Play MeCCG ONLINE! [look in here for lots of GCCG tips]

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Kees

Post by Kees » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:36 pm

Kees wrote:The window in which GCCG opens is too big to fit my screen, and I can't resize it. Is there a fix for this problem?
Ah, I figured it out already. :)

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:38 pm

Would be cool if you'd post the answer in such cases; for the next person that comes along with that question..
GCCG's FAQ wrote:1.2. Graphics Setup
1.2.1. What is recommended resolution?
The resolution 1024x768 or above is recommended, while 800x600 is still playable. See also 1.2.4.

1.2.2. I don’t see what i am typing?
Your Gccg-window is too big for your screen. Increase your resolution beyond 1024x768, move the window upwards, use full screen mode or resize the window.

1.2.3. How do i set full screen mode?
Windows: edit the batch file (Game.bat) which launches the game and replace the line
ccg_client.exe --user %USER% %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 game.xml
with
ccg_client.exe --full --user %USER% %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 game.xml

Other systems: launch the client using
./Game --full

Note: Ctrl+Alt+F toggles full screen on and off, but it works only in Linux currently. Waiting for SDL library to implement it for other systems too.

Note: In windows, you can go back from the full screen mode using Alt+Tab.

1.2.4. I can’t resize the window?
The application is not yet very easily resizeable. You can add parameter --geometry 800x600 to get 800x600 screen for example. Follow instructions in 1.2.3. replacing the parameter --full with your desired geometry setting.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Kees

Post by Kees » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:21 pm

It doesn't have to be a common desktop size like 800x600 though, 1000x700 is nice when you have a desktop size of 1024x768, it just fits with some spare room, which is optimal in my case.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:01 pm

Could one of the Mac OS-X users let us know where the .gccg folder is located on their system? I got a question about this from a Mac user, but I am not sure. Is it /home/<username>/.gccg or is OS-X organised differently?

Knowing where it is, is a first step in making a back-up, for possible recovery of lost passwords and / or decks :). Fact that the folder is hidden seems to be a bit hard on some.
Last edited by Gwaihir on Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Bog Wraith

Post by Bog Wraith » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:11 pm

That was me Wim!

The problem is not WHERE the gccg folder is located on the Mac.
You have it right, for me it is...

Home/JD/gccg

The problem is the ./gccg folder that is separate and visible on a Windows machine, (and thus easy to make a backup for), is invisible inside the gccg folder on the Mac side.

Not being very experienced at the Terminal on Mac OS X, I forgot the command to make this directory visible so as to see the Username file with the password and my deck lists.

I don't use the command line very often, so my knowledge of using the Terminal and the subsequent language is very small.

You gave me the command line lingo for this last year. Unfortunatley, you don't remember doing this! No Problem. I thank you for your help earlier today!:)

I need the command line lingo to make this directory visible, then I can make a backup of that folder for future use when I need to re install my software, as was the case this time.

The rest of the normal gccg folder with all the images and files was backed up by me a long time ago. It is this ./gccg folder that I need to back up. But in order to do that, I have to SEE it first! :wink:

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

The .gccg folder (& Mac)

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Eh, yes :?, I am obviously aware it was you. So you do know about these folders but just never bothered to try the 'ls -al' I suggested over and over? :x
Bog Wraith wrote:The problem is not [..]
Look; if you like to be helped, you need to give your help the benefit of the doubt. :!: &nbsp;There is no way anyone can help if you are unwilling to try the suggestions given, as given. There is no point in starting about 'gccg' or './gccg' yet again when I wrote '.gccg' and it certainly doesn't help that you refuse to try anything but some magical command that your believe you will recognize when someone tells it too you, but that exists only in your mind. The course you are on, you are just wasting other people's precious time and frustrating them. I am jumping off that wagon. I am writing down the relevant details for reference to you and others, to supplement what was written last year, as that is strictly about moving, not copying. From there on out you're on your own.

.gccg folder
GCCG stores it's client specific details, such as passwords and decks in a folder named '.gccg', seperate from the program's folder, 'gccg' (not inside it). The program creates the folder the first time it is started. You are recommended to keep a good back-up of this folder with all it's content. It's not big; it will for example fit on a floppy with ease.

On windows its location is normally 'C:\.gccg'. On Linux and Mac OS-X it is /home/<yourusername>/.gccg.

Linux and Mac: invisible
On Linux and OS-X, a folder who's name starts with a '.' is invisible. Linux users tend to be used to such hidden settings folders, but some Mac users find it a bit daunting. Therefore, some tips on finding and manipulating this folder.

First: the .gccg folder itself keeps its hidden status at all times. There is no way you can tell the folder to not be hidden anymore, as that is simply what the '.' at the start means. What you can do is 'look better', so hidden folders do not elude you.

The simplest way to do that is probably to tell your favourite file browser (the program that's like the explorer on windows), to show you hidden files and folders too. You will then see them alongside all other files in your graphical tool and can easily make a backup copy and put files back later as needed.

To do this, go to the program's options and look for a setting about hidden files. It shouldn't be all that hard to find, though unfortunately I cannot give more detailed instructions, as I am not familiar with whatever program it is you use.

The alternative option is to use the command line (a terminal). In there

Code: Select all

cd /home/<yourusername>
ls -al
takes you to the right folder and shows its contents including the hidden stuff. You should see '.gccg' in that list.

It's there? Good. Then you can make a backup copy of the folder and all in it with

cp -R .gccg backup.gccg
You'll notice that this new folder is not hidden. That's because its name doesn't start with a '.'. You can now move this folder to some place safe, like a floppy disk or whatever you use for your back-ups.

If you need to restore it, for example because you reinstalled your computer or bought a new one, place that backup.gccg folder back in your home folder and do

cp -R backup.gccg .gccg

ender

meaningless problem :

Post by ender » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:38 pm

whenever i try to log in i get the following message:
connecting to blah blah ...
incorrect password!
maybe someone has already registered player named ender
ABNORMAL EXIT!

well and i tried changing my login ->doesn't work
tried reinstalling the soft-> no better
thanks for your help

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Re: meaningless problem :

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:18 pm

ender wrote:well and i tried changing my login ->doesn't work
That should work. You sure you are using the setting --user <username> correctly? (Covered in GCCG FAQ and prolly out here on this board already too.)
tried reinstalling the soft-> no better
That won't work. Reinstalling doesn't get you the missing password.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

GCCG firewall settings

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 am

This information is for those of you running a really thight firewall.

The GCCG client uses the following communications across the internet:
-> DNS: UDP on port 53, outgoing & incoming
-> Metaserver: TCP on port 29130, outgoing
-> Gameservers: TCP, one port each in the range 29500-29599, outgoing

Nariam

Post by Nariam » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Dang I have such a stupid question. I have just registered in Gccg and want to set my email but can't enter "@" ... Any quick help would be appreciated!

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:49 pm

Yeah, seems to be the case with certain keyboard lay outs (Spanish one, I believe?). I think I heard someone say once that he found a way to do it anyway, but I don't remember what is was. It doesn't matter much though: it's for human reading only, so you could just enter [at], or something like that instead.

Nariam

Post by Nariam » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:29 am

I suppose the program hasn't seen many swiss keyboards, then... Thanks for the reply, really no problem if it's for human reading only.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Ctrl + Alt + 2 = @

Spanish keyboard here :)

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Nariam wrote:I suppose the program hasn't seen many swiss keyboards, then...
I guess the program's seen them all by now, but well.. the programmer so far moved from Finland to South Africa. Perhaps if you've got a job for him and / or his wife in Switserland for next year? ;)

Nariam

Post by Nariam » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Hmm... I would be so interested in playing this game... But I don't even understand the basics, and can't find the info neither here nor at the gccg site &nbsp;:( if I just didn't look right, I'd appreciate any links.
Maybe I'm really just dumb, but I don't get it! It's about playing virtually with the cards you actually own, so you have to type these in somehow... but how? I've tried the /select have order, to which it just replies "creating new filter", but nothing happens... the "haves" seem to be only the spare copies you want to trade away anyways. Once I've got the cards in, I'll sure have a lot of other questions :? I really hope to learn it as I was quite enthusiastic first because I have no real playgroup :w: