Virtual Card Discussion

Ever thought up cards of your own, or written a cool scenario? This is the place to share your ideas.

Moderators: Jambo, Tegarend, Moderators

Vastor Peredhil

Virtual Card Discussion

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:27 am

Mod Note: I split off the discussion from the NA Champs thread to here per the request of some posters.  The texts of all cards in question can be viewed at www.meccg.net/nachamps06 under the virtual cards tab.

I was always wondering if we could not promote the virtual area to finsh out all of the expansions out there, maybe have a dozen or so people agree on a set and then let it be really platested on GCCG. I have quite an interest in this side-event, because if it is accepted as a way around creating real cards it might be the future for dream cards. although the toughest job is to find artwork for dream cards, that keeps the high standart of the game.

mfg Nicolai

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:32 am

Agreed. It might give us something to talk about other than the rules. :)
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

Vastor Peredhil

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:50 am

I just read through the file set and it is quite useful and awesome in the way for new deck strategies, but if you all were more into dream cards you would realize the effects off most cards on one or the other dream card out there. Also some catrds are to powerful First of the Order I would say, but some are the way I always wanted them to be (Sacrifice of Form). S as an expert on dream cards ( I guess no one proberbly created more than I did, but I do not challange anyone here) I give you props, nice work guys

mfg Nico

Vastor Peredhil

Post by Vastor Peredhil » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:55 am

Sorry, but maybe we ought to create another threat named virtual card file USA 06 or something to discuss the cards. So are you open to the contructive criticism or are all the cards final. and why only 39 (the answer to all questions is 42) or 40 would be a third of a real expansion or 80 as I am doing for most of my expansion (and I always end up with 120 cards or more)

mfg Nicolai

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:57 am

Wow.  Nice idea Mark and co and love the virtual cards!  What a cool event and what a cool selection of cards.  Never knew such a thing was even going on... :D

I remember seeing a site for another CCG (Star Wars? and was it kris who pointed me to it?) in which the players had also created several virtual card sets to be used in exactly the same manner.

Like someone else said above you might want to split the thread from that message onwards (making a copy rather than splitting it completely) and post it as a separate thread for maximum notice and feedback?
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Ok, had a little look over these and here's some early feedback:

- Absolutely love The Nazgul are Abroad and Half an Eye Open.  Cool way to boost both hazard strategies.  Tap to bring a whole heap of dragon or nazgul hazards from sb to discard pile, then voila, use one of these cards to get some use out of them without clogging the hand. Bit vulnerable to VoM or MT.

- Waiting Shadow! Awesome!

- Unless storable, a lot of the cool theme cards are extremely susceptible to Stormcrow should a wizard be part of the company.

- The magic duel cards and Sacrifice of Form are really interesting ways to revitalise some avatar dueling and balance a little against squatting Balrog and LE/Sauron.  The only downside I can see is maybe the increased strength this would give to a fell Akhorahil deck against a wizard.  Maybe the duel would have to replace CvCC or influencing?

- Regarding the faction battling cards, which factions get dispersed? The losers of the battle that don't fail their bcs, or the winners if they fail to kill the losers?  If a stack does battle with a stack do individual factions pair off to battle much in the same way as CvCC is conducted?  Or do they battle as one combined force with the result of winning and losing being applied to all factions involved?

- Love the changes to Bard and Legolas! Out of interest, why was the mind of Legolas increased to 7?  To prevent him being used by a FW?

- Presumably the Black Horse is still a Warrior Ally?  Nice counter to Noble Steed!

- Usriev of Treachery.  Can it still be stored? Also, what happens if this is transferred to a hero company?

- Black Numenoreans. Revealed and discarded from hand?
Visit the Optional Rules forum and try out the community accepted Unofficial Errata.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:48 pm

Thanks for feedback all!

(1) Brian was involved in a couple ways: he advised us on which cards were over- or under-powered and he used his magical webmaster skillz to make them available.

(2) Bring the criticism, of course!  I think I want to say that the cards will not change before NA Champs, just so that people can make their decks without worrying what will happen after they finish, but we want to make this set better!  Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.

(3) Nicholai: we all bow before you dream-card making prowess.  We plebs are merely trying our own hands at your mastered art.

(4) Specific answers to Jamie's questions:
  (a) We'll have to take another look at Stormcrow... it's an underplayed hazard anyway, so maybe this is an indirect method to boost it?...
  (b) Nerfing the duel already?!  But I thought you liked high-interaction decks....  Wouldn't it be great to send your opponent's RW to the abyss and then beat the snot out of his little minions with another company?...
  (c) Maybe the faction battling cards are not clearly worded....  The idea is that if you "wound" your opponent's factions, they are dispersed.  If you "wound"' and defeat the body, they are killed (and you get kill MPs).  :twisted:
  (d) Nope, not a warrior anymore -- just an ally.  It may not be a horse of a different color, but....
  (e) Storing, hm.  I don't see why not....  If the Usriev is transfered to a hero, he will beat the snot out of his company (or die trying) :D
  (f) Black Numenoreans: yes, from hand.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:50 pm

It looks like I may have lost a post while attempting to split this thread.

I believe Nicholai asked "Why 39 cards?"  The answer, such as it is, is that chose to publish only the cards we thought were very interesting.  That happened to be 39....  Not a great reason, but I think it works better than trying to come up with one more and failing :D

Kees

Post by Kees » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:19 pm

I especially like the new Plotting Ruin. I always wanted to make a Fallen-Wizard burn deck. I'd like to see Gandalf going postal.  :lol:

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:22 pm

Zarathustra wrote:(4) Specific answers to Jamie's questions:
  (a) We'll have to take another look at Stormcrow... it's an underplayed hazard anyway, so maybe this is an indirect method to boost it?...
  (b) Nerfing the duel already?!  But I thought you liked high-interaction decks....  Wouldn't it be great to send your opponent's RW to the abyss and then beat the snot out of his little minions with another company?...
  (c) Maybe the faction battling cards are not clearly worded....  The idea is that if you "wound" your opponent's factions, they are dispersed.  If you "wound"' and defeat the body, they are killed (and you get kill MPs).  :twisted:
  (d) Nope, not a warrior anymore -- just an ally.  It may not be a horse of a different color, but....
  (e) Storing, hm.  I don't see why not....  If the Usriev is transfered to a hero, he will beat the snot out of his company (or die trying) :D
  (f) Black Numenoreans: yes, from hand.

b) Heh, no I don't want to nerf the dueling!  I really like the concept of the duels.  But, am I right that a wizard can only duel a FW, whereas a FW can duel another FW or wiz, and a RW can duel another wiz, FW or Balrog?  Maybe it would be good if a wiz could initiate a duel against a RW too?  Also, there's no tapping in the site phase to perform this, so there's not much defence to it other than having loads of spells in deck or sb and praying for a good roll. :D

c) Ah ha. So a stack of several high MP factions (e.g. Southrons and Variags together would be +18 ) could obliterate opponents stack or individual factions and then pretty much prevent the opponent from keeping any more in play, other than on the final turn of course.  Maybe there being no discard would prevent total domination here?

e) Being a minion item, wouldn't heroes ignore the text on Usriev, much in the same way minions do with Aiglos and Dragon-helm?  Maybe Usriev should be usable by both hero and minion like Deadly Dart?

:)

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:26 pm

Minor typo.  Dwar states playable as a creature or long-event in the text when it should be creature or permanent-event.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:12 pm

(b) Hm, I think that might be a typo.  As I recall, you ought to be able to initiate a magic duel with anyone....

(c) Yes, unless they rolled low of course (a big concern, since you'd lose 9 MP of factions).  Or if your opponent played Army of the Dead....  Or if he kept his factions in different regions and ran you in circles.... ;)

(e) But Usriev contradicts that rule directly in the card text :D  ((I don't think it makes much sense to let heroes do this... it seems more sneaky and minion-like))

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:25 pm

I reviewed the magic duel cards again.  I think the only problem is that heroes cannot hurt rws.  They can hit FWs with Vanishment and they can hit the hog and LE/Sauron with Sac of Form, but they have nothing vs. RWs.  Right now, I can't recall if we did that on purpose or not.... :(  I'll have to ask
Joe.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:43 pm

Zarathustra wrote:I reviewed the magic duel cards again.  I think the only problem is that heroes cannot hurt rws.  They can hit FWs with Vanishment and they can hit the hog and LE/Sauron with Sac of Form, but they have nothing vs. RWs.  Right now, I can't recall if we did that on purpose or not.... :(  I'll have to ask
Joe.
After all, in the books didn't Gandalf bear all and enter Dol Guldur to speak to Thrain and then ward off the Witch-king from the broken gates of Minas Tirith!

I'd love to come to your Nats just for this event. :D

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:10 pm

You can come to Worlds 2007 for it ;)