CoE Candidacy

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Zarathustra

CoE Candidacy

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:57 am

The CoE holds annual elections in March. We want to invite all members of the community to consider candidacy for the CoE. As a member of the 9-person council, you will have the responsibility to:
(1) Represent the interests of players like you (i.e., from your country, your region, your game-play style, etc.),
(2) Work on the draft of a possible new constitution for the CoE,
(3) Support active and nascent national councils,
(4) Bring your fresh and innovative ideas to the game, and
(5) Maintain and further develop the COE projects and tasks like JCP, NetRep, Worlds and EC, MECCG Promotion, COE newsletter, players & traders directory, UEP, virtual cards, etc.

Contact the registrar, Chad Martin, if you are interested in running. Time commitments are about 1-3 hours per week.

The deadline to register as a candidate is March 1st.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Re: CoE Candidacy

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:14 pm

Are you posting this list on behalf of the CoE, or is it your personal opinion? I am wondering as, upon reading the charter that empowers the CoE, I can't seem to get beyond (1).
Zarathustra wrote:(2) Work on the draft of a possible new constitution for the CoE
I would hope each candidate and member can act in that matter as he / she personally sees fit. I don't think it's something a current CoE can order succeeding members to do, nor does it seem appriopriate to me to suggest that taking that on is a requirement for running for membership.
(5) Maintain and further develop the COE projects and tasks like JCP, NetRep, Worlds and EC, MECCG Promotion, COE newsletter, players & traders directory, UEP, virtual cards, etc.
Though worthwhile causes, I don't understand why CoE membership would matter for any of these. As far as I can tell the CoE is our parliament. Its members represent the interests of the players and make the politically tinted decisions at the international level. These take the form of motions passed, which are then published. These motions can be general in nature, or empower specific people to undertake specific tasks. I do not see how being a member of the parliament itself (or not) gives one any special priveleges or handicaps with regards to being active for the game, in any way beyond (1).
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 pm

Yes, this is a notice from the CoE, not Mark personally.  We discussed and voted on the text of the announcement before we posted it publicly.  

(1) is the key to what the CoE is all about.  As you say, it's essentially our parlament.  
(2) This is a project that is currently in process.  In the new session, it will be decided how to continue work on this.  If the people elected decide not to work on this, that's their call.  But it's something that will be on the agenda for the new session to discuss (and hopefully complete work on).
(3) This is something that the CoE has always done.  We've been a resource for a new council to come to for resources, advice, and any assistance we can offer to help them get started.  This program was started when Patrick Karcher was the chairman and has continued on.  We're also wanting to help support current councils, and one way will be to offer prize support to councils that ask.
(4) This is more of a hope that we (current council members) have.  We want new ideas and inspirations of projects we can work on.  An example is our newsletter that we started this past year. This is an idea that Joe Bisz brought with him when he joined the council.
(5) Some of these are offical CoE projects that the CoE continues to govern and improve on: the newsletter, JCP, Netrep Team and Worlds, etc.  Some are just projects that we think are good projects led by the players (UEP, virtual cards, etc.)

We're not saying that if you want to do these things, you have to be elected to the CoE. These are all good things for any player to do.  But as an organization, the CoE will do these things, unless changed by the incoming group of elected members.

Bandobras Took

Re: CoE Candidacy

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:37 am

Gwaihir wrote:
CoE wrote:
Though worthwhile causes, I don't understand why CoE membership would matter for any of these. As far as I can tell the CoE is our parliament. Its members represent the interests of the players and make the politically tinted decisions at the international level. These take the form of motions passed, which are then published. These motions can be general in nature, or empower specific people to undertake specific tasks. I do not see how being a member of the parliament itself (or not) gives one any special priveleges or handicaps with regards to being active for the game, in any way beyond (1).
What I think is meant is rather that CoE members need to keep up-to-date on such projects and lend support as necessary.  In other words, it is not so much a privilege as a reponsibility; a member should not be allowed to rest on his laurels and pay no attention to such long-term and potentially beneficial projects.  For example, I would like to see UEPs gain more of an endorsed status.  If the CoE is not paying attention to UEPs, keeping up-to-date, etc., then they are failing in part (1).

That's what is meant.
CoE wrote:you will have the responsibility to:
As a casual player, I have no responsibility to do any of these things.  Should I seek to be a member of the CoE, my responsibilities will change.

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:05 pm

I know it's almost double-posting but some people on our Polish forum have said they couldn't find Chad's post with the link to COE candidates statements and instructions how to vote - probably cuz they didn't look in the "Helping the Community" section but right here where the news about COE elections appeared

so anyway here's a quote of Chad's post for all those who missed it in the "Helping the Community" section
tharasix wrote:Please see this topic on the Council of Elrond forums.  http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... .php?t=187  Voting will run for two weeks.  You need not have an account on the CoE forums to view the information or vote.

Chad Martin
Council of Elrond Registrar
Why the heck is signature text limited to only 150 characters now?