Spells. Always Wizard only?

Ever thought up cards of your own, or written a cool scenario? This is the place to share your ideas.

Moderators: Jambo, Tegarend, Moderators

Moria tour guide

Spells. Always Wizard only?

Post by Moria tour guide » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:38 pm

This is a question of the potential for expanding the use of spells.
There are several spell cards. All are hero cards and only for Wizards.

To me, it is redundant to include the "Wizard only", unless ICE intended
to someday have spells for other races. I not saying the current spells should be expanded for use by other characters.

Can you give your opinion if it is possible; game mechanically and thematically to have spells (much weaker than wizard spells) for other
races?

thanks.

Konrad Klar

Post by Konrad Klar » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:56 pm

I don't know any non-Wizard only Spell however Spell and Wizard only keywords in text of the same card is not redundancy in my opinion. Some effects makes reference to the keyword Spell and does not make reference to Wizard only.  So Wizard cannot use Spells if he is in company moving through region/at site affected by In The Heart of His Realm , but he can use Wizard's Ring (which is Wizard only). Wizard bearing Wizard's Staff can tap to search for Spells from discard pile, but not to search for other Wizard only cards. Wizard only keyword without Spell would not be sufficient for purposes interpretation (and development) of such cards/effects.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

|Highwayman|

Post by |Highwayman| » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:57 am

if you take a look at minion cards you'll find 3 different kinds of magic avaliable for minion and fallen-wizard players: Shadow-magic, Spirit Magic and Sorcery

Generaly in Tolken's world magic is very subtle unless used by evil characters or the situation is dire (spells cast by Gandalf when he fought with Balrog) so i think ICE did good job with spells and magic.

Also note that if we're talking about the good folk - only wizards (who were maia) could cast spells, other folk if they had some kind of 'magic' they wielded it in a very different way - like the elves had they're songs, Rohirrim their affinity to horses and dwarves affinity for precious metals and stones.
And the bad guys learned the more brutal and direct aspect of using magic from Morgoth and his disciples

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:54 am

You could make a dream card to let Glorfindel cast Kindling of the Spirit if you like ;)

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:22 am

Well, he used some kind of "True Fana" once.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:47 pm

Jaded wrote:Well, he used some kind of "True Fana" once.
:oops: I was thinking you were referring to him looking so much like Arwen in the movie. ;)

On deeper thought, I think you are referring to that scene at the ford, but to the book after all. If so, that was not a true fana spell or something like that, but a description of what he looked like in the shadow realm, that view on reality where the ringwraiths are visible and where one moves over to when putting on the One Ring. It is a description from Frodo's viewpoint who is quite far gone towards the shadow realm himself at that point in time because of the prolonged effects from knife blade stuck in his body combined with the will of the ring itself and the close proximity of the ringwraiths.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Gwaihir wrote: :oops: I was thinking you were referring to him looking so much like Arwen in the movie. ;)
:)
On deeper thought, I think you are referring to that scene at the ford, but to the book after all. If so, that was not a true fana spell or something like that, but a description of what he looked like in the shadow realm, that view on reality where the ringwraiths are visible and where one moves over to when putting on the One Ring.
Not sure:
Tolkien wrote: 'I thought that I saw a white figure that shone and did not grow dim like the others. Was that Glorfindel then?'
    'Yes, you saw him for a moment as he is upon the other side: one of the mighty of the Firstborn
But this is not the rulebook, we do not need an official interpretation here :)

thorondor

Post by thorondor » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:45 pm

what else but tolkien´s own words is the real rulesbook, eh?!?! hmpf ...

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:20 pm

Jaded wrote:Not sure:
Tolkien - empahis by Gwaihir wrote:Yes, you saw him for a moment as he is upon the other side: one of the mighty of the Firstborn
Indeed, that passage. It is my understanding that that other side is the shadow realm. Perhaps I'll find time to actually look into it later - the History of Middle-earth is gathering too much dust on my shelves as is anyway - but for today I am all researched out. :pippin:
But this is not the rulebook, we do not need an official interpretation here :)
Hmm.. I guess that merely means I ought to split this off to 'nother subboard - dream cards or just talk, I wonder? Anyway; needn't stop us from discussing it ;).
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Moria tour guide

Post by Moria tour guide » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:25 pm

Yes, my questions was 'just talk', but more exactly to
be 'lets talk, and see if there is potential for more expansion in MECCG'.
The given comments were good for me to see that such an expansion is not in order.

I shall improve my placement of threads in the future.

Thanks.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:13 am

Moria tour guide wrote:I shall improve my placement of threads in the future.
[mod note]Oh, don't worry. I was mainly saying that about the chat Jaded, Wolfgang and I engaged in after the 'serious' part was covered. But I suppose you're right in that it was indeed mainly about making some theme-wise correct dream card(s) from the start, so I now indeed moved it accordingly.[/mod]

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:51 am

Gwaihir wrote: Indeed, that passage. It is my understanding that  other side is the shadow realm.
I know why I understand it other way. In polish translation other side is "inny brzeg" - other shore, it suggests Aman.