[Fallen Alatar] The Bounty of Framsburg

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Zarathustra

[Fallen Alatar] The Bounty of Framsburg

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:21 am

With this deck I took second place at US Nats 2004.  The basic idea is to abuse the hell out of Framsburg until you Great Hunt and get lots of kill points.  It's a bunch of fun, kinda cheezy, and very weird.

Start:

1 Faramir / Wizard's Myrmidon
1 Eowyn
1 Threlin / Squire of the Hunt
1 Gloin
1 Nain

2 Poison

Characters in Deck:

3 Fallen Alatar
1 Baduila
1 Fram Framson
1 Balin
1 Beretar

Resources:

1 Bow of Alatar
1 Join the Hunt
3 Hidden Haven
1 Guarded Haven
1 Great Patron
1 Gatherer of Loyalties
1 Wizard's Trove

2 Voices of Malice
2 Longbottom Leaf
2 Weigh All Things to a Nicety
2 Smoke Rings
2 Dark Tryst
1 Forewarned is Forearmed
1 More Alert Than Most

2 Arrows Shorn of Ebony
2 Black Arrow
1 Emerald of Doriath

2 Hoard Well-Searched
1 Bounty of the Hoard
1 Durin's Axe
1 Sapling of the White Tree
1 Magical Harp

Key Sideboard Cards:

1 An Untimely Brood
1 The White Tree
1 Great Bats
1 Regiment of Black Crows
1 Bounty of the Hoard
1 Glamdring
1 Legacy of Smiths
1 The Great Hunt
2 Fellowship
2 Sacrifice of Form
1 Wizard's River-Horses
1 The Old Thrush
1 Elf-Song (relieve all your corruption worries with a single card ;))
Faction / A Friend or Three / And Forth He Hastened

Play Tips:

Go to Framsburg.  Play a minor item or two on the first turn.  Hidden Haven asap.  Play Bounty/HWS to play the major items.  Use the cycling cards to pull over the stuff from the SB.  Tap alatar to do so as well (he won't be doing much else...).  If you need to speed up your draw, bounce off the Easterling Camp and Buhr Widu.

When it's time to hunt, you should have 8 characters at Framsburg.  Split off Nain and have him stay behind (to keep the site and the 1 MP for Hidden Haven... also to keep him from dying).  Fellowship up and lay down the site for your faction, whatever it is.  Then Great Hunt.  You should be able to withstand almost anything!  2 Sac of Form with the help of Magical Harp will ice 2 of the 5 attacks.  Assassins are a joke with Forewarned out.  Cave-drakes and Ambushers are laughable with More Alert Out.  Eowyn with Glamdring and 2 Fellowships can take any Nazgul (needs a 2 if she taps, a 5 if she doesn't).  Old Thrush and Fram make Dragons and even Durin's Bane manageable.

After you kick ass and take names, go get your faction.  If you still aren't ready to call, don't forget that you're overt: go ice your opponent's company!

MP Breakdown:

Character: 13
Item: 9
Ally: 1
Faction: 2 (don't forget you're overt!  Petty Dwarves seem a decent option)
Misc: 8
Kill: lots
Total: 33 + lots

If I had had the audacity to attack Joe Bisz's Fallen Gandalf with Poison from Fallen Alatar, I probably would have won the game against him.  As it was, he called on me quickly and I didn't have enough SPs to Hunt.  Oops.

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:38 am

Hi Mark,

I like this deck very much though I play it a little different. I also have some questions.

Can you play an extra minor item every time you play something or just one per round or site?

If you go for the great hunt, what happens when your own Nazgul (which is in play as a permanent) attacks? And what about a dragon who is in play as one of your factions? If it does not attack, does it count as a creature for the 5-creature limit?

And another one: If you discard Arrows Shown Of Ebony, are all other strikes automatically defeated or only those who failed (e. g. strike defeated but body check failed)?

greetz

EspadadeAlquiler

Post by EspadadeAlquiler » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:52 am

Hello:

And another one: If you discard Arrows Shown Of Ebony, are all other strikes automatically defeated or only those who failed (e. g. strike defeated but body check failed)?

If you playArrows Shown of Evony, you have to face all the strikes, but anyway the creature is your if the main strike is failed and that body check is not failed .

I have these doubds:

Could Baduila be a character by fallen wizard? he have a Mind greater than six, so you have to play him only like a hazzard isn´t he?

If you play hidden haven, Framburg Doesnt lose its Hoard?

what was your faction?
The faction, should be nice Bairanax aroused if you play gathered of loyalties and is not in play foul fumes. :P

I like the idea about two Sacrifice of form :twisted: but if it can not be duplicated by the same wizard and the first Sacrifice is on play (out of side) Can you do the second Sacrifice?
Forth Eorlingas!

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:03 pm

EspadadeAlquiler wrote:Hello:
If you playArrows Shown of Evony, you have to face all the strikes, but anyway the creature is your if the main strike is failed and that body check is not failed .
Only those that failed are automatically defeated.
If you play hidden haven, Framburg Doesnt lose its Hoard?
IMO it doesn't, just like White Towers shouldn't lose it's special ability after playing "Nature's Revenge"

I like the idea about two Sacrifice of form :twisted: but if it can not be duplicated by the same wizard and the first Sacrifice is on play (out of side) Can you do the second Sacrifice?
When you use magical harp, the wizard is not discarded - some of effects does not work, but defeating ability works. SoF is discarded after use, so you can play another.

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:35 pm

How to play Hidden-Haven on Framsburg as it isnt`t playable on a Dragons-Lair?

jhunholz
Administrator

Post by jhunholz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:43 pm

It's not a dragon's lair.  All sights that have a dragon auto attack have a horde, but the special ability listed on Framsburg states that it also had a horde. That doesn't add a dragon auto attack though, so its not a dragon's lair.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:08 pm

I'm afraid the Sac of Form trick turned out to be illegal.  Drop that and the magical harp for a valiant sword or whatever. :D

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Ah ok. the german translation is a little bit stupid. Framsburg is called there  a "dragon-hoard".

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:56 am

note: i`d put a nazgul killer as backup into the deck. I played it yesterday and eowyn got killed in the first round and i think you need one nazgul to win.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Sad.  This deck has a fatal flaw: http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... .php?t=491

Trossell

Post by Trossell » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:16 am

Can't you just discard hidden haven before great hunting?
No guarded haven then, though, but that's only a 1 MP loss...
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."

miguel
General manager

Post by miguel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:31 pm

You can't just discard Hidden Haven, says so on the card.  :wink:

stone troll

Post by stone troll » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:03 pm

So...a second place deck now has two identified fatal flaws?

Come on Zara, you should be  :oops:

Ringbearer

Post by Ringbearer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:25 pm

Hmmm

*wonders how zara cheats sounds as a new mantra*
Player of killer hazards no-one else ever dares to play :D

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:14 pm

Come on guys, all of us have once played a deck and later realised that it was illegal. There's no reason to be ashamed.