General Rule Questions from a guy coming back to the game

A place for newbies (and oldies who are coming back to the game) to get up to speed quickly

Moderator: Moderators

DonAldo

General Rule Questions from a guy coming back to the game

Post by DonAldo » Mon May 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Heya, as promised, here are a few questions that deal with rules.
I am a big player of RPGs (Shadowrun, DSA), Boardgames (Arkham Horror, Descent, and many more) and thus have seen my fair share of complicated rules (which ME doesn't have) and badly/confusingly written rules (which ME has :P). Well, even with my experience at reading rules like this (whoEVER came up with the sequence of how they explain stuff in that little book? ARGH!) and with all those clarifications and explanations, there are a few things that I couldn't deduce from it or from any of the writings I found only.

Ok, the first one that bothers me, are hazard creatures keyed to both Regions and Sites? Example, if I have a creature that has  :D: and :d: on the card. Does it need both? Common sense tells me "of course not", but I want to be 100% sure.

... aaaaand I forgot the rest of my rule-questions. Crap. Now if I could find the note pad that I scribbled on during our games... argh. I'll get back to you! :P

Sauron_the_Great
Location: Alfter, Germany (normally Barad-Dur, Mordor but I'm on holidays at the moment)

Post by Sauron_the_Great » Mon May 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Hey!

As a rule of thumb: If the keyability of a creature shows multiple region symbols of the SAME type, the company's site path must contain at least as many region symbol  (the most common example: the cave-drake. It has a Ruins&Lairs and two Wilderness symbols on its card. That means: If the company moves through at least two Wildernesses or is at or moves to a Ruins&Lairs, the cave-drake can be played, otherwise not)

If the keyability shows different symbols, just ONE must be met. Example: Ghosts (Region symbols on the card: Shadow-Hold, Dark-Hold, Shadow-Land, Dark-Land). That means, that the target's company site path must contain at least ONE Shadow-Land OR ONE Dark-Land or you must move to a Shadow-Hold/Darkhold or be at a Shadow-Hold/Darkhold.

I hope that makes things a little bit clearer...

DonAldo

Post by DonAldo » Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew about the two-wilderness = "deep wilderness" (and thus the creature needs a site-path that contains at least two :w: in any combination with others, but the rule writing was a bit unclear on the whole "and/or" part. So at one point we started wondering, where we could play those Orc Warriors with their :b: :w: and :R:.

- Could they be played at ANY of those three? I.e go with a site path of either :b: or :w:, or as long as the site had  :R:.
- Or would one need either :b: or :w: in the site path AND :R: as a site.

To us it was clear that the first one would make a lot more sense, but thanks for clearing that up! :)

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Tue May 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Most of hazards can be keyed to ANY of them, site or region. There are some exceptions, but they are written on the card (Rain drake for example can be keyed to  :R: that has two :w: in the sitecards sitepath).
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

Leon

Post by Leon » Tue May 19, 2009 7:26 pm

You have to state however to what you key a creature: region symbol, site symbol, region by name or site by name. Some cancel cards work only for one or a few of these options. Elven cloak for example.

DonAldo

Post by DonAldo » Tue May 19, 2009 8:27 pm

Oh those things are totally clear. It was really just the whole "does it need both site AND region, or is it a pick, just like with different regions?" thing. :-)