A suggest to maybe add a bit of life to this forum....

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

tbadiuk

A suggest to maybe add a bit of life to this forum....

Post by tbadiuk » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 am

Hello,

Just an idea I wanted to kick out:

Chris Cable has been fairly busy lately I believe, as he has not been able to respond to updates/additions sent to him in a very timely fashion.  Also, after maintaining his site for 12+ years I'm not sure how enthusiastic he is doing all the work/updates.

Now, I know the idea was to let all the trading be handled on Chris's site, but I'm not sure that is the best way.  For example, the folks at www.meccg.es have a forum where users post their have/want lists.  This not only gives the trader control over updates, it also brings people to the forum and encourages them to contribute.

(Note: I haven't run this by Chris yet, I wanted to see what the interest level of allowing a trading section to take place on this site was)

I know there are a *lot* of people still playing/trading/collecting this game.  I watch the Ebay auctions religiously and a lot of money is being spent by people collecting MECCG.  I see MEAS English boxes going for > $300 USD now.  Lots of demand by people who are trying to collect complete sets.

I really think we are lacking a place for trading to take place right now.  I was going to put my own VBB site up but figured it was best not to maybe create yet another site...

Thoughts?  

Ted

bulabula

Post by bulabula » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:48 pm

I am frustrated by the lack of traders from the USA on Chris's site.   Shipping overseas is just too expensive to be worth doing unless it's a really awesome trade.  And like Ted said, there is apparently a lot of interest in the game in the USA given how expensive stuff sells for on eBay.  So my guess is that a lot of people don't know about Chris's site.  I just did a google search for "middle earth ccg trading" and his site didn't even show up.  Maybe an update of some sort to be included in googles searches would be a good idea.

Bob

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:23 pm

There are many of us in the US that know about Chris' site.

I just don't have the time to make lists and upload and stuff.  I just trade with folks I meet at tournaments.  At this point there isn't much I need.

But if you're looking for some things, drop me a line I don't have a super huge collection, but I got a fair amount of stuff.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:01 am

Oh, I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on registered mail in the last 10 years, trading MECCG.  It must be in the $500-$1000 range!   :lol:

I know something needs to be done.  There is interest, but for whatever reason this site is dead.   Chris's site isn't being updated (partly I know because of Chris being busy, partly like mentioned because it may be hard to find)..

You'd think the folks spending $300+ on boxes on MEAS and $350 for MEBA sets would be interested in talking about MECCG!

For the longest time, I was running MELE (French) set auctions on Ebay.  At the top of the listing I would have an info link to this site.  Not sure if it ever helped or not.  I'm thinking of starting up the auctions again just so I can list a pointer to a MECCG group/board.  

Now, of course if I am going to end up starting my own VBB board for trading/etc I'm going to link to that one in the auctions.  Hence, my reason for posting this.  I'd like to get an idea of how 'proactive' the 'management' here want to be.   :lol:

Ted

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:07 pm

chris was always the one to rely on, and he did a fantastic job. but if he is no longer able to maintain his site, maybe its a relief for him to have an alternative?

also there is mahasamatman´s site, where there is still a lot of MECCG trading business going on.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi Wolfgang!

I tried mahasamatman a while ago, and found it...cumbersome.  It's OK if you're just looking for say English cards, but things like special promo's etc (which a lot of traders want to trade!  :lol: ) are a bit difficult to find I remember.  Maybe it's changed since I last looked?

I think the folks at www.meccg.es have a good system.  Just use the message board, separate section called "Trades" and each person gets their own thread to maintain...

Ted

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Trade section on a forum is the best option IMHO.

That's how I've always traded cards online.

I hate website like Mahasamatman. It's the kind of place I didn't use at all after registering and taking a look at how it works.

Gorrath

Post by Gorrath » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm

From the rules of the trade section on this forum:

IMPORTANT: These trading boards are not for posting your trading lists and requests or other forms of trade or sales offers and advertisements. There are enough great MeCCG Trading Pages for that, such as Chris Cable's trade center here on MeCCG.net. We definately don't want to establish another one. If you are looking to buy, sell or trade specific cards, have a look over there.

I think it's not true that there is already enough good places to trade MeCCG cards...maybe it uses to be like this, but it's not anymore.

A trade section on this forum would be perfect and I'm sure itwould see a lot of action!

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:41 am

I agree, there really is no longer a good place.  For whatever reason it's hard to get speedy updates @ Chris's site these days.  Any besides that, well none of the other sites draw much of a crowd.

Who runs this board anyway?  :lol:  We need to get the Admins attention here...

Ted

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:03 am

tbadiuk wrote:I agree, there really is no longer a good place.  For whatever reason it's hard to get speedy updates @ Chris's site these days.  Any besides that, well none of the other sites draw much of a crowd.

Who runs this board anyway?  :lol:  We need to get the Admins attention here...

Ted
You got the attention. A discussion concerning this has been started on the mod board.
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:16 pm

My first impression is that some people are just hasty these days ;). Chris has always been there and still is. He can just be busy at times with other parts of his life. Isn't that what we want most for a trade center: a steady, dependable guy who has his priorities straight?

Isn't it a bit rash to start calling: "it is dead"? I certainly find it fishy to see one person repeat that post after post. When I see such repetition, I automatically start to wonder if perhaps there wasn't a real point to make.. ;)

Anyway, if you feel you do not have enough update control over your own page at Chris', you can simply take full control yourself: you can host your page yourself and have Chris work it into his site. When you look carefully, you'll notice that page's like Patrick Karcher's and my own work that way; they are not actually at the MeCCG.net server, but directly under our own control. This is the way out for people that want to update their pages very frequently (and has been there for years).

What I like about Chris' is that all pages are always in the same place and formatted equally. No ever changing hustle and bustle of whomever updated his forum thread last. Also, for heavy sellers like myself, it is a great relief to be able to generate the page automatically in real time. No way to update a forum thread that way.. (and the frequent updates would drive everyone mad anyway). Last but not least: it keeps trade pages and references nicely together, without public debate and quick flaming on every little thing that might happen and lead to some anxiety.

Another thought: perhaps Chris could use an assistant?
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

tbadiuk

Post by tbadiuk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Well, my point was, there is a problem that I see, let's fix it?  :lol:

I see lots of cards being exchanged on Ebay, so lots of interest is still out there.  Either all those people don't want to talk about MECCG (or trade/etc), or they can't find this site (and Chris's), or something else.  I figured making it more trade friendly would help?  I know I've had people complain to me in emails about a place to trade in the last year or so, saying they wish it was better.  

Ted