[hero; vs minion] Characterless deck (for GuildCompanion?)

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

The Dead Dwarf

[hero; vs minion] Characterless deck (for GuildCompanion?)

Post by The Dead Dwarf » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:11 am

I'm the MECCG editor for the guildcompanion,

www.guildcompanion.com

Problem is I rarely/never get any articles to edit, so I have to write the articles myself. :(

So if you think you have something suitable, say a cool deck, let me know - and I'll do my best to get it published in the Guildcompanion. It doesn't have to be a long article. Theme decks are just as interesting as a killer tournament deck.

Thanks!

:R: Nigel :R:

Zarathustra

Deck List

Post by Zarathustra » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:16 pm

OK, here's the quirkiest deck I have yet built: it's a hero vs minion deck that starts with NO CHARACTERS. That's right. None. I'll give a basic description first, then give a list of the cards in it. The basic idea is that your opponent is stuck playing no hazards for several turns, and his hand gets choked by them. He cant move through his deck; he stalls; he falters. Meanwhile, you FLY through your deck. Why? Because you have a ton of half-creatures (At Homes, Spawn, Nazgul, agents) that play out quickly and your resources are designed simply to go straight from your hand to the table: 3 armories, 9 minor items = 12 cards gone. Now, you're thinking, "That's cool and all, but I still need points to win." Ah, but that's the best part. This deck plays the entire king under the mountain combo, legendary hoard and all, in one turn. Here's the deck list:

1 Alliance of Free Peeps
2 An Unexpected Party
3 Crown of Flowers
1 Gates of Morning
3 Legendary Hoard
1 More Alert than Most

3 Armory
1 Black Arrow
1 Cram
1 Elven Rope
1 Emerald of Doriath
1 Healing Herbs
1 Horn of Anor
1 Necklace of Silver and Pearls
1 Thror's Map

1 Favor of the Valar
3 Smoke Rings
3 Longbottom Leaf

Use the Smoke Rings/Longbottoms to bring the whole combo over from your sideboard. You want to start at Lorien by first playing Thrain or Gandalf one turn, then the other the next, along with An Unexpected Party and a whole mess of other dwarves. That second turn, after playing your whole company out, trek up to one of your At Home dragons under the protection of 15 Birds in 5 Firtrees and crush it with sac of form/old thrush (these come from sideboard too). Play 2 greater items (preferable Arkenstone and wormsbane), King Under the Mountain, Returned Exiles, and a Noble Hound or two. Now here's the tricky part. You have to play Thror's Map Your NEXT turn, you want to continue to squat and and play ANOTHER greater item, your remaining hounds, and some more dwarves for mps using a chance meeting and all that extra DI from the arkenstone and king under the mountain; also, play Gandalf the Sac-boy at Grey Havens and pull in the elves of lindon and throw the white wizard on him. If that's still not enough mps for you, drop cirdan in next turn under gandalf for +1 hand size and 3 mps, and have your dwarves run over to shrel kain for the men of dorwinion, thereby completing the alliance of free peeps. It's not easy to pull off, but when it works, oh lordy is it sweet.

MRA

_nauku_

Post by _nauku_ » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:22 am

Seems like a cool deck to me, but because of its special nautre, could you include the sideboard and hazard too?
Council of Barad-dur website www.meccg.net/cob

The Dead Dwarf

Re: Deck List

Post by The Dead Dwarf » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:05 pm

malfano wrote:OK, here's the quirkiest deck I have yet built: it's a hero vs minion deck that starts with NO CHARACTERS. That's right. None. I'll give a basic description first, then give a list of the cards in it. The basic idea is that your opponent is stuck playing no hazards for several turns, and his hand gets choked by them. He cant move through his deck; he stalls; he falters. Meanwhile, you FLY through your deck. Why? Because you have a ton of half-creatures (At Homes, Spawn, Nazgul, agents) that play out quickly and your resources are designed simply to go straight from your hand to the table: 3 armories, 9 minor items = 12 cards gone. Now, you're thinking, "That's cool and all, but I still need points to win." Ah, but that's the best part. This deck plays the entire king under the mountain combo, legendary hoard and all, in one turn.
Cool - how about extending this into a full blown article, deck list along with hints on play? You could post it here, but I was hoping for a word or text file that I could then get published in the Guild Companion :)

Nigel

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:07 pm

You asked for it. Here it is:

Hazards:

9 Nazgul

6 Spawn (all but Shelob)

Agburanar at Home
Daelomin at Home
Leucaruth at Home
Scatha at Home
Smaug at Home

Lady of the Golden Wood

Mouth of Sauron

My Precious
Baduila
Golodhros

3 Power Built by Waiting
Redoubled Force
Revealed to All Watchers

Sideboard:

Hazards:

2 Darkness Made by Malice (all those spawn out... might as well use em)
1 The Way is Shut
1 Troll Purse (Redoubled force already out)
1 Veils Flung Away (GREAT card)

Characters:

1 Cirdan
1 Gimli
1 Gloin
1 Kili
1 Oin

Resources:

2 Chance Meeting
1 Friend or Three
1 Elves of Lindon
1 Fifteen Birds in 5 Firtrees
1 King under the mountain
1 Men of Dorwinion
2 Noble Hound
1 Not at Home
1 Orcrist
1 Returned Exiles
1 Sac of Form
1 The Arkenstone
1 The Old Thrush
1 The White Wizard
1 Withdrawn to Mordor (KRIS!)
1 Wizard Uncloaked
1 Wizard's Riverhorsies
1 Wormsbane

Oh, and I forgot to mention characters in the deck to begin with:

2 Gandalf
1 Thrain II
1 Balin

Try THAT out on your buddies. Watch em squeal!

MRA

Lord Leuber

Re: Deck List

Post by Lord Leuber » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:11 am

Zarathustra wrote:You have to play Thror's Map Your NEXT turn, you want to continue to squat and and play ANOTHER greater item
Uh, no. First of all, I can't quite figure out how you'll play a minor item at an already tapped site, but anyway, Thror's Map untaps a site with a dragon automatic attack, and KutM removes it.

Still, that is a whining remark as you could just play one greater item during the first turn and the other two during the second. That way you won't even need the Thror's Map and it can stay in the Armory giving one more MP. (also, you'll probably have enough characters tapped in the first turn).

Oh, and I'm also not too sure about the whole mess of other dwarves you're talking about... even if you managed to sideboard them all in and draw them all, I'm still counting just five besides Thrain II.

Hey, despite these remarks I think it looks like a very good deck and I'll try it out pretty soon! :D

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:44 am

You have to play Thror's Map Your NEXT turn, you want to continue to squat and and play ANOTHER greater item
I think what I meant by "play" here was "use". You can play a free minor item when you tap a site.... But sadly, you're right about it not being a hoard anymore the next turn (though it is until the end of the turn, iirc).
Oh, and I'm also not too sure about the whole mess of other dwarves you're talking about... even if you managed to sideboard them all in and draw them all, I'm still counting just five besides Thrain II.
The ideal company moving out from Lorien is: Gandalf, Thrain, Gloin, Balin, Oin. Three isn't quite a "mess" I guess, but it's three more than one could normally play in a turn (assuming you play either the wizard or thrain on the same turn...).

Have a go at it. It's certainly unexpected (excuse the pun), if nothing else.

MRA

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:54 am

I guess the correct play would be KutM - greater - greater - Thror's Map - Exiles and then discard the Thror's Map after you're done playing anything at the site. So next turn it's already untapped. Right? :wink:

Oh, by the way, what's to stop me from using it vs. heroes as well?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:57 am

Oh, by the way, what's to stop me from using it vs. heroes as well?
:arrow: Bouncing Gandalf;
:arrow: Bouncing Thrain (and other dwarves);
:arrow: Opponent might steal your items;
:arrow: Opponent might kill your dragons and crown his own KutM;
:arrow: Spawn suck vs heroes;
:arrow: You might get dunked on.

If you think these worries aren't so bad, then by all means, play it vs heroes too ;).

MRA

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:59 am

Zarathustra wrote: :arrow: Bouncing Gandalf;
Hhm... just hope, at least he is less popular than Pallando / Radagast
Zarathustra wrote: :arrow: Bouncing Thrain (and other dwarves);
So maybe put in some more as backup
Zarathustra wrote: :arrow: Opponent might steal your items;
The Arkenstone won't be a problem, maybe put Narsil / Mithril Coat / Palantir of Annuminas instead of the swords as they're less popular
Zarathustra wrote: :arrow: Opponent might kill your dragons and crown his own KutM;
I've never or perhaps once played vs a KutM deck, I'll take the chance...
Zarathustra wrote: :arrow: Spawn suck vs heroes;
:arrow: Skin Changers, some more agents?
Zarathustra wrote: :arrow: You might get dunked on.
Hhm... well, I could always fill up any sideboard space I can find with anti one ring hazards, plenty of hazards to put 'em in!
Zarathustra wrote:If you think these worries aren't so bad, then by all means, play it vs heroes too ;).
Yep, maybe I will! :D Thanks for sharing the idea btw! :D

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:55 am

Mark, I tried it out, and although it worked okay :D I ran in some problems and wondered how you dealt with them!

:arrow: Eventually, the cards you sideboarded in start clogging up your hand, and you can't really afford to discard them...
:arrow: You can sideboard in 9 cards, but you need more...
:arrow: As the DL turns in a border hold, the turn that you squat there opens you up to Assassin / Sellswords...

Also, why Fifteen Birds in Five Firtrees? What about Flatter a Foe?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:54 pm

Eventually, the cards you sideboarded in start clogging up your hand, and you can't really afford to discard them...
That's when you start playing the characters and get moving. You should play your first character (either Gandalf or Thrain) when you have about 15-20 cards left in your deck. Of course, the fewer the better. Don't forget that at the start you can afford to discard stuff because you have Favour of the Valar to bring it all back around. Also keep in mind that redrawing stuff after the exhaust is almost a sure-fire plan, because you'll only have about 8 cards left in your deck. Also, Smoke Rings doesn't have to bring stuff over from the SB -- you can use it to recycle a key card that you were forced to discard earlier.
You can sideboard in 9 cards, but you need more...
Why only 9? When Gandalf comes in, tap him to put 5 in the discard pile. Then play Favour of the Valar -- you end up having brought over 14 before the first exhaust, which I think is plenty. And don't forget you can switch 5 when you exhaust, and then another 5 when you exhaust again... and another 5 and another and another....
As the DL turns in a border hold, the turn that you squat there opens you up to Assassin / Sellswords...
Hey, no deck is perfect ;). The Fifteen Birds should help there, but really, how bad is it? Sellswords you can probably kill; Assassin can only pick off one of the little, not-so-important characters. I'll take my chances, I think.
Also, why Fifteen Birds in Five Firtrees? What about Flatter a Foe?
For the ubiquitous Cave-Drake, as well as any nasty Ice-Drakes and True Cold Drakes etc on the way up. Flatter would work as well, I guess. Might even be better, since it would work vs the (first) auto-attack.

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:03 pm

As the DL turns in a border hold, the turn that you squat there opens you up to Assassin / Sellswords...

Hey, no deck is perfect . The Fifteen Birds should help there, but really, how bad is it? Sellswords you can probably kill; Assassin can only pick off one of the little, not-so-important characters. I'll take my chances, I think.

Fifteen birds while squatting? Last time I triedto play Fifteen Birds while squatting, I read the first line and noticed the word Moving (okay, okay, my opponent saw it :D)

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:35 pm

oops... :oops:

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:08 am

I've modified the deck a bit - I don't think it's better now (as it's probably slower while allowing the opponent to start playing hazrds earlier), but it's more suited to my way of playing :wink: Let's see what you think.

Alliance of Free Peeps
2 An Unexpected Party
3 Crown of Flowers
1 Gates of Morning
2 Legendary Hoard
2 Echo of All Joy
2 Fog

3 Armory
3 Waybread
3 Black Arrow
1 Thror's Map

1 Favor of the Valar
3 Smoke Rings
3 Longbottom Leaf

I've moved Balin, Gloin, Oin and Kili to the main deck

On the hazard side, Ive replaced 3x Power Built, Scatha and 2 Nazgul with 3x Parsimony of Seclusion and Smaug, Agburanar and Leucaruth (all as Ahunts)

The sideboard now has Flatter a Foe and Fair Travels in Wilderness instead of Fifteen Birds and The Old Thrush

The 'new' idea is of course to tap Lorien with a Waybread and follow it up with a Black Arrow. The Armories make sure you don't have to hold a two-card combo in your hand. Play new characters to untap Lorien. When you move, play Fair Travels (hopefully there's a Fog out by now). Also, there should be 1 Ahunt in play. Cancel the Ahunt with Flatter a Foe to wipe out the hazard limit; kill the dragon with the 2 or 3 Black Arrows (and Sac form, of course)

The Waybreads can come in very handy when you move to Shrel-Kain, as you can now aford to tap most of the characters for the hazards they'll be facing. It is also possible to leave one on Gandalf when he Sac forms so he has no fear of Adunaphel when playing the Elves of Lindon. Oh, you also need only one turn at the dragon's lair this way...