[minion; vs. hero/fw] AkhoraKILL

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Zarathustra

[minion; vs. hero/fw] AkhoraKILL

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:10 am

This is the Akhorahil Malady deck I played at Qualifiers at Worlds 2004 in Atlanta.  I would have won Dutch Nats 2004 with it as well, but they wouldn't let me play in finals ;).  I believe that in about 50 games it's lost 4.  So, when all is said and done, an excellent deck.  Also, lots of fun, and low on cheeze value.

Start:

At Dol Guldur:
Lieutenant of Dol Guldur with Strange Rations and Orders

At Minas Morgul:
Ugluk
Dorelas
Nain

Characters in Deck:

3 Akhorahil
1 Euog
1 Ulkaur
1 Orc-Tracker

1 Baduila
any agents from pool that can pilfer opponent's characters

Resources:

3 A Malady Without Healing
3 Deeper Shadow
3 Sojourn in Shadows
1 Tormented Earth
3 Akhorahil Unleashed

3 Fell Rider
2 Leg it Double Quick
1 Forced March

3 Dark Tryst
2 Voices of Malice
3 Weigh All Things to a Nicety

1 Orcs of Dol Guldur
1 Aiglos
1 Great Bats

Key Sideboard Cards:

1 Long Grievous Siege
1 Tribute Garnered
1 Blackbole
1 Blasting Fire
1 The Arkenstone
1 Scroll of Isildur
1 Voices of Malice
1 Morgul-Blade
2 Forced March
1 Well-Preserved
1 No Better Use

Play Tips:

Use a corruption hazard strategy.  Don't focus on the wizard: go for alone and stupid, lure of the senses, etc.  You want to load up their main characters and then malady the crap out of them.  Scorba, Itangast, Saruman, Ren, Balance.  You know the drill.

Squat with the lieutenant and put a 5-minder under him.  Grab the Orcs of DG, then head down to the deeps for Aiglos.  The other guys are mainly a diversion for rivers and other hazards, and a source of 6 cards per turn.  Have them ride the 'Mordor Merry-Go-Round': Barad-Dur (you can heal there too, in case of Elf-lords first turn), Cirith Gorgor, and Mt. Doom.  Grab the bats at mt doom or the Nurniag camp.

But this is really all about Akhorahil.  Have him pop up at whichever darkhaven is closer to your opponents, and just head straight for them.  You can bounce off other havens (since he has to use starter movement) with Leg it and Forced March.  Save your Deeper Shadows for the inevitable Rivers.  3 Forced Marches now > 2 Rivers, so unless they can get out Gandalf the White Rider or some other hl increaser and hit you with 3 rivers in one turn, you are invincible with 3 Deeper Shadows.  They may sound like a 'So what', since there's only three in the deck, but with the merry-go-round in full swing, 3 Unleashed, and always recycling the Deeper Shadows with Akhorahil's skillz, you'd be surprised how often you have at least 2.  When you arrive, walk through the auto attack untapped (usually a breeze) or just Sojourn through it.  Then have a blast.  Go for the easy kills first, unless you really need to end things quickly.  That is to say: don't waste time maladying untapped Bilbo when tapped, corrupt Thranduil is sitting right next to him.  A cc at -1 followed by bc at +1 is a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately, you can't malady wizards.  But there's fun alternatives to that: cvcc, cvcc with Morgul-Blade, and cvcc with No Better Use.  Feeding Fallen Alatar to Shelob would be the play of the year....

MP Breakdown:

Character: 10
Ally: 1-3
Item: 3-7
Faction: 1
Misc: 0-2
Kill: ??
Total: 14-22 + ??

As with other high-interaction decks, this one is not about scoring a ton of MPs: it's all about taking your opponent's MPs to 0.
Attachments
Akhorakill.dck
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Played this deck for the first time in a long time last night...

Turn one: Maladies kill Calendal & Odoacer
Turn two: Maladies kill Pon Opar & Dunlending Spy
Turn three: Cave Worm kills Nain; Maladies kill Perchen & Uchel.  Opponent concedes, as he has only Hoarmurath in the deck.

I love this deck....  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

fanfarian

Post by fanfarian » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:37 pm

hey

nice deck, but what is the "merry-go-round" thing?

cheers
Stefan
Suche Spieler im Raum VS, Germany
Webmaster www.councilofelrond.org

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Having some three-mind characters (usually sages for Voices of Malice) move to the sites in Gorgoroth/Udun that allow the resource player to draw 2 cards while the hazard player draws only one.  Nets you a six-card draw to your opponent's 3 if done in full force.

Sauron_the_Great
Location: Alfter, Germany (normally Barad-Dur, Mordor but I'm on holidays at the moment)

Post by Sauron_the_Great » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:28 am

Played this deck yesterday evening for my first time:

Opponent started with Beorn, Fatty, Sam

Turn 1: Opponent played Legolas, Beorn got killed by Malady

Turn 2: Opponent played Alatar, Fatty got corrupted and got a Traitor killing Sam in the following...

Turn 3: Played Haldalam, got Glamdring, got 1 Corruption card, 4 (!) Maladies in one turn...stupid bugger won't die nor corrupted!

Turn 4: Haldalam got another Corruption card and this time Akhorahil got him...

Turn 5: Retreat with his Wizard to Lorien...no Malady this time...

Turn 6: Played Gimli, got Gwaihir, friendly visit from Mr. Poison-Slinger...guess what comes...

Exhausted twice so I could finally call the council (just got 22 MPs by this time)

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

After all opponent just had wounded Alatar, Men of Northern Rhovanion and 1 Ambusher KP...

This deck is very impressive, but it will stay my last time i played it, since I would HATE it to play against such a deck.

PS: Oh, and I got two guys (Ugluk and Dorelas) killed while trying to enter Mount Doom untapped ...stupid idiots!

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:24 pm

There are some major flaws with this deck that come to light.

Corwin

Post by Corwin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:42 pm

How about enlightening us too, then?

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:32 pm

Because a whole lot of cards and more than a few decks get blown, it he's referring to what I think he is.  If he's referring to this, I'm of the opinion that ICE overlooked a whole class of cards that are meant to playable on attacks, or that card texts specifically stating that they are playable during an attack (and not explicitly forbidden from auto-attacks) overcome the rule.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:42 am

Also, if you can't use Sojourn, Veils of Shadow can be a nice suprise on an Unabated auto attack. :)

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:09 am

Not cheezy, what do you call squatting at DG with Lieutenant playing Aiglos at sulferdeeps then?  :roll:  In my book that's pretty cheezy and since the deck hardly plays mp's this is vital.

Anyway, I like malady decks very much, but they are not as competitive as suggested here - the 50-4 rate is against 50 different decks, all alignments? Thank God, because as Markus says (who's the real Sauron here anyway? there can be only one!) they are a menace to play against, so better they stay in the casual game department  :lol:

nice game reports, but anyone like to bother explain the amount of luck you need to malady a char. with your fell rider Akhorahil the first turn?! to begin with, your hero opponent must start the game...
anyone would really like to read a funny situation with malady at first turn, see my (rather ancient) play o day at morgul rats: http://fan.theonering.net/morgulrats/
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:49 pm

Anyway, I like malady decks very much, but they are not as competitive as suggested here - the 50-4 rate is against 50 different decks, all alignments?
Depending on which hands are playing it, can be highly competitive. If these are the hands of Mark Alfano, then for sure that 50-4 rate is 100% reliable.

Thorsten the Traveller

Post by Thorsten the Traveller » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:28 pm

Manuel wrote:
Depending on which hands are playing it, can be highly competitive. If these are the hands of Mark Alfano, then for sure that 50-4 rate is 100% reliable.
Haha, well I'm glad you are so impressed with his performance, but I was born to take nothing for granted  :wink: .

I prefer to judge decks on basis of the cards, not the way they are played or the quality of the opponent and his/her deck etc. So I was a bit surprised to see that a deck solely designed to deal out malady only had one shadow-magic char in it.

My reply was just to temper a bit the acclaimed succes of this type of deck, but like I said, playing malady is great fun, as are all decks that bring about interactive play (combat/influencing etc).

ps. Mark, at Dutch nats. 2004 finals most played minion, so the claim to win with this deck is a bit presumptuous :wink:
'Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:56 pm

After calling the council, I went from 32 points to 8 points yesterday night versus this deck :).

It is reliable ;)

Earendil

Post by Earendil » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:45 pm

I used it in Italy Nats vs. hero & FW. I lost 2-4 vs. a bit cheezy Fallen Pallando but won all the other matches 6-0.

In the hands of Mark, I'm also quite sure this deck is deadly. I guess 50-4 is a rating referred to matches vs. Hero & FW.
"...And he said that if I had the cheek to make verses about Earendil in the house of Elrond, it was my affair. I suppose he was right :D"

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:51 pm

A way to avoid loss or at least total disaster: use sites where ringwraith cannot go -  with coastal seas in the site path (only four) or under deeps.