[Minion Resource] The Sorceror's Apprentice

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Bandobras Took

[Minion Resource] The Sorceror's Apprentice

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:27 am

Well, nothing new has come up so I thought I'd post this little theme deck.  It's a little too slow to win, but has major coolness points.

Starting Company:
Hador
Carambor w/Binding Ring
The Grimburgoth w/Open to the Summons

Other Characters:
3 x Indur the Ringwraith
Layos

Resources:

Factions:
Hillmen
Dunlendings

Items:
Red Book of Westmarch

Other Resources:
3 x Govern the Storms
3 x White Light Broken
3 x Riven Gate
3 x The Tormented Earth
3 x Bitter Cold
3 x No News of Our Riding
3 x Some Secret Art of Flame
3 x The Water's Tithe
3 x News of the Shire
3 x Kill All But NOT the Halflings
3 x Veils of Shadow
3 x Dark Tryst
Ready to His Will

Important Sideboard Cards:
Sudden Call
3 x Above the Abyss
While the Yellow Face Sleeps
3 x To Satisfy the Questioner
3 x That's Been Heard Before Tonight
3 x Smoke on the Wind
3 x Seize Prisoners

The basic idea is to raid Bag-End and then use a combo of Carambor and the Water's Tithe to move 12 regions in one turn to get back to Barad-Dur.  Veils of Shadow is essential for facing the Bag End auto-attacks (and neatly eviscerates Unabated on the auto-attack, as a plus).  Make sure that you play Kill All and News either before or when you get the Red Book, because Bag End will tap after that.

Use Riven Gate to get the 4 MP factions; they're both playable at Border-Holds while you're waiting to hit Bag End.

Use Indur when he comes in to play to get the specific sorcery cards that you need to recycle; if you're facing Roadbock, get Govern the Storms (nice trick: Indur can play it and it affects any company with a Sorcery-using character).  If you're facing corruption, get White Light Broken.  If you're facing creatures, get Tormented Earth.  Hopefully you won't have to put up with multiple Rivers when you go to Bag End.as you'll probably want a fully untapped company for maximum benefit.  Also, make sure not to give Carambor anything that will permanently tap him, as you need his ability to get to Barad-Dur swiftly.

This deck has lost every time I've played it, but has never failed to get either the Red Book or both News and Kill back to Barad-Dur.

And it's just plain fun to move 12 regions in one turn.

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:46 am

Cool!  :D
Make sure that you play Kill All and News either before or when you get the Red Book, because Bag End will tap after that.
I not sure Bag End actually needs to be untapped for either KABNtH or News of the Shire. Neither states the site needs to be untapped nor do they tap the site. According to the CRF, an untapped site is only needed for factions, items and allies and cards specifically stating they need an untapped site or that tap the site (examples: Tempest of Fire and To satisfy the Questioner, respectively). This might make life for this deck somewhat easier.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:35 pm

I meant that once you play the Red Book and Bag End is tapped, you leave and it gets discarded.  You won't be able to go back until your next time through the deck.

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:41 pm

I see, I thought you meant to squat at Bag End and play the Book, KABNtH and News over a period of turns.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:55 pm

That's one definition of suicide. :)

Leon

Post by Leon » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:25 pm

Isnt the Waters Tide limited by the 6 regions you may maximally move?

And another card to suggest: Leg it Double Quick. With Carambor and one Leg it Double you can already make the one turn jump to Barad Dur. And thats indeed real fun.

I have a minion Bag End deck that also uses Come By Night Upon Them to get the High Helm and Sable Shield with the factions.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:31 pm

Factions at Bag End?....

And since when is Bag End a :B:?....

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:06 pm

The Dunlendings and Hillmen are to be gotten while waiting for the Bag End cards to come or if you want a convenient stopping point.  Riven Gate works at either Cameth Brin or the Dunnish Clan Hold.  Actually, it'd work at Bag End, too, if you visited there after storing News of the Shire.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I might be), the Water's Tither allows you to move a maximum of six regions at any time during the turn.  Move six, tap Carambor, move another six=12 with no need to visit havens.  It can also allow you to key your path to avoid your opponent's hazards.  Shire-Cardolan-Eriadoran Coast-Andrast Coast-Bay of Belfalas-Mouths of the Anduin to Tolfalas, then Mouths-Harandor-Khand-Nurn-Gorgoroth lets you avoid Double Wilderness and all the pesky hazards that occur that way.  You also avoid the possibility of the Spider of the Morlat tapping Carambor out.

The other movement cards are okay, but this deck is already a little card-heavy.  Also, Indur can pull the Water's Tither from the discard pile, which he can't with non-magic movement enhancers.

Edit: And just to clarify further: this deck is not about squatting at Bag End.  It's about hanging around in Eriador (possibly snagging Hillmen or Dunlendings) until you have the necessary cards, then blazing your way into Bag End and back to Barad Dur.

Old Tuk

There and back again

Post by Old Tuk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:06 am

Hi folks,

here is another alternative for this theme. I hope its OK to Bandobras that i put it in here even though it has noting to do with sorcery...

THERE AND BACK AGAIN

Starting Characters

Lieutenant of Morgul, Ufthak, Grishnak, Lagduf (Whip, Foul-smelling paste)

(Or something like that. Lugdush would fit , too. I don’t have it exactly in mind… Just take some orc-scouts!)

Deck

Red Book of Westmarch
Helm of fear
Orcs of Minas Morgul
Creature of an older world
Kill all, but not the Halflings
News of the Shire
2x To satisfy the questioner
2x Smoke on the wind
I`ll report you
3x Forced March
3x Leg it double quick
2x Where there`s a whip
3x Orc stealth
3x Risky blow
2x Voices of malice
2x Weigh all things to a nicety
Dark Tryst

3x Ren the Ringwraith
2 or 3 Orcs with a mind of 3 and 4

SB

Tokens to show
Last child of Ungoliant
Palantir of Minas Tirith
Some factions
Sudden call
3x Above the Abyss
Bade to rule

The trick is to lash the poor orcs very fast to Bag-End and back. Play as much MPs as possible in one round, store in Barad-Dur, play another round or two and finish. Bring Ren in Barad-Dur into play. Remember to move him to Minas Morgul, before the company has its meeting with the lord. RWs may not be in a company with characters! You have to be fast, because you make not so many MPs like a standard wizard-player. I played it only two times and it worked surprisingly well vs good and evil.
Last edited by Old Tuk on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Oh, that's fine.

Where do you play the Scroll/Iron Crown/Palantir, though?

Dirhaval

Post by Dirhaval » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:01 am

If you guys are worried about tapping Bag End, how
about including Secret Book? Yes, you do need to play
it soon to use it and you might not want to make room for
2 or 3 copies of it in the deck.

-Dirhaval

anyway, I like the deck.

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 am

Bandobras Took wrote:Where do you play the Scroll/Iron Crown/Palantir, though?
Im sorry. I wrote it out of my memory, and made a mistake. I thought there were legendaries playable at Bag-End.... Stupid, because I played it different myself.

I changed it in the threat and put in one more Satisfier, one more Smoke in the Wind and one I`ll report you. I`d also put the Palantir of Minas Tirith into the sideboard. So you can play something when youre back in the south. Thanx for this clue.