GCCG go Boom?

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Zarathustra

GCCG go Boom?

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:57 pm

I keep getting a "Connection Failed" message when I try to sign onto GCCG. Is it just me, or is the server down?

jahwarp

Post by jahwarp » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:50 pm

Yeah, keep getting it too. So most probably it is down :(.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:34 am

Scheduled maintenance, with the inevitable unscheduled extra issues popping up. It just came back up.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:51 pm

Seems GCCG has gone "boom" now. Word has it that wigy has a crashed hard drive. :(

I haven't heard this from him directly, but since the server is also his desktop computer that isn't surprising. I've sent him an e-mail asking to keep us posted here. Probably that will result in us hearing a "back up" and a bit more about what happened sometime on Monday, here.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Bog Wraith

Thankx For The Update!

Post by Bog Wraith » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:34 pm

Wim,

JD from Toronto here my friend!

Thanx for letting us know. I've been trying to log in a number of times today.

Hopefully Wigy will have it all up and running soon.

Do you know if he has a back up of all the files from the server.
I know that we have our personal info in our folders and specifically in the ./gccg folder, but isn't it also dependent on the server files as well?

I hope we'll all be back on line soon!

JD

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Re: Thankx For The Update!

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:18 am

Bog Wraith wrote:Do you know if he has a back up of all the files from the server.
Yes, wigy told me once that he does keep back-ups. Nor does 'hard drive crash' necessarily mean all data on it was lost, or that there even was GCCG data on that disk (it may well be that he has more than one drive in there, so perhaps it is just the OS drive that was lost).
I know that we have our personal info in our folders and specifically in the ./gccg folder, but isn't it also dependent on the server files as well?
Yes, your collection is stored on the meta-server, as is your win / loss record. Save games are stored on the game server. (Note that we are used to having 'gandalf' (wigy's machine) for both roles.) BTW: you mean the .gccg folder.

Bog Wraith

Post by Bog Wraith » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:50 am

yep, I mean the .gccg folder.

I guess I added the / because of how I use the "./metw" command in the Mac OSX Terminal window to launch gccg! :oops:

See ya soon Wim!

JD

Baduila

Post by Baduila » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:29 am

Tried to connect to GCCG for the first time in a while and I was getting the connection failed message. Guess it's still down then......

Bog Wraith

Post by Bog Wraith » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:09 pm

Wim,

Any news from Wigy, and when the server will be back up?

Appreciate any news you can pass along to us.

Thanks

JD

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:32 pm

Well, http://gccg.sf.net says this:

NOTE: Server hardware completely ruined. All servers down.

in about that same color and size..

So my guess is that wigy tried another drive, but found more trouble. No idea what that comes down to either. Perhaps by the end of the week I'll try for a phone number and give him a call to hear some more / ask if there's any help we can offer.

Meanwhile, pity the backup server hasn't been running in a long time anymore. I guess we'd best look for setting a new one of those up in future - but not much we can do that way now, as we'd need wigy's help on that too.

Bog Wraith

Post by Bog Wraith » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:09 pm

Wim,

I think it might be time for our members to pitch in a bit of $$ to help Wigy with the costs.

Let us know what you & Wigy think about us doing just that!

JD

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:11 am

I don't think costs are currently an issue. However, if anyone runs a "thank you gift" pitch in (cards / beer / ?), I'm in.

Karmi was nice enough to point me toward this tidbit of news:
Wigy, elsewhere wrote:2005-06-06 15:34 (EDT?)
It wasn"t as simple as i thought. The disk seems to be actually ok. Motherboard and/or processors and/or RAM is broken. I ordered new set of motherboard+processor+RAM combo, which will be available on wednesday or thursday. This means that the server will be down at least 3-5 more days, depending on if there is something else broken.

Bog Wraith

Post by Bog Wraith » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:46 pm

More Bad news from Wigy at SourceForge mail list:

" I got new motherboard & stuff today, but one component burned immediately
on first boot. I"ll toss whole pile of crap to the hardware vendor
tomorrow and leave there until they cook up something that works.

In short: the server is down at least this week i suppose, maybe more.

It's gonna be awhile folks! So we'll all have to hang in there.

JD

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Back-up GCCG-METW server available

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:22 pm

Joshua Delahunty was able to start the back-up server just now. It won't be available for more than (roughly) two weeks, but probably Gandalf is repaired by then.

So: you can all come back to GCCG-METW to play and chat :D. You don't need to do anything special to get in. You'll just notice that the starting of the client takes a bit longer than you're used to; that's because it first attempts (in vain) to connect to Gandalf.

The back-up server runs an older version of the software with a different economy and does not have the up-to-date collection records from gandalf, nor will records from it be transfered to gandalf when that comes back up. That means: don't bother collecting for now, but come enjoy the play and chat. :)

Update: it seems that people not yet known to this server have to start the client twice in a row on their first try. The first time the client makes you known at the server but exits the connection. The second time (and all next times) it then works fine. [If you experience something like this, please let me know if I described it correctly.]

Bog Wraith

Post by Bog Wraith » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:36 am

Wim,

I can't log on.

When I try, I get the same message I got a few weeks ago when the system didn't find my password.

Here is what I get after trying repeatedly to log on:

"Incorrect Password.
Maybe someone has already registered player named JD

Server closed connection.

ABNORMAL EXIT!
"

It might be that the back up server has an old password registerd for me.
It's the only thing that seems logical to me.

Let me know what you think.

If I can start a new account for this temporary sever, please let me know how I bypass the info for JD so I can log on as a new user. Since we are not building or using our collection that is on Gandalf, it doesn't matter if I create a temporary new account. I can use this until we are back up & running with Gandalf!

Thanks

JD