[Minion Resource] Trolls, trolls, trolls.

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Bandobras Took

[Minion Resource] Trolls, trolls, trolls.

Post by Bandobras Took » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:42 pm

This is meant to be more a fun deck than any sort of tournament winning thing. It was just idle curiosity on my part. Suggestions are welcome, but keep in mind that my set of cards is far from complete.

Starting Characters:
Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Lieutenant of Angmar

Starting Minor Items:
Goblin Earth-Plum
Orders from Lugburz

Other Characters:
Burat, Tuma, and Wuluag
Any non-unique trolls that suit your fancy

Ringwraith:
The Witch-King

Allies:
Black Horse
Creature of an Older World (I find it slightly ironic that Ringwraiths cannot move to Barad-Dur without the help of a card, but there it is. Ride the black horse until you can get your creature).
War-Wolf
Great Bats
Great Lord of Goblin-Gate (Two-Headed Troll would fit the theme better, but I don't have that card).

Factions:
Orcs of Moria
Orcs of Angmar
Orcs of Gundabad

Items:
Helm of Fear
Black Mace
Scroll of Isildur
Ancient Black Axe
Iron Shield of Old
Gold Ring that Sauron Fancies
The One Ring (don't expect to get it out, but the possibility is there)

Other Resources:
Sudden Call
Test of Fire
All Though Bent On It
Motionless Among the Slain
Sack Over the Head
I'll Report You
I'll Be At Your Heels
World Gnawed By the Nameless
2 x Legendary Stair
2 x The Under-Roads
3 x Bold Thrust

General (and so far, theoretical) play notes:

Mainly, you wander around and below the misty mountains, hoping that your opponent doesn't draw his Balrog too early. the under-deeps can help with getting out the items quickly; both Orders from Lugburz and I'll be At Your Heels help with corruption checks. There is a significant lack of a Ranger in the starting party, but a lot of ranger problems can be solved by going into the caves, anyway.

Make sure to use Motionless Among the Slain wisely; it will let you decide who you kill in CvCC. As for attack cancellers, this deck is based more around the idea of killing off hazard attacks and using them as trophies. Hence I'll Report You, which makes the Lieutenant of Angmar a staggering 9/9. Kill what you can; take what you like, and pop up for a quick breather and an orc faction or two.

If by some fortunate dice roll, you do get the One Ring out, the Ancient Black Axe can handle its corruption. Funnily enough, you could potentially move all the way to Barad-Dur with it without ever sticking your nose above ground, if you're so inclined.

The Witch King should go screw up whatever your opponent is doing. If he has the Helm of Fear, he can't be killed even if he's wounded.

karmi

Post by karmi » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:43 pm

A few brief strategic notes:

All these assume you have suitable cards available:

You will auto-lose the game if you dont have a ranger in your only company that does anything worthwhile and your opponent has 2 or 3 Rivers in his deck. Try substituting the other Lt. with Lieutenant of Morgul, another big hulking brute, but a ranger too.

If you really want RW to get something from Barad-Dur, swap Black Horse to Fell Rider or Black Rider, so that you can move him there immediatly when he comes into play.

I would drop the entire One Ring plot, sorry I just cant see it happen ;) Moreover, the only decent Greater Item place anywhere near is Moria, and you are already getting the Orcs from there.

I would ditch these:
Black Mace
Scroll of Isildur
Gold ring
The One Ring
Test of Fire
All Though Bent On It

For:
3 x Dark Tryst
High Helm
2 x We Have Come to Kill (you really need these to get your extra characters into play, espcially if your RW is at Barad Dur)

These are clearly sideboard cards:
Sudden Call
Sack Over the Head

Consider another Iron Shield of Old and Weight All Things to Nicety instead.

I hope you did find my suggestions useful. All and all looks like a challenging and fun deck to play!

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:22 pm

I indeed do not have the Lieutenant of Morgul, which is one of the many regrets of my near penniless youth. Looking at the spoilers, he would indeed be better. Consider the deck suitably modified.

I wouldn't underestimate the Pukel-Deeps, either. With even a few Troll Louts, you can get out two greater items there (unless your opponent is playing an undead hazard strategy (and discounting a pukel-creature strategy entirely)).

Good call on swapping the Black Horse; I should have considered when the cards are playable.

The One Ring plot is only three extra cards; the Scroll's worth three MP anyway, which isn't bad.

For the two definitely sideboard cards, I will substitute the We Have Come to Kills. I'd put in the Dark Trysts, but I have this deep psychotic objection to using cards that everybody uses in every deck. The problem's not with the card; it's with me. :D

Thanks for the response.

Old Tuk

Post by Old Tuk » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:59 am

Hi,

i was just rummaging around in the taxonomy, when i found this deck. Why do you use the Witch-King? I`d prefer Ren. Play him directly at Barad-Dur and squat.