[hero; resources] Hobbit Dunk Deck

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Zarathustra

[hero; resources] Hobbit Dunk Deck

Post by Zarathustra » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:47 am

Oooooold School!

Start:

Bilbo
Frodo
Fatty Bolger
Sam Gamgee

2 Cram

Characters in Deck:

3 Radagast
Beorn (?)

Resources:

3 Stealth
3 Concealment
3 Halfling Strength
2 Flatter a Foe
1 Token of Goodwill
3 Promptings of Wisdom

3 Smoke Rings
2 Longbottom Leaf

3 Precious Gold Ring
1 Fair Gold Ring
3 Leaf-Brooch
2 Binding Ring (or some minor item ring)
1 Scroll of Isildur

Hazards:

Whatever you like, but make it fast.

Oh, and be sure to include 3 Tookish Blood for those early Calls of Home.

Key Sideboard Cards:

3 Wizard's Test
1 The One Ring
1 Ash Mountains
1 A Friend or Three
1 Lucky Search
1 Escape
1 Master of Esgaroth
1 Cracks of Doom
1 Gandalf

Play Tips:

Low HL is key.  If your opponent is fool enough to halve the limit to sb, he only gets one hazard per turn, which means he won't exhaust fast enough.

The best movement plans go like this:

First three turns: some mix of Moria, Lorien, and Bandit Lair (for Token).
Turn four: Cirith Ungol or Minas Morgul
Turn five: Dunk

Second-bests use Dead Marshes for the Scroll and run through Nurn to get to Mt Doom.

Third-bests use Master of Esgaroth off the Easterling Camp too.  Letting your opponent draw is bad bad bad.

Get Promptings on Sam as soon as you can! Skin-Changers suckzorz.

Consider dropping a cram for a Healing Herbs.  But cram is probably better.

Bandobras Took

Re: [hero; resources] Hobbit Dunk Deck

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:08 pm

Zarathustra wrote: Hazards:

Whatever you like, but make it fast.

Oh, and be sure to include 3 Tookish Blood for those early Calls of Home.
The fastest hazard portion I ever created consisted almost entirely of 1/2 creature permanent events -- the nazgul, the maia, the at Homes.  No matter what a specific company was doing, I could usually max out the hazard limit every turn.

Just make sure you're the one who controls Khamul. :)

Jaded

Post by Jaded » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:39 pm

And the binding rings are for...

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:26 pm

Jaded wrote:And the binding rings are for...
I'd reckon they're for protection agaist Rolled Down... Mark?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:30 pm

Precisely.

The nice thing about them is that you can play them as free minor items after playing a gold ring, brooch, or scroll.

If in hand, just discard when rolled.  If on a character, your opponent will probably give up on rolling altogether. :D

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:08 pm

I played this in the GCCG tourney.  Got avatar out turn 3, turn 3, and turn 2.  That sucked.  If that hadn't happened, I don't know but I might have won a couple more games.

In any case, the only big modification I made to the deck was to switch out a cram from the pool and put in a binding ring.  That gave me room for a Master of Esgaroth, which I used to draw some extra cards by bouncin off the e camp.

Meh.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:47 am

You ended up played a dump and run hazard strategy (mainly just half creatures) with this dunk deck during the GCCG tournament?  The reason this is played is to help speed up your resource part and enable you to dunk quicker, right?  

I have a thought-provoking query for you..  :)

Doesn't this kind of work into a catch 22 type situation?  In otherwords, by playing the dump and run, you then make (generally speaking) the place much safer for your opponent, who if he twigs you're playing a dump and run will take full advantage of the situation?

This is the impression I got in your game against kris, where he ended up calling in only 3 turns.  While more effective (slower) hazards might have made your deck go a little slower, it possibly would have also slowed down kris' deck, maybe even causing some major damage and buying yourself some much needed time?

Cheers

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:15 pm

Interesting question Jamie.

To be fair, I did hit Kris with a Muster Disperses that I sideboarded down with a nazgul and then mouthed up.  Unfortunately, right before I played Disperse, Kris got Await the Advent of Allies on Beretar, taking his used GI from 20 to 15.  Had he drawn that just a few cards later, I would have secured myself an extra turn by taking away 3 MPs.  I also hit gorn with a caveworm that he needed (and got) a 7 to tie.

Also, many of the dump-n-run hazards are actually quite good as protection for One Ring: the 9 nazgul, daelomin@home, Baduila, My Precious, Lobelia.

That said, you may have a point.  I'm going to have to take a hard look at my One Ring haz strats in future to make sure they're at least capable of slowing down my opponent.

((PS~ I did stop John France two times with Rivers.  So my hazards also had some effective things ;)))

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:23 pm

The muster disperses would have hurt, but that Cave Worm would probably have just meant a wounded Aragorn (unless you rolled a 9+ of course, which is what? 36% chance?) which is in no way irritating to my deck.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:29 pm

Yeah, you're right, your hazards weren't completely ineffectual as you did do some things which could have had major ramifications had the dice rolls turned out differently!  Nevertheless, like you acknowledged, it is an interesting point - speedy hazards can lead to speedier opponents...

And yeah, in the River-infested world of MeCCG, John was indeed bold to run a non-ranger Galadriel and Elrond deck! :)

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:48 pm

That's a very good point.

One of the reasons I fared poorly in the tournament was that my hazards were doing jack squat to bother my opponents.

TedPikul

Post by TedPikul » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:55 pm

Binding Ring? Is that a hero resource?

Leon

Post by Leon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:19 pm

No, a minion minor item, but hero´s may play minion items and vice versa. The abilities of the card are ignored, while corruption points count and marshalling points are halved (though of course these minor items dont give points)

Nameless thing

Post by Nameless thing » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:16 am

Hi,

I don't like such passive strategy as dump'n'run as it is not such fun. I play corruption instead of dump'n'run in an One Ring deck - to some extent it resembles dump and run while you can almost always play a corruption card or a card triggering a CC so that your hazards flow fast. As you need only one un/lucky roll to get rid of one of the opponent's characters, you have quite a good chance to harm your opponent.
You could also better use the potential of some of the cards - Lure of Power for instance as it cannot backfire, Alone and Unadvised is also strong as your opponent is likely to split his company/ies in order to draw more cards.
It also includes the dump'n'run aspect itself with Itangast and Scorba At Homes and Ren or even the Bane of the Ithil Stone but they primarily boost the corruption strategy.

Other option is influence reduction and Call of Homes/Muster Disperses strategy.