Nope, not me
5%
What's this 'GCCG' anyway?
No votes

Total votes: 19

Wacho

GCCG league/tourney

Post by Wacho » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Anyone interested in a GCCG league/tourney?  What I mean by this is a tournament, but run over several weeks, not just on one or two days.  You'd get a new opponent each week or so and would have to arrange a time to play.  The finals could all be run on one day I suppose.

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:03 pm

Hmm.. I kind of like the excitement of everyone present at the same time..
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:07 am

I'm kinda interested.

Gwaihir : It's not obvious for everybody to stay online / plan for a 4-round tourney (oh, and it isn't good for the eyes, either :D)

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:46 am

Tegarend wrote:Gwaihir : It's not obvious for everybody to stay online / plan for a 4-round tourney (oh, and it isn't good for the eyes, either :D)
That's the other extreme.. it was spread out over a weekend (two days) last time, no? Indeed, such makes it less convenient timing for some than no "set" time. But then again, what "tournament buzz" is left when it's just another set of games spread out over many weeks? Anyway; just my two cents.
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:51 am

Well, L5R (the other CCG I frequently play online) has a monthly 4-round tournament, where each round lasts a week. And that works fine. Of course, we have to do it that way for L5R because we haven't got a nice chat zone as GCCG :)

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:22 pm

Sounds interesting to me indeed :)
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

Beornd

Post by Beornd » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:16 pm

ok - its really interesting but how does it works in practise.

offical tournament rules or own gccg rules (playtime, decklist, judge etc....)

if everybody takes it easy, i´m sure there is no problem - but every tournament has its own rules :wink:
bb

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Beornd wrote:offical tournament rules or own gccg rules (playtime, decklist, judge etc....)
GCCG has always defaulted to the standard CoE endorsed rules set, so I suppose this event will as well.

It would be good to make clear up front whether or not players are allowed to divert by mutual agreement. I suppose there's no harm in allowing such, so you could for example use UEPs if both you and your opponent would like that.

That indeed does raise the question of decklists, or rather, of having to play the same deck the whole tournament or not. I don't suppose you can play well by a different rules set than the one your deck was made for, so if it's one deck for the whole event (as tournaments usually are) than there's likely little room for digression rules wise.

As for the decklists themselves: GCCG has built in support for registering decks as well as legality checking, so there's no need for anyone to review the lists manually.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:09 pm

The rules would be standard COE rules plus Balrog 2mind rule.  Any disagreements could be taken to a judge.  Decklists as normal would be registered before the tournament.  I suppose there would need to be something to ensure people weren't switching decks.  I've got some other procedure/organization ideas that I'll post about if this tourney gets going.

So far I haven't seen a lot of enthusiasm for this idea, so it's probably not going to happen anytime soon.  If anyone is interested please say so on this thread.  I'd really like to get at least 16 people.  But it simply isn't worth putting in the effort for just the 4 or 5 people who have expressed interest so far.

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:43 pm

I'd be up for it only if we use standard CoE rules.

Beornd

Post by Beornd » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:30 pm

ok - i´m in.

but i think, there must be own gccg rules.
not about the game itself, only for the tournament.

for example - i must choose my alligment - after that i can play with every deck i want - so the oppenent can not  prepare himself by watching other games.

also the time for a game - my oppinion no timelimit  - because the work with the keyboard and the program needs time. we are not looking for the best  
ego-shooter
:D
bb

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Post by Gwaihir » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Wacho wrote:I suppose there would need to be something to ensure people weren't switching decks.
GCCG has built in functions for this, although I am not sure how well they respond to the fact that MeCCG uses two different decks per tourney (one vs heroes, one vs minions). I suppose you could ask wigy directly (by mail); he's been seen around again lately.
Wacho, emphasis mine wrote:So far I haven't seen a lot of enthusiasm for this idea, so it's probably not going to happen anytime soon.  If anyone is interested please say so on this thread.  I'd really like to get at least 16 people.  But it simply isn't worth putting in the effort for just the 4 or 5 people who have expressed interest so far.
I think folk were waiting for the actual announcement. I've heard a reasonable number of people express interest. 16 is a high goal though. IMHO anything 8+ would be good for a first event in this style; one has to start somewhere.

I've just made it into a poll. Seems both simpler to use and easier to read the results to me than trying to get a long list of ayes and maybes down here. I hope I summarized the suggested format well. If not, Wacho, please update it asap.

Beornd wrote:for example - i must choose my alligment - after that i can play with every deck i want - so the oppenent can not  prepare himself by watching other games.
Hmm.. I fear that gives one more chance to prepare. It would mean that those with a lot of time (or decks) on their hands could meta vs those that don't.

You do have a point though that the scouting problem is bigger in a streched out event like this than it is in a normal event. Would it work to simply not allow scouting? In a normal event that doesn't seem to be too respected, but then again, there's little time to scout there.
also the time for a game - my oppinion no timelimit  - because the work with the keyboard and the program needs time.
Good point. The previous event did have a time limit. It's structure obviously had more need for it as well. I suppose this format would indeed work better without one.

BTW: I think it mostly needs learning time. Once you get used to it, it's not much slower than real life play. (Some things are faster, some are slower.)
Last edited by Gwaihir on Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:24 pm

I'm interested, I'll let the people from our forum know.

Wacho

Post by Wacho » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:10 am

Wim, thanks for the poll.  That was a good idea, I should have thought of it.

I also agree that there doesn't need to be any time limit.  At least not for the preliminary rounds.  I was thinking of running the finals all on one day.  Perhaps those would need some sort of time limit.

As far as decks go I think the same deck needs to be kept for the whole time.  I don't know if there is anyway to make the tables private, but you can always tell people you're playing a tourney game and don't want observers.  I don't think scouting will be a huge problem.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Gwaihir: I've taken a look at the GCCG code. There is support for registering a default deck and an alternative deck. The command /rd2 works like /rd but instead of registering the default deck it registers the alternative deck.

I haven't done any checks if this actually works as one would expect for tournaments. The little pieces of code I've found do suggest that the alternative deck can be used where the default deck can.

Note that there is no /ro2 command for restoring the alternative deck.