[Fallen Saruman Ringlord]

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Tegarend

[Fallen Saruman Ringlord]

Post by Tegarend » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:47 am

[starting]
Cram (for Sam)
Thrall-ring (for surion, as Rolled down protection)
---------
The Forge-master (Surion)
Thrall of the Voice (Surion)
-------
Surion
Fatty Bolger
Sam Gamgee
Anborn
Asternak
----------
Robin Smallburrow
Ioreth
Denethor II
Firiel
Damrod

[characters]
Saruman@
Saruman@
Saruman@
Arwen
Adrazar
Jerrek
Eradan

[resources]
Scroll of Isildur
2x Longbottom Leaf
2x Marvels Told
2x Smoke Rings
2x Dark Tryst
2x Weigh All Things to a Nicety
2x Concealment
2x A Nice Place to Hide
2x Gold Ring that Sauron Fancies
2x A Little Gold Ring
2x Ruse
2x Stealth
2x Sneakin'
2x Token of Goodwill
2x Old Friendship
Wizard's Test

[sideboard]
A New Ringlord
A New Ringlord
A New Ringlord
The One Ring
Voices of Malice
Promptings of Wisdom
Wizard's River-horses
Vanishment
Dagger of Westernesse
Dagger of Westernesse
Hidden Haven
Hidden Haven
A Friend or Three
A Friend or Three
Wizard's Test

Okay, what's the deal?

Turn 1, equip Asternak with a Dagger of westernesse from the Forgemaster. Depending on what you have in hand, move both HL2 companies to Carn Dum (with Hobbits if you have the Scroll), Gladden Fields and/or Ost-in-Edhil (if you have Rings) or Worthy Hills (if you have a Token of Goodwill).

Best case scenario, at the beginning of turn 3 you have a Scroll, one or two rings and Saruman at minion Isengard tapping to put 5 spells to discard. In that case, move everybody to Isengard, play a second/third ring there, then at the beginning of turn 4 play a Hidden Haven and A New Ringlord on Saruman. Move to Amon Hen and win the game, or play a Hidden Haven and A New Ringlord there and win the game at Dimrill Dale.

How it really goes? Horribly. Just don't play this deck, or A New Ringlord in any deck.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:48 pm

You also need Great Roads in your sideboard.  With those, you can go to the info site after play new Ringlord, then head back to the haven on the same turn if you get a neutral result.

I've got a Fallen Saruman Ringlord deck that uses a dwarven company and the Minion Dwarven Rings.  It actually also includes the Minion Petty Dwarves and some War-Wolfs, come to think of it.  But the point is mainly to get a Ring of Durin's Tribe and Dwalin's Tribe into the hands of their respective Dwarves and then pull and test one ring/turn.  It got the One Ring out, but my opponent's hazard strategy managed to delay me by a couple of turns, so I couldn't New Ringlord it. :(

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:02 pm

Bandobras Took wrote:You also need Great Roads in your sideboard.  With those, you can go to the info site after play new Ringlord, then head back to the haven on the same turn if you get a neutral result.
Interesting idea ... I tried to do it with Hidden Havens, because you have to go to R&L anyway for the Ringlord, so if it fails you just make it a Wizardhaven and play a 2nd Ringlord.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:25 pm

There are advantages to either method.

The problem with the Great Roads is the extra card draw for your opponent.  But then, you're guaranteed a haven for your untap phase if anybody gets wounded along the way.

Playing hidden havens is also an interesting idea, though.  I never considered that one.  You'd have to be able to bounce between two info sites, though.  Weathertop and the White Towers could work.  Also Amon Hen/Minion Isengard/Worthy Hills/Stone Circle.

Edit:
In further news, my Dwarven Ringlord deck was destroyed by Jambo's active Khamul deck.  Back to the drawing board . . . :)