News from the CoE Forum

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
fanfarian
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:59 pm
Location: Niedereschach, Germany
Contact:

News from the CoE Forum

Post by fanfarian » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:41 pm

The CoE Forum now has lots and lots "public" threads for all meccg players.

Please join this forum, because the very important NetRep Digests are now moved to this forum.
Also there are many articles regarding CoE motions, international tournaments and other stuff from your elected council.
Suche Spieler im Raum VS, Germany
Webmaster www.councilofelrond.org

Thorsten the Traveller
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 1:17 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Netherlands

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:41 pm

Great, exactly what we need, two competing forums. Thanks guys!

Valarauko/mod. team, I think you've made a mistake by stating that all discussion related to the personal beef issue should be banned. Freedom of speech and openness is the foundation on which any forum is built, as long as discussion is decent and respectful of eachother obviously. The topic shouldn't matter, people talk about movies here too. Besides, this forum is about the community as well, not just the game.
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

User avatar
|Highwayman|
Posts: 337
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:16 am
Location: Poland

Post by |Highwayman| » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:43 pm

I'm also afraid that, although the new COE forum looks very nice and seems to have everything it needs, this will only broaden the gap that has appeared between COE and meccg.net

so to prevent this from happening what can we do?
1 - double post everything here and there so that both parties will get informed of what the community thinks
2 - stop posting anything altogether until things get sorted out and both forums decide to either merge or fulfill different duties for the community

oh, yeah there's also a super secret way number 3 - all parties involved in this 'break-up' could 'kiss and make up' :P, so that we can go back to how things were before  :wink:
Why the heck is signature text limited to only 150 characters now?

miguel
General manager
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:38 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Post by miguel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Valarauko/mod. team, I think you've made a mistake by stating that all discussion related to the personal beef issue should be banned.
Were such discussions unbiased and constructive, you would certainly be right. Unfortunately from what I saw, it was more about some people taking sides and starting to argue with each other. The moderating team is for dealing with incidents such as this, and we respect the privacy of those involved. Everything that has been going on is actually fully known by only a few people, and IMHO it's probably best for the community to keep it that way.

Thorsten the Traveller
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 1:17 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Netherlands

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:51 pm

Hmm, judging discussions by how constructive they are, or how biassed the participants are, is a slippery slope if you ask me. That reeks censorship, sorry to say it. You know, people making suppositions or allegations isn't a mortal sin, as much as I dislike it as tools in a discussion. When there's personal or disrespectful talk you can always moderate that specific post or passage, no need to close it all together.

I'm afraid more people will see it that way, and the highlighted words in Fanfarian's post tells me somehow he agrees. But for sure Fanfarian, I do not approve of this kind of incitive advertisement! enough civil war in the world as it is  :wink:

@highwayman, I choose option 3  :D
but in my opinion a merger would be best.
On the other hand, CoE saw it fit to start their board for some reason, so I'm curious as to their real intention, since this board is working just fine. They are elected? Yeah right, most dictators were elected once :lol:
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Peter
Posts: 517
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:53 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by Peter » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:30 pm

I suspect there are different interpretations of where the line is, with the mod team interpreting it narrowly while others interpret it broadly. That's fairly logical as people don't want to get into problems with the mods. But it can create misunderstandings about censorship and stuff.

It's clear that discussing what has happened between Wim and Mark is off-limits, nobody but those two knows the whole picture anyway (and they obviously both have a different view).

Discussing the consequences of that conflict should be allowed, IMHO, as long as it doesn't degenerate into a flamefest. Mods, could you please tell us if this is allowed and if not where the line?

User avatar
i gwanunig
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:47 am
Location: Graz, Austria

Post by i gwanunig » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:43 pm

And where should I post now my questions ?

For me as a "little" player, just seeking for answers to rules etc.. it is very uncomfti to have to boards ...

PLEASE COME TO A SOLUTION WHICH IS THE BEST FOR THE COMMUNITY - else i fear the community will decrease - and not grow.

We have it anyway very difficult to gather new players, and this hich-hack doesn´t do anything good.

LG i.g.
What business does an Elf, a Man and a Dwarf have in the Steiermark?Speak quickly!

miguel
General manager
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:38 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Post by miguel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Peter wrote:It's clear that discussing what has happened between Wim and Mark is off-limits, nobody but those two knows the whole picture anyway (and they obviously both have a different view).

Discussing the consequences of that conflict should be allowed, IMHO, as long as it doesn't degenerate into a flamefest. Mods, could you please tell us if this is allowed and if not where the line?
You've got it right. Feel free to discuss the consequences, those touch most of the forum users in some way.

User avatar
Sauron
Posts: 485
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:04 pm

Post by Sauron » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:51 pm

i gwanunig wrote:And where should I post now my questions ?

For me as a "little" player, just seeking for answers to rules etc.. it is very uncomfti to have to boards ...
You are free to post your questions in either place.  If you want an offical ruling from the CoE Sanctioned Ruling Body (Net Rep), he has said he will only answer questions in an offical capcity on the CoE Forums, The Mailing List and Emails directly to him.

miguel
General manager
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:38 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Post by miguel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Sauron wrote:
i gwanunig wrote:And where should I post now my questions ?

For me as a "little" player, just seeking for answers to rules etc.. it is very uncomfti to have to boards ...
You are free to post your questions in either place.  If you want an offical ruling from the CoE Sanctioned Ruling Body (Net Rep), he has said he will only answer questions in an offical capcity on the CoE Forums, The Mailing List and Emails directly to him.
Well, to be exact the NetRep's answers on a forum/email or any other non-digest format are not official rulings. Only the rulings published in CoE's digests are official. Should any question posted here on MeCCG.net require an official answer like that, I'm fully capable of bringing that question to the NetRep's attention.   :wink:

User avatar
Sauron
Posts: 485
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:04 pm

Post by Sauron » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:22 pm

miguel wrote:Well, to be exact the NetRep's answers on a forum/email or any other non-digest format are not official rulings. Only the rulings published in CoE's digests are official. Should any question posted here on MeCCG.net require an official answer like that, I'm fully capable of bringing that question to the NetRep's attention.   :wink:
And if you look above I clearly said the CoE Sanctioned Ruling Body, I didn't say the ICE Ruling  :D

miguel
General manager
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:38 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Post by miguel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Sauron wrote:
miguel wrote:Well, to be exact the NetRep's answers on a forum/email or any other non-digest format are not official rulings. Only the rulings published in CoE's digests are official. Should any question posted here on MeCCG.net require an official answer like that, I'm fully capable of bringing that question to the NetRep's attention.   :wink:
And if you look above I clearly said the CoE Sanctioned Ruling Body, I didn't say the ICE Ruling  :D
C'mon Brian, stop trying to confuse me (and everyone else).  :P

User avatar
Valarauko
Moderator
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:20 pm
Location: Maastricht, Netherlands

Post by Valarauko » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:03 am

fanfarian wrote: The CoE Forum now has lots and lots "public" threads for all meccg players.

Please join this forum, because the very important NetRep Digests are now moved to this forum.
Also there are many articles regarding CoE motions, international tournaments and other stuff from your elected  council.
You are insinuating that this forum is a place for a selected group of people; nothing is further from the truth; all are welcome and all will be treated equal by the current Mod Team; fair and just.
The forum moderators are not elected, but election is by no means a requirement or a guarantee for moderators to do their job well.

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Freedom of speech and openness is the foundation on which any forum is built, as long as discussion is decent and respectful of eachother obviously.

Besides, this forum is about the community as well, not just the game.
I could not agree more.
On this forum all are free to discuss and voice their opinions (in a decent manner) on all MeCCG related subjects; the Talk board is ofcourse an exception to "MeCCG related"; all "off topic" subjects will fit there.

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: The topic shouldn't matter, people talk about movies here too.
The topics surely do matter; we don’t want people hashing out personal affairs on our public boards, so topics involving those are not allowed. However, the PM system could be used for such purposes.
Also, the different usergroup boards are an exception; they have their own moderators and are (semi) closed environments.

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Valarauko/mod. team, I think you've made a mistake by stating that all discussion related to the personal beef issue should be banned.
Apparently our statement is poorly worded for it is being misinterpreted.
By personal matters we mean everything that involves questioning peoples qualities as a person in a offensive or insulting way. Note that this is a very subjective matter as it involves peoples’ opinions and perception.
Hence that (possibly too) firm statement can’t be applied as a rule and it is meant as a guideline.

In an attempt to reach consensus about this matter I will suggest my fellow moderators to open up a thread about that statement and about this forum’s policy and invite everyone to post their suggestions and opinions.
...unwise to presume the death of Durin's Bane, for Gandalf only saw him fall, not die...
_________________

User avatar
fanfarian
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:59 pm
Location: Niedereschach, Germany
Contact:

Post by fanfarian » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:50 am

Valarauko wrote:
fanfarian wrote: The CoE Forum now has lots and lots "public" threads for all meccg players.

Please join this forum, because the very important NetRep Digests are now moved to this forum.
Also there are many articles regarding CoE motions, international tournaments and other stuff from your elected  council.
You are insinuating that this forum is a place for a selected group of people; nothing is further from the truth; all are welcome and all will be treated equal by the current Mod Team; fair and just.
The forum moderators are not elected, but election is by no means a requirement or a guarantee for moderators to do their job well.
Simply wrong. The CoE forum was hidden. I found it in a thread in this forum. I registered in November 06 and was activated in Jan 07.
In-between I thought that the CoE forum is only for council members, maybe that was right maybe not.

So I wrote just an advertisement, that the CoE forum is now available for all players and not just for council members - why doesn't matter here.
The forum moderators are not elected at CoE as well, doesn't make sense. The word "elected" allude to the council members, they are elected.

I hope my intention is clear now. :P
Thorsten the Traveller wrote: On the other hand, CoE saw it fit to start their board for some reason, so I'm curious as to their real intention, since this board is working just fine.
I think the biggest intention is that Mark, in his position as NetRep and Chairman, needs a place where he (and the team)
can make their rulings public, and we need this work as ICE left us with many unclear rulings and cards.
Thorsten the Traveller wrote: They are elected? Yeah right, most dictators were elected once :lol:
You can go for the next election If you want to.
I think the CoE needs fresh blood from time to time.  8)

I'm hungry now  :o
cheers
fanfa
Suche Spieler im Raum VS, Germany
Webmaster www.councilofelrond.org

Thorsten the Traveller
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 1:17 pm
Location: Tilburg, The Netherlands

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Fanfarian wrote:
I think the biggest intention is that Mark, in his position as NetRep and Chairman, needs a place where he (and the team)
can make their rulings public, and we need this work as ICE left us with many unclear rulings and cards.
Hmm, to make rulings public, you don't need a forum, since you don't want to start a discussion on the ruling, do you? And anyway, the site can function perfectly without a forum and yet offer a space were rulings/digests etc are published.
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Post Reply