[hero; resources] Alatar in the South

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Tegarend

[hero; resources] Alatar in the South

Post by Tegarend » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:38 am

Again - like usually- I made a deck which is extremely vulnerable to Call of Home. Isn't there a good way to neuter that card? Everytime I play somewhere for points, I seem to face that card :)

Starting company
Elrond + cram
Elladan + cram
Elrohir (I guess I better replace this one by Peath, although she can't muster)
Halbarad
Ioreth

2x Alatar (just for the home site)
1x Gandalf
Cirdan
Glorfindel
Gildor Inglorion

3x Muster
2x Chance Meeting
2x Marvel's Told
3x Risky Blow
2x And Forth He Hastened
3x Smoke Rings
Variags of Khand
Easterlings
Southrons
Glamdring
Orcrist
Wormsbane
3x Noble Hounds
3x Noble Steed
3x No Strangers at this Time

Sideboard
3x Many Turns & Doublings against undead
Scroll of Isildur
Rangers of Ithilien
Knights of Dol Amroth
Great-shield of Rohan
3x A Friend or Three
The White Tree
Sapling of the white Tree
2x Forewarned is Forearmed

Any blinds spot left? Agents, I guess :/ ...

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:55 am

Dont say "just for the home site" about alatron. He's an excellent wizard, though underused.

Anyway, looks like a pretty good deck Kris, but I recommend dropping the squatting sages; they just let your opponent pummel you with too many events (like those annoying power builts...). Also, 6 nobles allies is a bit much. I'd suggest dropping the hounds (steeds own hounds anyway) and maybe one of the no strangers cards for risky blow and/or dark quarrels. Also, you may want to switch one or two of those musters for a friend or three. That helps with factions too (not as much, I know), but also corruption. Finally, withdrawn to mordor should at LEAST be in the sideboard. In every hero deck. Ever. Looks like a fun one though!

Best,

MRA

The Dead Dwarf

Post by The Dead Dwarf » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:03 pm

I won't repeat the previous comments.

Why the Easterlings - in my experience they are a little too far away, better to use the Knights of Dol Amroth right in the deck. I'd also ditch one of the allies and put a sapling in the deck too.

What are the smoke rings for? - if it's sideboard access, better to use Long Bottom Leaf.

If corruption is a problem, Glamour of Surpassing Excellence would fit right in.

I'd also consider using Narsil rather than Wormsbane - as the DI bonus is really useful, and even consider swapping a Cram for a Horn of Anor.

The deck is *really* light on items - you could go down badly to an item denial deck (3xGreat Secrets, 3xThief, Thaladam ...)

Regards

Nigel

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:42 pm

I played it just now ...

the sages saved me several times :)

The six allies were good, but indeed, I can drop some (alas, not forRisky Blow as I already play 3). I use muster to finally use that card for once (+ AfoT doesn't help an alatar with Glorfindel combo as much as a muster does, and I do not really have much corruption from my own cards).

Withdrawn will be placed in sideboard asa I find it again.

Easterlings ... when I draw them turn 2, they suck. If I draw them turn 1, I'll go overland to Dead Marshes rather than to the Stones (which is my normal turn 1 move, in reach of Southrons + in reach of Variag camp with a cram). Dead Marshes gives me a possible greater item too. Easterlings bonus over Knights is 1 more MP and noble steed + noble houndable (neither are playable at Dol Amroth). Rangers of Ithilien are in sideboard though (tap Alatar near end of game to side them in).

I don't own any LBLeaves :(. Lately, I have used them only for MTADoublings (first playing an undead freak then a spider freak).

the items : I have 3 more items in sideboard (sapling, scroll & great-shield). Should do the trick, no?

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:44 pm

Oh, and how it went :

First game, Alatar gets wounded during his first move by a giant spiders. I win 38 to 17.

Second game, Alatar gets killed during his first move by a Giant Spider. I win 23 to 22.

Third game I switched to a fallen Saruman deck which incidentaly continued winning :)

The Dead Dwarf

Post by The Dead Dwarf » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:15 am

Tegarend wrote:IEasterlings ... when I draw them turn 2, they suck. If I draw them turn 1, I'll go overland to Dead Marshes rather than to the Stones (which is my normal turn 1 move, in reach of Southrons + in reach of Variag camp with a cram). Dead Marshes gives me a possible greater item too. Easterlings bonus over Knights is 1 more MP and noble steed + noble houndable (neither are playable at Dol Amroth). Rangers of Ithilien are in sideboard though (tap Alatar near end of game to side them in).

the items : I have 3 more items in sideboard (sapling, scroll & great-shield). Should do the trick, no?
I'd still ditch the Easterlings, then you always go to the stones on Turn 1, doesn't matter which faction is drawn. Yes 1 MP is better and the playable allies, but I think it's better to have a faction in the general area. Heck if it's MPs use the Nuriags at Nuriag Camp for huge MPs 8O

Just my experience with similar decks. If I want Easterlings, then I don't do the Southrons and instead stick to the East rather than the south (Dead Marshes, Birhu Widi, Dorwinion, Raider Hold, etc - problem is those Wild Fell Beasts, certain Ahunt dragons, etc ...)

Problem with using the sideboard is it slows the deck (I know you have big card draws with the sites, but so does your opponent) I'd put more items in the deck and cut back on the allies - not only that but noble pups and horses can die, items don't :roll:

Nigel

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:51 am

No, items just get corrupted away :P

I'll try it out with a few less hounds and rangers of ithilien rather than Easterlings ... and an additional major item (torque of hues I guess? or great shield)

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:06 pm

Sapling (maybe even x2) straight in would probably be your best bet for additional items. You can play hounds and steeds at raiderhold and gobel mirlond, or just steeds at haudh-in-gwanur, and since steeds>>>>>>hounds, that shouldnt be a problem.

MRA