the binding of keys, at what point does the actual key get added to the following type: '/bind {magenta} End of Hazards'? Likewise, is it possible to bind keys in the manner of ctrl + a key, e.g. ctrl + r for roll dice?

Cheers

karmi

Post by karmi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:38 am

Jambo wrote:For the binding of keys, at what point does the actual key get added to the following type: '/bind {magenta} End of Hazards'? Likewise, is it possible to bind keys in the manner of ctrl + a key, e.g. ctrl + r for roll dice?
"/help" command is the most useful of them all! :P

"/bindk" types the bound text
"/bind" types the bound text then presses enter for you

Both wait for a key combination (e.g. ctrl+alt+t) to be pressed after you type in the command.

The command I've found the most useful is "/bindk /find ", bound to alt+f.

Btw Peter: Your "End of Hazards" statement is a bit inaccurate and robotic-like. "I'm done playing hazards for that company." would sound better in my ears. It was hard to adjust to magenta color too, everytime I saw that command I was about to scream "No no, it's not your the end of your turn yet!" I guess I've played too many games with GCCG. :D

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:36 pm

Is it possible to play solitaire on line?

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:37 am

I do not know of a program that supports the solitaire as suggested in the rulesbook (different decks / piles than two player).

GCCG does have one player table that you can use to fool around at to get familiar with the interface as well as to use during deckbuilding (some people like to put cards on the table in a play-like fashion to orient themselves on what an under-construction deck still needs).