[fallen; Alatar; resources] Alatar's Magic Stick

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Zarathustra

[fallen; Alatar; resources] Alatar's Magic Stick

Post by Zarathustra » Sat May 15, 2004 1:18 am

Here's a fun fallen alatar deck that runs around in the withered heath. In fact, it never goes to a site that isnt a :R:! Just think of all those useless sellswords!

Starting Company: Surion with Thrall of the Voice and Squire of the hunt, Faramir, Mionid with Black Arrow, and Beretar with Foul-smelling Paste

Resources:

2 A Friend or three
2 Longbottom Leaf
1 The Old Thrush
2 Bold Thrust
2 Crept Along Cleverly
2 Dark Tryst
2 Swift Strokes
2 Voices of Malice
1 We Have Come to Kill
1 Weigh All Things to a Nicety

1 Regiment of Black Crows

1 Thong of Fire
1 Durin's Axe
1 Emerald of the Mariner
1 Glamdring
1 Orcrist
2 Wizard's Staff
1 Wormsbane

1 Gatherer of Loyalties
1 Great Patron
1 Huntsman's Garb
1 Join the Hunt

Hazards:

Must include the Parsimony trick explained in another post. Otherwise, do as you see fit (though dragon attack haz strat is recommonded, since you have the parsimony anyway).

Sideboard:

A few key things should be in the sideboard:

2 Marvels Told
1 True Fana
1 The Hunt
1 Old Thrush
2 Staff Asunder
2 Risky Blow
1 Aggy Roused
1 Bairanax Roused
1 Legacy of Smiths
1 Orome's Warders
1 The Great Hunt

Have Alatar tap to put a risky blow, the hunt, true fana, aggy roused, and bairanax roused in the discard pile when he first comes in (usually at hermit's hill). Have Fram Framson come into play with We Have come to Kill if you can. Other than that, just be careful to get and keep the Regiment, and one or both of the dragon factions. Otherwise your opponent will double both allies and factions = bad bad bad.

Using staff asunder during the great hunt is incredible! Try it!

MRA
Last edited by Zarathustra on Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Librarian

Post by Librarian » Sat May 15, 2004 3:41 am

Looks like a fun deck, but it will be really hard to get the Great Hunt out.

There are only 4 stage cards straight up in the deck, and you will need to have all four in play before you have enough stage points to play the hunt. Also this deck will be very succeptable to Echos of the Song, as there is almost no stage cards, and even less ways of recycling them.

I would also recommend at least one more copy of the Great Hunt, even though it cannot be duplicated. Why? Because you are allowed to discard one stage card a turn, if you want to. So imagine this...

You play Great Hunt, and pull the top five creatures from the discard. You discard the Great Hunt, and then play another one from you hand. Now you can take on the next five creatures! Thats at least 10 MP, not counting the MPs from the Great Hunt! (And if you have a third copy, you can do it again next turn!)
Last edited by Librarian on Sun May 16, 2004 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sat May 15, 2004 10:56 am

Nice idea!

I know this deck is weak on getting out the Great Hunt, but I havent figured out a way to get the necessary stage cards while still not getting utterly thrashed up in dragon country in the meantime.

Any suggestions?

MRA

Librarian

Post by Librarian » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:40 am

Zarathustra wrote:Nice idea!

I know this deck is weak on getting out the Great Hunt, but I havent figured out a way to get the necessary stage cards while still not getting utterly thrashed up in dragon country in the meantime.

Any suggestions?

MRA
Here you go, a little late but better than never ;)

Resources
Recyclers/Sideboard/Drawing
2 Longbottom Leaf
1 Weigh All Things to a Nicety
2 Smoke Rings
2 A Short Rest
2 Dark Tryst

Misc. Helpers
2 A Friend or Three
1 We Have Come to Kill
2 Voices of Malice

Combat Helpers
1 The Old Thrush
2 Bold Thrust
2 Crept Along Cleverly
2 Swift Strokes

Site Phase Stuff
1 Regiment of Black Crows
1 Thong of Fire
1 Durin's Axe
1 Emerald of the Mariner
1 Glamdring
1 Orcrist
1 Wizard's Staff
1 Wormsbane

Stage Resources
1 Gatherer of Loyalties
1 Great Patron
1 Huntsman's Garb
1 Join the Hunt
1 Bow of Alatar
1 Spells Borne of Discord
Total = 35

Sideboard
1 The Hunt
2 Risky Blow
1 Aggy Roused
1 Bairanax Roused

1 True Fana
1 Wizard's Flame

1 Old Thrush
2 Staff Asunder
2 Legacy of Smiths
1 Orome's Warders
2 The Great Hunt
1 Wizard's Staff
2 Bitter Cold
2 Washed and Refreshed
2 Marvels Told
Total = 22

Breakdown:
Okay I upped the amount of cards in the deck by 5... I find that Fallen-wizards have great difficulty keeping the deck size down to 30 resources due to all the stage cards they need.

I included two extra stage cards in the deck - Bow of Alatar and Spells Borne of Discord. The bow helps with killing creatures, as it will lower their body by 1. The Spells isn't really necessary, it is basically Great Hunt/Echoes of the Song fodder.

I moved one Staff into the sideboard, as you can't play it until you have played Alatar, and added more recycling cards as well as the Short Rests to compensate for the bigger deck size. Since you can stay in just the one region they are almost like two extra copies of Dark Tryst.

The Washed and Refreshed in the sideboard can help you combat corruption, as you don't have to worry about tapping your guys to remove those nasty cards then you can untap three of your characters. Since you'll be playing with the Staff I included a copy of Wizard's Flame. Even though it cannot be used with the Hunt you can use it for the Great Hunt, helping with all the attacks you are going to face. I also included two copies of Bitter Cold for that purpose as well, and they can be used with the Hunt - you just need to keep Spells Borne of Discord in play.

You might try to work in two copies of Arrows Shorn of Ebony and/or Scabbard of Chalcedony to help kill off the bodies of the inevitable Nazgul you'll fish up with the Great Hunt - I'm just not sure how to do it.

Also, if you're planning on playing this against heroes you might want to pack a few Sated Beast (if you're playing Ahunts in your Hazards). Not only will they help save you against those nasties, but you can use them during your opponents turn. This allows you to ditch your own Ahunts when you see your opponents wizard move by himself into dragon country preventing him from, presumably, pulling off a Sacrifice of Form for some nice kill MP's. :twisted:

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:19 am

Librarian wrote:You might try to work in two copies of Arrows Shorn of Ebony and/or Scabbard of Chalcedony to help kill off the bodies of the inevitable Nazgul you'll fish up with the Great Hunt - I'm just not sure how to do it.
Try using Peath instead of Mionid. Yes, he... uhh, she is -1/-1 compared to Mionid, but with a sword and some prowess reducers (Wizard's Flame / Bitter Cold) out, she can wade untapped through a host of Nazgul almost without risk. Don't forget to gloat as the Great Hunt turns up Khamul and you point out you need to roll only 6+/5+ to take it out. :twisted:

Librarian

Post by Librarian » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:06 pm

Lord Leuber wrote:Try using Peath instead of Mionid. Yes, he... uhh, she is -1/-1 compared to Mionid, but with a sword and some prowess reducers (Wizard's Flame / Bitter Cold) out, she can wade untapped through a host of Nazgul almost without risk. Don't forget to gloat as the Great Hunt turns up Khamul and you point out you need to roll only 6+/5+ to take it out. :twisted:
Problem is she isn't a warrior, so you'll either need a barrow blade or a valiant sword to get a bonus of more than +1. :?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:05 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a deck size of 35-35 is just completely unacceptable. Badbeard decks that try to get our their big 11-SP card especially need to be 30-30 and even then have to fly in order to work. I can't even remember the last time I made a deck that big....

:?

Librarian

Post by Librarian » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:31 am

Zarathustra wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade, but a deck size of 35-35 is just completely unacceptable. Badbeard decks that try to get our their big 11-SP card especially need to be 30-30 and even then have to fly in order to work. I can't even remember the last time I made a deck that big....

:?
Well, then I suggest removing the two Short Rests, the Weigh All Things, and the Spells Borne of Discord; as well as moving one of the weapons to the sideboard (Don't forget to remove Bitter Cold alltogether as they are now unplayable). However I still think that keeping the two Short Rests is a good idea - Drawing 6 cards should outweigh 4 extra cards in the deck.

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:41 am

Librarian wrote:
Lord Leuber wrote:Try using Peath instead of Mionid. Yes, he... uhh, she is -1/-1 compared to Mionid, but with a sword and some prowess reducers (Wizard's Flame / Bitter Cold) out, she can wade untapped through a host of Nazgul almost without risk. Don't forget to gloat as the Great Hunt turns up Khamul and you point out you need to roll only 6+/5+ to take it out. :twisted:
Problem is she isn't a warrior, so you'll either need a barrow blade or a valiant sword to get a bonus of more than +1. :?
I'm sorry, what do you mean? Are you suggesting non-warriors get only +1 prowess from weapons regardless of said weapon's normal prowess enhancement?

Tegarend

Post by Tegarend » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:18 pm

Most of those weapons (at least Wormsbane, Orcrist, Glamdring & the Axe) work on non-warriors as well as warriors. She just won't be able to use Risky blow or so.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:36 pm

The main problem with her not being a warrior is that she can't use a black arrow.

MRA

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:08 pm

Tegarend wrote:Most of those weapons (at least Wormsbane, Orcrist, Glamdring & the Axe) work on non-warriors as well as warriors. She just won't be able to use Risky blow or so.
Yes, quite, so I didn't really get Travis' point, maybe I'm just reading straight over it...

Hhm, is the Black Arrow that important that you'd miss out on the #1 Nazgul killer for it? :o

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:56 pm

Eowyn is my main girl, sorry. Warrior skill, scout skill, and Helm of Her Secrecy (and only 2 mind!) make her tops in my book.

MRA

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:07 am

Yeah, but also -2 prowess as compared to Peath, and in a deck like this I'd prefer Peath's ranger skill over that scout skill any time.

Helm of her Secrecy is such a cool concept, but...
1) You have to include a Rohan guy, and none of them are above 'okay' level...
2) It is clogging up your hand, and with that deck, for the Great Hunt turn, you have 1 or 2 Great Huns, 1 or 2 Wizard's Flame, Wizard's River Horses etc. clogging it up already...

But sure, we all have our preferences... :wink:

Librarian

Post by Librarian » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:06 pm

Lord Leuber wrote:
Tegarend wrote:Most of those weapons (at least Wormsbane, Orcrist, Glamdring & the Axe) work on non-warriors as well as warriors. She just won't be able to use Risky blow or so.
Yes, quite, so I didn't really get Travis' point, maybe I'm just reading straight over it...
:oops: It's been a while since I actually read the cards and I was remembering that all weapons except for Dagger of Westerness, Sting, and Valiant Sword were warrior only. :roll:

That's what I get for not playing very often :wink: