Balrog Decks - fair price?

All trader / collector's issues regarding specific cards and other MeCCG products: is this one especially valuable? what's in this box?; is this a fair trade?

Moderators: Jambo, Moderators

B_Cram

Balrog Decks - fair price?

Post by B_Cram » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey all,

Another guy, asking about fair trade/prices.  I have the two Balrog decks - both opened, but never played.  Have a gentleman interested, but he's offered $90 for both decks.  I don't know exactly what they're going for at the moment - but seem to remember them going for roughly $60 each last time I looked.  Anyone know what's a fair price for these nowadays?

Any feedback much appreciated.  Thanks!

-bob

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:49 pm

Factory sealed balrog decks have certainly been going for such $60 rates and even higher recently. I think factory sealed means a lot though, or at least I can say it would for me. Unless I'd be able to verify condition and completeness in person before buying, I'd offer a lot less for opened than for unopened.

On the other end of the spectrum note that they once where 'just' 18.95 per deck. Far from everyone is willing to pay top eBay prices, so there is the trade off between having that offer here and now or most likely having to invest more time if you want more.

So, in all that sounds like a nice offer to me, fair to both parties.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

B_Cram

Post by B_Cram » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:03 pm

Gwaihir - thanks for the feedback.  I was leaning in that direction, but just wanted to not feel like an idiot if I saw them on ebay in a couple of weeks for twice that.

dulcaoin

Post by dulcaoin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:40 am

The "going" price lately in the U.S. has been $137.50 PER deck.  This started with an auction by J.T. Kaufmann simply offering up a pair that he picked up for $10 a piece at a recent GENCON (he's a personal friend of mine, that's why I know the details).  He'd made a deal with me that he'd offer to sell a 2nd copy of one of decks to me for the price he was bid.  When they hit $137.50, I begged off; and he had NO trouble getting that again for the box.

Those were sealed.

Several more sets (I believe at least two more "full" sets of two) then went for the same price in the weeks that followed.

I lucked into a pair of both of them, plus a set of some-opened, some-sealed Challenge Decks (all loose), for a total of $158.50.  Let me say that I was ecstatic to pay so "little" for Balrog decks, and I would (personally) pay $50 or even $60 a deck, sealed or not, and I think others would too, considering the "going" price seems to be nearly twice that now.  :-(

Edit: I think I gave the gist, but the Balrog decks I got were sealed, it was only the challenge decks that were partially opened.

HTH,

-- joshua
Last edited by dulcaoin on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:54 am

If they are complete you can get 60$ for each. I would pay that much.

B_Cram

Post by B_Cram » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:22 pm

Hi folks.  Just wanted to give an update - to toss onto the pile of exchange rates and whatnot.  I did receive a few offers for between $60 and $75 each for the decks - but these all came after I'd agreed with the first gentleman on a price of $50 each.  I felt I should honor that agreement and so that's what they went for.  Certainly I don't feel that it was a bad deal or anything, as I paid the retail price for them when they came out.  I do think they may have gone for slightly under current "market value."

Just my two bits.  And thanks everyone who responded - all your replies were very helpfull!

-bob

Nariam

Post by Nariam » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:47 pm

Just adding something to the "current market value", I was just outbid on ebay for a Balrog's Host. I didn't want to go much higher than 80 Euro, and the final price was 93 Euro, which is about $125. but that was sealed.

Also, I thought the Shadow deeps deck was worth more, mainly because of Longbottom Leaf, Skin-Changers, Unabated in Malice... . Is that wrong? Then again, Balrog's host has Sauron, Strider...

Earendil

Post by Earendil » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:52 pm

If you manage to get some other Balrog decks, I suggest you to put them for sale on eBay... You'll easily get more than 100$ each. They're almost the most wanted meccg product now.
"...And he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right :D"

dulcaoin

Post by dulcaoin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:00 pm

Furthermore, I'd doubt that sealed matters that much.  They're simply that sought after...

Also, Bob, I admire your integrity.  I specifically stayed away from making an offer on them because I figured you'd go that way.  It's encouraging to see people will still stick to agreements in the face of temptation to do otherwise.

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:49 pm

While we're at it, I know it's a bit of a daydream, but I still hope to get my hands on a Balrog deck too without having to go to ebay. Those cards seem really hard to come by for someone who had stopped buying cards at the time – I don't think they were even distributed where I live.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:29 pm

And what is this mysterious place you live?

dulcaoin

Post by dulcaoin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:30 pm

Hmmm.  I guess there are exceptions to every rule...

Mod edit: no thanks

Lucky, lucky find.

Edit:
--------
Since ebay auctions go away rather quickly, the summary here is that someone picked up:    

* Box 1 of 2 The Shadow Deeps (sealed)
   * Box 1 of 2 The Shadow Deeps (opened but complete)
   * Box 2 of 2 Balrog's Host (sealed)

with a Buy It Now price of US$30.

An amazing price by any standard.
--------
Last edited by dulcaoin on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:14 am

Nothing mysterious, I live in Belgium. I'll add that to my profile.

I check ebay regularly, but I'm not sure I do it the right way, because I seldom see those cards for sale. There is one auction at the moment, but I didn't even see the one you link when it was on (of course, if it was ended immediately due to a Buy it now, I may not have had the time  :P).
Anyway, I'll keep looking!

Nariam

Post by Nariam » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:51 pm

^pretty much the same problem here in switzerland. so if anyone has a spare box  (:lol:), I'd be very interested as well.

Earendil

Post by Earendil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:44 pm

dulcaoin wrote:Hmmm.  I guess there are exceptions to every rule...

Mod edit: no thanks

Lucky, lucky find.
Damn, this is my dream... A "buy it now" from someone who simply does not know the right price! And of course me arriving first  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"...And he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right :D"