A beginner's section for the forum

A place for anyone to submit idea's and improvement tips for the site - 'obligation free'. - If on the other hand you want to become more involved, you are encouraged to join the MeCCG.net development team.

Moderator: Moderators

Dior

A beginner's section for the forum

Post by Dior » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:01 am

Hi,

I humbly suggest that a Beginner's Section be considered for the forums. As a relative newcomer (bought my first Challenge decks almost a year ago, but have only played a couple games with live people) I have quite a few "beginner" questions I'd like to ask, but I don't want to flood the General Discussion section of the forum. Two other gaming forums I frequent have beginner sections that seem to work well:

The Last Alliance (LotR tabletop miniatures fansite)
http://thelastalliance.com/index.php?pi ... orum_id=21

Privateer Press (Warmachine tabletop miniatures company site)
http://forums.privateerpress.com/index.php?showforum=40

A handful of useful threads could be made sticky with full explanations, such as where to buy, what books came out and whether they're useful, finding the easy-to-understand rules, what expansions came out, how GCCG works and so on.

Thanks for your time.

Dior

Gwaihir
Founder, dev. lead

Re: A beginner's section for the forum

Post by Gwaihir » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:25 pm

Well, first of: do feel perfectly free to "flood" the relevant forums with such questions :D (for as much as the notes on top of each board and a search didn't answer them). There are indeed a good number such topics not yet covered. If such threads turn out to be of large general / beginner relevance we'll probably indeed sticky them, if less so they'll at least be there to find with the search for the next person wrestling with the same issue(s).

We like the whole place to be beginner friendly and therefore have so far chosen not to "getto" you into a corner.
Dior wrote:A handful of useful threads could be made sticky with full explanations, such as where to buy, what books came out and whether they're useful, finding the easy-to-understand rules, what expansions came out, how GCCG works and so on.
Hmm.. we're supposed to be making a site about all that. :D Meanwhile we are indeed encouraging folk to write tutorials on such matters, as well as stickying such threads as they are written. The GCCG one for example already is. Getting a graps of the rules is something I've been meaning to write on myself for a while now. The books? Well.. they are not very useful, and I guess that's why they're not discussed much. ;)

Mod note: edited the session-id from the 2nd link in the previous post.
Gwaihir.net - The Middle-earth CCG store
May the wind under your wings bear your where the sun sails and the moon walks -- J.R.R.T.