GCCG troubles

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Thorsten the Traveller

GCCG troubles

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:38 pm

Hi all, well I finally decided to have a go at the online adventuring in Middle Earth, but I can't seem to get this cggc program working. I install it and load it, all goes well, there's the main screen [or so I suppose, it's mainly empty] asking me to type the new username.....but where can I type in anything? I can't type anything in the main or little side-window.

any ideas as to what the problem might be? [or problem be me?  :) ]
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:45 pm

Aha ... the problem everybody has...

I assume you are trying to play in 1024 x ... which means you'll only see the input line if you do away with your windows command line.

Put your resolution to 1152 x ... and you should see it

Sly Southerner

Re: GCCG troubles

Post by Sly Southerner » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:43 am

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: I can't seem to get this cggc program working.
I would try gccg instead, it works much better. :wink: :D :wink:

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:37 pm

You could just type. You would in fact be typing on a type line just below your visible screen area. It is indeed a common problem for windows users, as the table in GCCG is 1024x768 pixels and many people have a screen that size on which part is used by the windows task bar and all that.

As it is a common problem, it is well documented in GCCG's FAQ. Kris' suggestion is one way out, if your screen can handle it. Zooming GCCG or using it full screen are the others. The FAQ will tell you how.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:06 pm

Well I had already viewed the FAQ and tried to adjust my screen, or, as in the FAQ is mentioned to change this directory, but still it didn't work. I'll try again though, since now I'm on another compu, thanks.

cggc or gccg is all the same if it doesn't work, right? :wink:

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:43 pm

For some reason, I found that minimising the window and then maximising it fixed this problem. I also have to set my taskbar to auto-hide and shift the window as far to the top of the screen as I can.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:38 am

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:or, as in the FAQ is mentioned to change this directory
:? No clue what you are trying here or why.
cggc or gccg is all the same if it doesn't work, right? :wink:
Dunno; I suppose if you can't even get the name right, the developer might feel less surprised or shocked that you can't get his creation to work either. ;)
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Mat

Post by Mat » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:36 am

He surely wanted to say "change this file", speaking of the metw.bat.

You have to let a space between the original text and your adding --full, this is the only error I could imagine , so change

ccg_client.exe --user %USER% %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 metw.xml

to

ccg_client.exe --full --user %USER% %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9 metw.xml

Don`t forget, the space before and after your added --full and dont forget to save your changes :wink: .

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:48 pm

Yes, that's what I ment, and it has worked this time :D .
But then there was a slight downer, can anyone tell me, on average, how long does it take you to complete a playset on gccg, how many games or sealed do you have to play to get some money? I don't suppose people exchange the cards freely? :wink:
hmmm, perhaps some people like the thrill of opening boosters and collecting cards, but I just like to play.... :cry:

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:11 pm

You don't need the cards to add them to decks and play with them.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:11 pm

There are two ways to just play. The first is sealed (very useful since usually it's compensated which means you always win a bunch of cards), the other is proxy play. To play proxy you simply need to include cards you don't have. When you see a red (-1) you know you're playing proxy. Proxy cards behave just like normal cards, but if you use them you won't get a promo at the end of the game.

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:10 pm

Ah, thanks, that’s a relief, I guess I had the Decipher-program in mind where people pay even good fortunes of real money for virtual cards. Evenso, for non-computer wizards like myself used to windows interface and such [and who use faq’s for problems, not for general info], this is not something you master in a few moments, I can say that. :wink:

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:04 pm

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:for non-computer wizards like myself used to windows interface and such
Top of the hints / get used to's for Win users:
- Right click a lot. On windows this often gives "nice extra ways of doing things". On GCCG it is the primary way to get around with a mouse.
- Use of mouse and keyboard is interlinked: short-cuts work on the card or window you are currently pointing your mouse at.
- Do try actually typing commands; even if it is just "/help". Once you start with it, you'll find yourself doing it more and more - windows really under-values the nicety of simply typing what you want a program to do.
- GCCG actually uses mid-click. Alt-left-click works too, if you don't have a mid-click set up on your mouse.

Mat

Post by Mat » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:04 am

Hey, this hint for the middle click is great. Alejandro suffered for not having a 3 button mouse, and we received the hint to bind a key to it, but you know what happens, when two "PC Experts" are trying to code.... 8) .

Beornd

Post by Beornd » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:39 pm

hi!

anywhere a problem with the connection - my connection suddenly fails.
bb