starting to play / gccg

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

E.O.N.

starting to play / gccg

Post by E.O.N. » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:04 am

I know there's already a topic started about this, but I have a handful of questions that aren't related to that topic.

So, I downloaded gccg, played my first game of online METW, and had a blast. But I'm still foggy on certain parts.

1. What is the sideboard deck about?

2. This is an etiquette question: Can I edit my challenge decks, and still use them in a challenge game?

3. What's a sealed game?

4. Is there a place that answers all these questions?

5. Is Gwaihir always online? :gollum:

Thanks.

Elwer
Elves will laugh, eat, and be happy until someone points out there's no more hair conditioner.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:23 am

1. It is a bit of a bonus. It gives you some limited abilities to change your deck in game. You can play with out it, so don't worry about it till you are ready for it.

2. No. Sure you can use a challenge deck as a basis for a deck of your own, but it isn't a challenge deck anymore then, is it? Challenge game isn't really an official term btw; but I get what you mean. (I don't think there is an offiical term; generally it is simply described).

Most people grab a the challenge deck when they do not have something else suitable available, especially when training a new player. Having your own constructed decks will only make it easier to find an opponent, not harder.

3. A game - in real life generally a tournament of several games - played with a deck made from a limited amount of product, for example a starter and four boosters each. This product is handed to you (or bought on GCCG) still newly sealed, so you get an honest luck of the draw.

4. http://gccg.sf.net answers most questions about the program. Out here we deal mostly with the game (as do most of your questions). The Dutch Council (here on meccg.net) has good info on rules: the rules inserts, etc.

5. wigy and Gwaihir are almost always logged in. Some more people used to do that, btw. That is why there is this icon indicating "sleep", i.e. his computer is logged in but the user is not at his keyboard. The advantage is that one can easily glance over te happenings of the day and answer any questions there might be.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

E.O.N.

Post by E.O.N. » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:22 am

Thanks! Now, I shall plague you with a couple more questions.

1. I've made my own deck, but when I sat down at a table to play (there was no opponent, I was just testing) there was a lot of talk at the top about cards in my deck not being legal.
The METW game wrote: Note for 2-deck Balrog deck: Cannot have cards like Arinmir in the total.
Note for 2-deck Balrog deck: Cannot have cards like Merry in the total.
Note for 2-deck Balrog deck: Cannot have cards like Hama in the total.
etc . . .
What does that mean? My deck isn't legal? :?

2. What does Register full set . . . (in the opening "window") do?

Thanks again.

Elwer
Elves will laugh, eat, and be happy until someone points out there's no more hair conditioner.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:52 am

1. The system checked if your deck was valid in any format (hero, minion, fw, balrog or sealed). It probably wasn't valid in the format you intended (hero by the looks of those characters), so it checked whether it was valid for balrog, and for balrog those characters aren't allowed.

2. When you have collected one or more copies of every card in a set you can register it and get (total_number_of_different_cards_in_set/2) gccg $. Note that once registered you can't trade or sell your last copy of a card in that set.

Yü-Gung

Post by Yü-Gung » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:17 am

You can right-click on the top of your decklist and choose 'check legality...'
That should help you fix the deck :)

E.O.N.

Post by E.O.N. » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:55 pm

I didn't realize that the decks had limitations like those. When I played Middle Earth The Wizards at my brother's, he just told me the number of resources, hazards, and heros to put in. He didn't specify any restrictions (except that you can't have more than one unique card in your deck). So did I miss something? Bear in mind that although I read almost all of it, I don't have a copy of the rulebook. Should I get one?

I can see you guys rolling your eyes at me right now.

Elwer

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:57 pm

The restrictions on the decks can be found in the tournament policy, on the rules page. The rules inserts are on the downloads page. Both, as said before, currently in the Dutch Council parts of this site.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

E.O.N.

Post by E.O.N. » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:49 pm

Ok, uh. My deck just had an imbalance of hazards and resources. 29 hazards, and 30 resources. I mis-counted. :oops: Sorry.

Now it's legal, I understand the deck legitimitality (if that's not a word, it should be), and I played half a game with it.

Thanks for all the help.

Elwer

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:55 pm

Don't want to start a new threat, but I have started playing online (on sealed decks so far). What sort of breakdown is common for constructed deck games? The rulebook specifies an equal number of resources/hazards from 25 to 50. What is the most common split?

Thanks!

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:08 pm

The tournament rules (generally used at all times) have upped the minimum to 30/30. This (or close to it, like 31/31 or 32/32) is also most common. The chances of drawing the exact card you are waiting for is simply highest when there aren't too many cards in all.