[hero] Dwarves with rings

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

_nauku_

[hero] Dwarves with rings

Post by _nauku_ » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:11 am

I've been testing this dwarvenringdeck for two games now both games were against hero and I lost both :wink: . Any suggestions how to improve this. Against hero I play man-hazard and against minion wisps and rivers.

Character pool:
Thrain (haven't tested with him, because I just got it from my friend)
Thorin (I used him in both games in starting company)
Dain
Óin
Bofur
Balin
Glóin
Kili
Bombur
Bifur

starting company I've been using (when I didn't hvae thrain) was:
Thorin, Balin, Óin, Kili and bombur with cram and Rumours of rings.

deck:
wizards: 3x Saruman (I can use 3 sarumans in deck 'cos no one else is stupid enough to use him)

chars:
Nori
Dwalin
Fili
Ori

resources:
2x An unexpected party
3x Friend or three
3x Short rest
3x Concealment
3x The dwarves are upon you
3x Marvels told
3x Smoke rings
1x A chance meeting
3x precious gold ring
1x dwarven ring of Bavor's tribe
1x dwarven ring of durin's tribe
1x Gwaihir
1x Beornings
1x Leaf brooch

Recourses in sideboard:
3x free to choose
2x And forth he hastened
2x Wizards test
1x wizard uncloaked
1x Forewarned is forearmed
1x wizards riverhorses
1x withdrawn to mordor
1x Ents of fangorn
1x Wormsbane
1x Orcrist
1x The arkenstone

The main idea of deck is to run quickly to anduinvales area to play rings. When saruman comes into play he cycles testing cards to discardpile and then uses his skill to take one in hand to test a ring, when one is played. When to rings are played its time to go to influence opponents items and allies away, if the opponent plays minion then C vs C fighting. Corruption isn't really a problem since I have 10+ dwarves ready help in checks and also free chooses and friend or threes.

Biggest problem has been the slownes of the deck. I have got only one or two turns after I played the rings and that's not enough to influence and get faction and ally (if haven't played them earlier).

All critic is welcome.

-Tomi-
Last edited by _nauku_ on Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strider

Post by Strider » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:41 am

Since you have 2 sages for char. (Balin, and Thrain if I am not mistaken) You should toss in some Ringlores. (2 mabye. Easy play @ Dimrill Dale and Weathertop) You would also be in a possible line of fire for :w: creatures, so put in some cards against spiders (dang, I forgot the name of the card. It is Ranger only, and cancels one attack from Spider,Animal,Wolve. Oh well) Another problem you might face is making sure over half you points don't come from items, so act accordingly. Which means your factions are invaluable, so watch your GI. Other than that, looks like a neat deck.
Strider
"You can't stop the signal."

Sauron

Post by Sauron » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:20 pm

Crept Along Carefully.

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:18 am

Nope, Many Turns and Doublings

If you have rumours, why the dwarven rings maindeck? Put them in sb. (and you had a rumours but no Thrain? Wish I could trade some Thrains for a Rumours :D)

And don't count on playing Saruman against me ... I frequently use Saruman as main wizard ... because I can use 3 of him then

Oh ... and you go to :F: frequently ... play Test of Lore with Thrain instead of Wizard's test with Saruman ... my :gandalf: always dies of Assassins and then I'm stuck with my rings :(

Faliorn

Post by Faliorn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:27 am

Hi o!

I love playing with dwarven rings, but usually put up to 4 of them in the maindeck (I didn't have rumors), and I prefer playing with strong dwarves rather than many of them (say Thrain, Balin, Gimli...)

Also like test of lore, since Thrain and Balin are both sages, and I am not really afraid of spiders :)

I also use Gandalf instead of Saruman due to his ability to test rings. It's a fun deck, so why not relying in luck a bit? :P

I can say I have won every game in which I've been able to play a ring. With a bit of luck, you can play one even on the very first turn!

Best regards!

Faliorn[/i]

Strider

Post by Strider » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:16 pm

I have to disagree. Saruman is way better when it comes to testing rings. Free wizard's tests says it all. And I would also reccomend adding swapping one of your Sarumans for another wizard. That gamble is a pricey one. I know. Trust me. 8)
"You can't stop the signal."

Faliorn

Post by Faliorn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:59 pm

Yeah, you may be right. I'll have to give it a try.

How about a Saruman Fallen Wizard deck with dwarven rings? You'd have to pass without Thrain, but it may be fun! Saruman is quite a good Fallen Wizard

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:41 pm

I beg to differ. Fallen Sorryman is probably the worst of the badbeards. In fact, he pretty much stinks, sad to say. Can't even use his robes without tapping, plus the -1 to corruption checks.... I've tried White Hand decks with him, and they tend to need at least 1 or 2 more turns than they actually get to play out the full combo.

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:18 pm

Well, my sorryman won twice today and didn't lose ... I'm sure he can and will be (and has been) ripped apart from time to time, but I like it anyway ...

Saruman x3
Annalena
Arwen
Perchen
Ghan-Buri-Ghan

Theoden + Thrall o/t Voice + Horn
Worm + forgemaster + open tt summons
Anborn
Adrazar
Erkenbrand

2x smoke rings
2x weigh all things to a nicety
2x marvel's told
2x concealment
1x Hall of Fire
2x A Short Rest
2x Dark Tryst
2x New Friendship
1x ruse
1x nice place to hide
1x Woses of Dru forest
1x Woses of the Passage Hold
1x Riders of Rohan
1x Sapling of the white Tree
1x Keys to Minas Tirith
1x Leaflock
1x Red Arrow
1x Fortress of Isen
1x Great Patron
1x Gatherer of Loyalties
1x Wizard's Trove
1x Wizard's Ring
1x A strident spawn

1x Machinery
1x White Hand
1x The White Tree
1x Torque of Hues
1x Dunlendings
2x Noble Hound
2x Mischief in a mean way
1x Palantir of Amon Sul
1x Wizard's Trove
2x Half-Orcs
1x Greater Half-Orcs
1x Durthak
1x Ulzog
2x Ill-favoured fellow
1x Treebeard
2x Forewarned is forearmed
2x Voices of Malice

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:29 am

bmin wrote:Crept Along Carefully.
Doesn't sound like a too good idea, I'd have to draw it in the very beginning to make it effective. When I have 10+n dwarves there's no use for it.
Oh ... and you go to frequently ... play Test of Lore with Thrain instead of Wizard's test with Saruman ... my always dies of Assassins and then I'm stuck with my rings
Actually I only have to go to two freeholds (beorns house and eagles eyrie), and I try to avoid taking Sárku in them. He has many cards to cycle, so it's better for him to stay in haven until the rings are tested (he can also play some dwaves while in there).

Some hazard talk also. Do you think it would be good to add some shadow of mordors in hero hazard? As I said before play man and giants against hero, so I would have DoNs in deck already. SoMs might slow down the opponent so my decks slownes wouldn't be such a problem.
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

The Mormagil

My Dwarven Ring deck!

Post by The Mormagil » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:58 am

I started playing a Dwarven Ring deck about 2 1/2 years ago and it has been my best deck in terms of win/loss ratio. I have played it in a hero only tournament at Lure of MECCG a couple of years ago and it got my first place. I used to play it alot on Gccg, but only whip it out when my win/lose gets too crumby. :D That ususally happens after I go several rounds with Zara and Sauron :(

Saruman is the obious choice. He can be brought into play at Isengard (rings, major items, The Windlord Found Me), isn't a very popular and most importantly can recycle the spells. Wizard's Test, Wizard Uncloaked and Wizard's Flame are all get a good amounts of action. Wizard's River Horses and Vanishment round out the 5 to discard.

I don't even try to play this against minions, as Bane messes with it way too much (no spell fishing, no Dwarven Ring item fishing, no Smoke Rings to get rings back into the deck to protect vr Rolled) and I don't like running around with Dwarves when playing minions. Sack over the Head and Minion Arkenstone, yuk!

Starting ideal characters are Thrain controlling Gloin, Oin and Kili. Cram on Oin and Rumors are the starting items. Balin, Dain, Gimli and Thorin go into the playdeck. I have often managed to get Balin and Dain in my company before the council, and that gives me 11 character points with 6 free GI.

I don't do Unexpected party, as I don't need extra 0 MP characters fattening up my deck. I do Fellowships, as even one can have a big impact on CCs, and two makes all but the most nasty checks automatic. Three (I have done that!) makes things insane! 8O

As getting Saruman into play is extremely important, I have 3 Windlords in my deck. When I go back to a haven to store it, I try to have another character in hand to play first before storing the Windlord, therefore getting around the one character per turn rule. With some luck I also get a Fellowship or two down as well.

I don't have allies in the deck at all, sideboard or otherwise. I have never lost a game to this. I don't have any factions in my playdeck either. Any factions in play that my agents can't hose (see below) I bring in from the sideboard and steal.

Supporting cards include A Friend or Three, The Dwarves are Upon You!, Flatter a Foe, Dark Quarrels (good vr the Windlord attack), and Thorough Search.

Hazards are a mix of ranked men, diplomat agents, GI hosers, wizard specific corruption cards and a few muster dispurses. I try to Thief items in the hopes that my items will double (12 or more to 24 or more) but is is more likely that I will hose the factions. Normally I'll have 2 3MP factions when I call. If Muster Dispurses doesn't do the job, Twisted Tales will! With my diplomat agents, sometimes I'll get a Your Welcome off. (Dealus, you slut!) Pilfer often makes a showing as well.

Overall, I enjoy this deck very much. No cheeze, its fairly quick (but it isn't a speed deck for sure) and it wins reliably.