[minion; NEW CHALLENGE DECK] Khamul: Smoke on the Water

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Zarathustra

[minion; NEW CHALLENGE DECK] Khamul: Smoke on the Water

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:48 pm

Josh Hunholz and I discussed a certain desire that we've heard voiced periodically in the MECCG community: "challenge decks are fun, but there's only ten of them.  Why not make 4 more for the remaining rws?"

Well, today I took that challenge up, and I came up with resource portions for Ren, Akhorahil, Uvatha, and Khamul 'Challenge Decks' that can be preassembled before a challenge deck tourney and used if more than 10 people show up (or even if fewer do, and they just want to try something new).  These decks haven't exactly been honed yet.  For one thing, I only took account of the 3-rares-per-deck standard so far (they are marked with an *).  I havent' had a look at how many uncommons, fixed, etc. are in each of these decks.  However, with a little help, I think these can be made into good, competetive, but not-too-competetive 'challenge decks' that wouldn't get their butts whooped or win every time in a challenge tourney.  This is the fourth and last: the Khamul deck.

Start:

Lieutenant of Angmar *
Lagduf
Shagrat
Muzgash

Paste
Orders

(6 more characters)

In Deck:

3 Khamul the RW
2 Orc-Captain
2 Orc-Tracker

Resources:

3 I'll Report You
3 bold Thrust
3 Swift Strokes
3 Under His Blow
1 Bade to Rule
3 Dark Tryst
2 Weigh All things to a Nicety

3 Burning Rick Cot and Tree
1 Smoke on the Wind *

1 Blackbole *

1 Sable Shield
1 High Helm
3 Broad-Headed Spear

1 Orcs of gundabad
1 Grey Mountain Goblins

Sites:

Dol guldur
Carn Dum
Woodmen Town
Eagles' Eyrie
Gongmaeglom
Mt Gundabad
Dunharrow
Cameth Brin
Sarn Goriwing

Play Tips:

Go to Eagles' Eyrie once you get Smoke.  Go to the :B:s when you have have Rick.  Go to the faction sites when you have neither.  Break things.  Get points.  Win games.  Pretty self-explanatory.

MP Breakdown:

Character: 12
Ally: 2
Item: 5-7
Faction: 5
Misc: 7-9
Total: 31-35

This might be the best of the new challenge decks.  It has a high max MP limit, and it's very simple to play.  Just chop things up and get points.  Of course, if you get your beefy company all wounded up, you won't get any points at all.
Hazards... well... I dunno.  Maybe DoN / Rank / Men / Giants?
Attachments
{c} Khamul -- Smoke on the Water.dck
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by Zarathustra on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:19 am

A Khamul deck that has him remain at a Haven?  Most unusual. ;)

Wouldn't a challenge deck for Khamul be more appropriate if he moved in fell or black rider mode, at least attempting to use his special abilities?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:18 pm

You wanna make it? ;)

I suppose I could just take out 2 Under His Blow and the Bade to Rule for 3 Fell Rider.

It would probably be a worse deck in that case though....

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:39 pm

There are valid reasons to use Khamul as a squatter.

I'm actually thinking of making my main RW Khamul for the GCCG tournament just in case somebody's running a Nazgul machine hazard portion.  It's the best defense minions have against that tactic.

And having Adunaphel as a follower so that my characters can't be tapped out.

But neither of them is going to do much besides nab a haven faction and use the squatting cards.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:42 pm

Yeah I'd go along with something like you suggest.  I just see no point in having Khamul squatting at a Haven, when squatting clearly isn't his forté.  Squatting is the realm of others (e.g. Adunaphel, Uvatha, Hoarmurath, Dwar, Indur) and in constructed decks they would always be chosen over and above Khamul. He can't even use VoM.  

It's obvious ICE meant Khamul to be an active RW, or maybe simply a backup for Witch-king. Therefore, I'd design his challenge deck to reflect that, no matter how crap it turns out to be. At least then it shows him in all his frailties.

It is a challenge deck after all... :)

Plus if people use him in a UEP game, they may just enjoy this deck a little more.  I do have a Khamul deck list somewhere on meccg.net already, although it will almost certainly have more than 3 rares.

Edit: Bandobras, for what it's worth, you could always just play the Nazgul hazards yourself..
I don't think I've ever come up against the Khamul machine yet in all my 100+ GCCG games.
Last edited by Jambo on Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:48 pm

OK, can I hear some more feedback on what to do to make this an active rw deck?  It's already a burn deck, which works nicely for rws.  Should I just go with -1 Bade, -2 Under, +3 Fell Rider?  He won't be able to influence faction, but he will have 12 prowess, which means only a river can stop him.  Forced Marches may be in order too, though...

Alternatively, I could put him in Black Rider mode, or 1 Black Rider, 2 Fell, depending on the mission one sends him out for.  The nice thing about Fell is that he's gonna take two turns to tap a site and burn it down anyone, so there's not much lost if he can't Forced March.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:56 pm

The Ring Leaves its Mark can be very handy for active RW decks, particularly for River if the RW is a ranger, or for doing more than one thing at a site, e.g. in the case of burning and looting.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:55 pm

What about removing 3 Under His Blow, Bade to Rule and 1 I'll Report You and putting in 3 Fell Rider and 2 The Ring Leaves Its Mark?  Do you bother with sideboards in challenge decks?  

J

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:53 pm

ok, so it'll be -1 Under his Blow, -1 Bade to Rule, -1 I'll Report you;
+2 Fell Rider, +1 Forced March.

Now, for hazards, a kind of roadblock theme:

2 An Unexpected Outpost
3 Foolish Words
2 Shut Yer Mouth
3 Slayer
3 Neeker-Breekers
3 Chill Douser
3 Wisp of Pale Sheen
3 The Moon is Dead
2 Exhalation of Decay
3 River
3 Enchanted Stream

Majagua_the_Necromancer

Post by Majagua_the_Necromancer » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:01 pm

I like it better with the fell riders mode.  I don´t know if it´s worse then the first deck Zara made, but at least if you´re playing with Khamul, you want to try and brake some elves and win some points.

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Thu May 04, 2006 5:56 am

Havent played it yet but it seems to me this deck could do with some more sites for CVCC. It has Thranduils Halls but maybe some other sites where hero elves commonly go might be useful. Comparing it to Radagast's deck for example, Khamul has 10 sites vs Radagast 15, and only Thranduil's Halls in common. Its a simple thing for the hero player to avoid going there and thus avoid CVCC. Including some more sites around Dol Guldur found in the hero Challenge Decks would make CVCC a bit more possible.  :twisted:  :twisted:
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

Beornd

Post by Beornd » Thu May 11, 2006 1:57 pm

whats happen with Black Mace (sb) in this deck - without no site for it?
bb

Sly Southerner

Post by Sly Southerner » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:43 am

This deck also has many similar characteres to the Dwar deck so shouldnt really be played against it. Are there other alternative characters that could have been used? This seems to be a problem with a few of the new decks.  :?
So that's where that southerner is hiding...He looks more than half like a goblin.

Marcos

Post by Marcos » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:47 pm

black horse could be a cool helper in order to make khamul an active RW... :roll: