Fallen Wizards for Newbys

A place for newbies (and oldies who are coming back to the game) to get up to speed quickly

Moderator: Moderators

ActualNewby

Fallen Wizards for Newbys

Post by ActualNewby » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi - I have mastered the basics of hero play, and I am getting more and more familiar with minion play. So guess what is next for this eager Newby? Fallen Wizards. Can someone point me to another thread/post with good introductory information?

I want to know: why I should use a FW? what makes playing with a FW fun (this is the most important question - I really want to know how to have with a FW)? What am I really trying to do when I play with a FW?

My understanding is that I can play with pretty much every card ever when I play FW... That is kind of overwhelming.

I see some great decklists in the decklists section, and these decklists have got me very excited about trying out my FW cards, but I think I need more of an idea on how to play these decks, so that I know why cards are included, not included, and how to play them. Ok, that's a lot, I know, but thanks in advance for any help (particularly if this info already exists somewhere and you can point me in the right direction).
Olley Olley Oxen Free

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:54 pm

I tend to view Fallen Wizards in general as more of an advanced concept than a beginner concept for precisely the reasons you mentioned.

Once you have a good grasp of both Hero and Minion resource strategies, the fun of playing Fallen Wizard comes in two parts:

1) Combining hero and minion resource strategies for unexpected results.  Some of the most notable are using Deeper Shadow to create an Under-deeps Shadow-Hold for easy play of Aiglos; using We Have Come to Kill and Chance Meeting in the same deck to broaden character play; loading four of a certain type of card (cancelers, boosters, etc) instead of the normal three, and so forth

2) Working within the restrictions of the FW rules makes for variety and creativity, at least initially.  Instead of relying on some big guys (Aragorn, Glorfindel, etc.), the FW player must make use of smaller guys and often nonstandard havens.  They must also take a serious look at which cards they aim for because of their MP restrictions.

For learning to play Fallen Wizards, I would recommend starting with Fallen Gandalf, since his play for the most part mirrors hero play and is a comfortable segueway into the concept.

ActualNewby

Post by ActualNewby » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Wow, good answer. I think you really understand where I am coming from - which is surprising, because my original post was not that articulate.

I agree with your overall message. It is probably too early for me to realistically play a fallen wizard deck, because I will not understand what I am doing - thus leading to frustration, not fun.

At the same time, it is tough to resist, because:
a. I have loads of white hand
b. The fallen wizard avatar cards look freaking amazing (not just the art, but the templates too).
c. The stage cards are fascinating. Seems like a really neat mechanic.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I'll take another crack at FWs in a couple of months once the minion stuff is a little more second-nature.
Olley Olley Oxen Free