Multiplayer

Anything MeCCG that does not have a forum... yet

Moderator: Moderators

Grimir

Multiplayer

Post by Grimir » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:10 am

How many players can play MECCG in the same time and is it interesting?

Sauron_the_Great
Location: Alfter, Germany (normally Barad-Dur, Mordor but I'm on holidays at the moment)

Post by Sauron_the_Great » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:17 am

Hi!

One of the most thrilling tournament formats i've ever played is a pair-tournament. 2 players form a team and play against two other guys. This opens the game to a variety of often overlooked hazard and resource strategies.

I recently played a pair-tournament with my flat-mate during "lure of meccg '05" utilizing a agent-capture-opposing-characters-strategy with dunedan, elven and darven agents, helped by chill them with fear, to get you away and inner cunning/nobodys friend to beam them around (worked quite fine>-))

Our resources based on dwarven rings (we'll have to change that next time) and factions played out of rivendell with the help of "webs of fear and treachery/hour of need/tidings of death", so factions like southrons, easterlings, iron-hill-dwarves are easily playable with galadriel...

Yours, Markus

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:58 pm

There isn't really a hard limit to the number of players. The basic model is that you play stuff on your opponent (the player to your left) and that he plays stuff on you (the player to your right). You can make that circle quite big, but you are in essence introducing periods of inactivity for each player as the number of quite active players remains two. This also slows the game down proportionally.

This means that for most fun I generally recommend breaking your group into pairs of two, and if needed one remaining group of three. On an average afternoon or evening this gets everyone two games, between which you can switch opponents.

There are enhancements available to increase the fun of multi-player. The simpler ones involve switching hazard players during the game or passing on the hazard limit. The duo-quad or pair system Markus speaks of is probably the most detailed and well proven. It does require the pairs to prepare as a team though and obviously only works if you have (multiples of) four players available.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:09 am

We had a small multiplayer tournament lately. We played three rounds, three players by the table. We were switching hazard players during the game and passing on the hazard limit. There was a lot of fun, and no one was bored. Three players multiplayer works.

jerrek

Post by jerrek » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:13 am

If you passed on the hazard limit (and by this i presume you mean that the other player gets to finsih hazards up to the hjazard limit) would this not mean that players would
1. go through the deck quicker
2. everybody get hazarded to death although this may be nulified by 1. ensuring everybody ended up with lots of resoruces.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:11 pm

ad.1.
Only one hazard opponent draws cards, but indeed,it's a little quicker
ad.2.
There were a lot of dead bodies (especially wizards), don't forget that for multiplayer there is a higher creatures minimum for deck construction (at list half)

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:45 pm

I've found playing 3 player multi-player is actually quite fun. This gives the person who's not playing resources/hazards to plan his next turn so things still run fairly smooth. You also get to run into some great hazards, since Long and Perm events effect every player. Just my 2 cents...

Leon

Post by Leon » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:08 pm

Where exactly can I find the rules for a 3 player game? I will put down the rules that I remember, correct or complete me please:

I talk here about resource player, hazard opponent and 3rd player.

Each turn a player has a hazard opponent, who draws hazards for his movement phases and starts playing hazards.

The opportunity to play hazards can be passed on to the 3rd player with a -1 to hazard limit.

Only the resource and hazard player may discard a card during the end of turn phase.

If the resource player returns to handsize all players do so.

After each player has had a turn, the hazard opponent is switched, so first the player on your right is your hazard opponent and later the player on your left.

I think this is all, though I would consider to not allow people to play cards on guard. This to encourage them a bit more to pass on the hazards.

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 pm

The way I've always done it is just like a regular game, except the third player has a turn in there.  As Wim mentioned above, you would play hazards on the player to your right or left (you choose a direction and it stays that way all game), so on a person's turn, 2 people will be involved and the 3rd can plan his turn.  I've not played with the passing hazard limit to the other player for a -1 penalty, but that could certainly make things more interesting.

Vastor Peredhil

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Well, we play as Wim has discribed and it works very well for up to 5 people, after that it the games starts to creep at a very slow speed.

it helps to know your deck well, as you have to adjust to more than one hazards strategies.

Moving with a big companies to the wrong sites can be really devastating in this format, but it is great fun.

As i said, for my playground 3 round play is more standart than head to head, as we most have 3 players to turn up each session.

mfg nicolai

Leon

Post by Leon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:19 am

I played with the rules I outlined before once or twice and it worked pretty good. At least you will not have the frustration that your hazard deck would only really hurt the opponent you are not playing hazards on.

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:39 am

ageeing with Vastor, multiplayer is a whole different game dynamic, and I might add, it's more fun in certain ways, requiring specific deck design and specific way of playing. I personally prefer it to one on one games.
Though it might seem a bit strange you are actually more involved with one another, in two player games chances are that you are in one part of ME, and your opponent is in another, doing your things separately. In multiplayer there is usually someone around to interact with (or to harrass  :wink: ).

Anyway, I think there is no real agreed upon set of rules, but I would advise:
-passing hazards option is a must, for keeping things more lively. Makes it more dangerous? certainly, so prepare!
-only the hazard/resource players are allowed to draw up to handsize, but all players can diss and draw in end of turn. That speeds up things a bit. I would say that cards that allow you to recycle in opponents end of turn phase (Thrice Outnumbered etc.) also apply to all end of turn phases.
-if you play clockwise, always the player to the left (counterclock) should play hazards. Otherwise you get to play hazards and then resources, and that would be an advantage to the player(s) that start the game, imho. If you play 3 players, it is also fun/advisable to alternate hazard player. Other variants are possible of course, but this is easiest.
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo