[hero; vs hero; resources] A "Josh Grace"-style de

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Zarathustra

[hero; vs hero; resources] A "Josh Grace"-style de

Post by Zarathustra » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:28 pm

This Hero vs Hero deck relies on a low hazard limit and lots of stealthy cards to slip past basically all your opponent's hazards. It's also nice to play against one ring decks as you can bounce their hobbits, which is a much bigger problem for them than it is for you ;).

Pool:

ideal:
Aragorn with Cram,
Fatty Bolger,
Sam Gamgee with Horn of Anor,

backup:
Beorn,
Thranduil,
Cirdan,
Elrond,
Folco Boffin,
Bilbo,
Robin Smallburrow.

Deck Characters:

2 Pallando,
1 Gandalf,
1-2 Big Guys from the pool (especially Cirdan).

Resources:

3 Gates of Morning,
3 Many Turns and Doublings,
2 The Cock Crows,

3 Concealment,
3 Stealth,
3 Halfling Strength,

1 Smoke Rings,
2 Longbottom Leaf,

3 Noble Steed,

1 Sapling of the White Tree,
1 Glamdring,
1 Wormsbane,
1 Scroll of Isildur,
1 Torque of Hues,

1 Southrons,
1 Tempering Friendship.

Hazards:

Make sure to have 3 Twilights and no Doors of Night. Otherwise, have fun!

Key Sideboard Cards:

1 The White Tree,
1 Return of the King,
2 To Fealty Sworn,
1 A Chance Meeting,
1 Palantir of Minas Tirith,
1 Align Palantir,
1 The Cock Crows,
1 Marvels Told,
1 Elves of Lindon,
1 Eyes of Mandos.

Play Tips:

Basically, stick to the coast and don't get killed. The Scroll can be picked up at Tolfalas, and is a huge F U to a One Ring deck. Noble Steeds can be played at Gobel Mirlond and Haudh-in-Gwanur after the play of a major item, as well as at the more obvious Southron Oasis. Pallando and Cirdan do their squatty thing at the Grey Havens, pulling in the Elves of Lindon, playing the Marvels Told, and Eyes of Mandos and increasing your hand size by 2. The big trick is the last-turn combo: Return of the King, To Fealty Sworn, A Chance Meeting, Bilbo, Palantir of Minas Tirith, Align Palantir, The White Tree = 17 MPs. 8O 8O

MP overview

Ally: 3 (Noble Steed),
Character: 10 ('Gorn, Cirdan, Sam, Fatty, Bilbo),
Item: expect 6, though 10 is possible,
Faction: 7 (Southrons and Elves),
Misc: 11 (White Tree, RotK, To Fealty, Align Palantir).

== 37 with 4 more possible. :D
Last edited by Zarathustra on Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:55 am

I had a deck somewhat like this once, but I had eaten some cheese sandwiches before building it... anyway, it had 2x Star-glass as starting minor items and then 3x Paths of the Dead as a further 'Stealth' card.

Paths of the Dead can be played at any site and when moving to any site. The reason you would do that is that the 'only undead can be played against the company' part of the card always works. That is even better than Stealth in some ways, your opponent can't play Searching Eye / Assassin. And, you can influence the Army of the Dead as well, coming from any site to Vale of Erech.

Of course, when I played this deck at a tournament, I was shunned by all players as being a Kuduk Lore fanatic not knowing anything about the the background of MECCG... :oops:

Oh, and when Aragorn bounced was in a lot of trouble as welll... :?

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:40 pm

Paths of the Dead can be played at any site and when moving to any site. The reason you would do that is that the 'only undead can be played against the company' part of the card always works. That is even better than Stealth in some ways, your opponent can't play Searching Eye / Assassin. And, you can influence the Army of the Dead as well, coming from any site to Vale of Erech.
Are you sure that's how it works? I think the undead-only clause only applies if you're actually moving from Dunharrow to the Vale, like a real man ;).

Paths of the Dead
Playable only at the end of the organization phase. For its movement, a company that starts at the Dunharrow site and contains Aragorn II may move to the Vale of Erech site. The only hazard creatures that may be played on this company are Undead, but any Undead may be played on the company.
The line about the hazard creatures comes after the line about the sites one moves between. I think that means it only works if you actually satisfy those conditions.

Yü-Gung

Post by Yü-Gung » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:17 pm

Zarathustra wrote:The line about the hazard creatures comes after the line about the sites one moves between. I think that means it only works if you actually satisfy those conditions.
As the card is not played 'on' a company the only thing 'this company' can refer to is 'a company that starts at the Dunharrow site...'

Lord Leuber

Post by Lord Leuber » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:43 pm

No, I'm not sure, but I do believe it was ruled sometime, somewhere... :wink:

Paolinoc

Post by Paolinoc » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:03 pm

Yü-Gung wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:The line about the hazard creatures comes after the line about the sites one moves between. I think that means it only works if you actually satisfy those conditions.
As the card is not played 'on' a company the only thing 'this company' can refer to is 'a company that starts at the Dunharrow site...'
I think it's important a rule clarification.

Path...
"Playable only at the end of the organization phase. For its movement, a company that starts at the Dunharrow site and contains Aragorn II may move to the Vale of Erech site. The only hazard creatures that may be played on this company are Undead, but any Undead may be played on the company. "

If a read carefully there is only 3 requirements

*playable at end of organization phase
*company with Aragorn
*start a Dunharrow

and no destination site.

Maybe, my feeling about this card suggests that it'sn't designed as a stealth card, but a important theme card. I think it will need "CoE" card specific rule about Path of the dead.

PS: Mark, I like a lot your "Aragorn / little guys with small feet" deck, good work.

Just my 2 Italian Euro Cent

Yü-Gung

Post by Yü-Gung » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:53 pm

Paolinoc wrote:If a read carefully there is only 3 requirements

*playable at end of organization phase
*company with Aragorn
*start a Dunharrow
I think you hit the nail on the head. It could be used as a (pseudo)-stealth card. When moving from Dunharrow with Aragorn II a company may only face undead, no matter the destination. IMHO the requirement you start from Dunharrow for this effect puts enough limitation on this trick to render it useless.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:29 pm

you should start a new topic for this interesting Paths of the Dead chat.

Anyway, what I thought was that Paths of the Dead could be played anywhere and as long as you had an untapped Aragorn at Vale of Erech on the same turn one could play Army of the Dead.

For the Undead only clause, one has to move from Dunharrow to Vale of Erech on the turn you play it.

That's the way I understand the card.