Play MeCCG ONLINE! [look in here for lots of GCCG tips]

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:50 pm

There's some decent info in the FAQ (see opening post) and some more spread over this thread. Other general tips to start out: <F1> or /help, /help <command>. Right-click on everything including the black void. &nbsp;And when back in anyway (I did see you in there a couple of times, right?) ask your fellow users things while looking around.

Your virtual collection is not linked to what you own in real life (so you can't input your collection either). To collect you just start from scratch (again). You don't need to own the cards to play with them though; collecting is just a bonus.

/select have will show what you have, not just what you offer for trade. You're confusing it with /have <username>, which compares your wants list with <username>'s offers list. However, you start with nothing, so /select have won't show you much and more specifically: it doesn't open your collection binder. Try ctrl-b and ctrl-p to open up that part of the GCCG universe :)
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Nariam

Post by Nariam » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks for the patience and advice! I sadly don't have anymore time now, but I will try again soon... guess it'll start working then. &nbsp;:D

Beornd

Dice Rolls!!!!

Post by Beornd » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:37 am

Can anybody explain, how the dice rolls works in GCCG. I really don´t know very few about progamming like this.

In last weeks i often see in my games snakeeyes (2) but only on my site and not at &nbsp;my opponent.

Now i test my rolls with 3 series of 100 rolls and there i was very surprise about the percentage from rolls 2,3, .... to rolls 10,11,12.... its roughly 50 percent.

so - is this normal - or only luck - or could be any difference about my soft- or hardware to another pc ?

i know its a bit a silly question but i hope if anybody can explain i will sleep a little bit better in &nbsp;the furture. :?
bb

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Re: Dice Rolls!!!!

Post by Gwaihir » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:05 pm

Rolls are made by the server, not the client. IIRC this was done as a precaution against cheating; because the client doesn't roll, there's no way to rig its rolling either. It also means that your own soft- or hardware cannot influence the roll in any way, nor can you (on average) receive more advantegeous rolls than your opponent. (I just verified the server-sideness by unplugging my internet connection. You'll notice that some functions (the client side ones) of your GCCG client continue to function, where others (the server side ones), such as rolling, only produce an error.)

So, that leaves us only to wonder how close to (or far from) ideal dice the server rolls. I know that wigy once tested with very large numbers of rolls and was quite satisfied with the results. That was on the gandalf server, of course, so our current server could somehow deviate, but we have no reason to assume so and it is quite unlikely and immensely unlikely that it will be worse than an average set of real dice.

In real games people already curse the dice a lot. With virtual dice that tendency seems to grow, because their so.. ungraspable. There's really no reason to though.
Beornd wrote: the percentage from rolls 2,3, .... to rolls 10,11,12.... its roughly 50 percent.
Clueless as to what exactly you're trying to say here. I would hope 100% of the rolls gave a result in the 2-12 range.. :D

300 samples to test whether 36 random possibilities really occur randomly is a very small sample set though, so a pretty wide spread shouldn't be reason for alarm.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:29 pm

hmmm...

...I think Bernd is saying that 50% of his rolls were 2,3,10,11, and 12s, thus very extreme for being a normal dice.

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:43 pm

but statistics works on millions of rolls, not a small sample set. &nbsp;With a small sample set, I could come up with anything.

An Example

A coin is tossed 5 times and get's 5 heads. &nbsp;Oh I guess 100% of the time the coin gets heads. &nbsp;That of course is wrong, over millions of flips it would go back to 50%

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:48 am

The "dices" are surely programmed to roll randomly. That means every number (1-6) hast the possibilitiy of 16,7 %. The expectation of each roll is 3,5. So if you roll with two dices its 7.

The science of statistics says, the more often you roll the nearer the average of all rolls goes to the expactation.

Probabilities of the sums:

2; 12 = &nbsp; 2,8 %
3; 11 = &nbsp; 5,6 %
4; 10 = &nbsp; 8,3 %
5; 9 &nbsp; = 11,1 %
6; 8 &nbsp; = 13,9 %
7 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; = 16,7 %

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:38 pm

300 rolls is hardly a small sample size for statistics like this. &nbsp;Certainly not small enough to produce 50% results of 2,3,4,11,12

I did a set of 178 rolls and found:

2 &nbsp;-- 9
3 &nbsp;-- 10
4 &nbsp;-- 9
5 &nbsp;-- 20
6 &nbsp;-- 21
7 &nbsp;-- 26
8 &nbsp;-- 27
9 &nbsp;-- 21
10 -- 17
11 -- 11
12 -- 7

Obviously some deviation from the "normal" result but certainly nothing out of the ordinary for statistical deviations.

@Old Tuk -- Sure the dice are programmed to roll "randomly". &nbsp;But if I remember correctly true random number generation with a computer isn't that simple. &nbsp;I believe that most computer programs use some sort of number generation that isn't quite random. &nbsp;It depends in some way on something in the system. &nbsp;Of course this works quite well for most purposes for true randomness in scientific purposes it is more complicated. &nbsp;I don't really remember the details. &nbsp;I read this quite some time ago. &nbsp;Maybe someone who knows about low-level programming could tell you more.
Last edited by Wacho on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:43 pm

Basically, nothing random can ever happen in a computer. &nbsp;So you take something that sure to vary significantly (time of day in milliseconds, background static in a microphone) and use that as a "seed" to determine a random number. &nbsp;Either that, or simply put together a seed of several million numbers -- it'll be a while before the computer "loops" back to the beginning.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:16 pm

You could take the digits of pi as inputs, or the clicks of a geiger counter....

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

3-player table!

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:35 pm

There's 3 player table available for the month December. Enjoy it while it lasts!

(The server hardware can only support a limited number of tables, so a 2 player constructed table had to be removed for the time being. This table will be sorely missed when the constructed tournament starts in January, so the situation will be reverted at that point.)

BeeBoy

Post by BeeBoy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:05 am

I've finally installed GCCG on OS X. &nbsp;However, when I run metw, it loads GCCG and tries to log me in as my OS X user name instead of giving me the chance to pick a new user name. &nbsp;It tells me that my OS X name is a 'Bad Username' and closes the connection.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Ah, another Mac brother. &nbsp; :D

When launching the game make sure you use the added parameter --user your chosen username. &nbsp;This will log you on with the name you choose.

BeeBoy

Post by BeeBoy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:17 pm

Wacho wrote:Ah, another Mac brother. &nbsp; :D

When launching the game make sure you use the added parameter --user your chosen username. &nbsp;This will log you on with the name you choose.
Brilliant, problem solved. &nbsp;Unfortunately it's been 2 years since I had my original login somewhere so I'll never recover that account .

bulabula

Post by bulabula » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 am

I have a question about changing the avatars. &nbsp;I know to change your avatar you type /set avatar (name of the avatar). &nbsp;But where do you get a list of the avatars available to choose from?

Bob