[Fallen Saruman] Inside Information

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Bandobras Took

[Fallen Saruman] Inside Information

Post by Bandobras Took » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:02 pm

Starting Characters:

Celeborn w/Thrall of the Voice
Denethor
Voteli
Arwen
Annalena

2 x Binding Ring
Man of Skill

Other Characters:
Any sages that suit your fancy

Allies:
Goldberry
Bill the Pony

Factions:
Half-Orcs
Greater Half Orcs

Items:
Keys to the White Towers
Minion Palantir of Elostirion
Minion Palantir of Osgiliath

Stage Resources:
A Strident Spawn
Fortress of the Towers
2 x Double-Dealing

Other Resources:
2 x Dragon-Lore
2 x Look More Closely Later
2 x When I Know Anything
2 x Whwn You Know More
2 x That Ain't No Secret
2 x Dreams of Lore
2 x Concealment
2 x A Nice Place to Hide
2 x Many Turns and Doublings
Promptings of Wisdom

The wonderful part about this deck is that it really doesn't matter whether Saruman's at the bottom of your deck. Man of Skill, as I understand it, works even if 1) Saruman is not in play, and 2) whether or not the resource in question is stored.

Obviously, the best setup would be to get double-dealing played on a hero info site, play both the Ain't No Secrets as well as another resource. Between the Look More Closely Laters and the Worthy Hills, two or even three info cards a turn has not been out of reach. The other cards are mainly there to prevent doubling by your opponent, though Goldberry is highly useful in wandering around the White Towers. The Half-Orc factions are mainly thematic, but I figure if you're going to have somebody squatting there anyway, you might as well make the most of it. If it's too difficult, any of the factions playable at the Worthy Hills make a good substitute.

Leon

Post by Leon » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm

Do you realize that palantiri playable at FW havens dont give points? Also i think it s hard to get enough points aside from miscalleneous.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:54 pm

Yes. The Minion Palantir of ELostirion is there for its spectacularly easy card-draw and hand-increase abilities.

You start out with 5 character points. You need an ally point, a faction point, and an item point to prevent doubling. All of the miscellaneous resources give you two points as soon as they are played. They do not have to be stored. Trips to the Worthy Hilss (or any other site where Information is playable w/Look More Closely Later) can give you 4 to 6 MPs a turn for essentially tapping characters. That Ain't No Secret doesn't even tap the site. If Saruman has a Palatir of Osgiliath and someone else is at the White Towers, you'll be drawing two extra cards a turn. You don't need to worry about corruption, there's almost nothing to influence away, and the only direct threat to your main source of MPs is Which Might Be Lies. Goldberry is rather easy to play. Like I said, the Orc Factions are thematic, in which case Lossoth, Hobbits, or Worthy Hills Factions (to be combined with Info Cards, of course) make a good substitute. I hope that clarifies the gathering strategy a bit.

Anyway, non miscellaneous MPs should be as follows:
at least 5 character points
at least one ally point
at least two faction points
at least two item points

You've already got the character points; Bill the Pony and Goldberry are both rather easy, the factions, as I've indicated, can be replaced to suit your style, and Keys to the White Towers is worth 2 MP any time. If you get Saruman early, the Palantir of Osgiliath is worth 3 MP or 5 MP if you store it on your last turn. I don't really think that there's too much of a point deficit; you only really need five non-miscellaneous, non character points. (Or even more character points -- you'll have some spare influence with the Binding Rings and Thrall of the Voice, as Celeborn is a rather thrifty 4-mind character and Denthor can control Voteli that way).

None of the times I've used this deck have seen it suffer from too-few non-misc. points.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:28 am

In further news, I had a similar deck played against me in GCCG (and it beat the pants off of me -- embarrassingly so). The principle differences were:

Hendolen in the starting company to deal with Minion Worth Hills auto-attacks.

Hide in Dark Places/Stealth while they were squatting at the Worthy Hills.

Anduril for item MPs.

Petty-Dwarves and Elves of Lindon for factions.

It took a while, but he had something like a 10 MP turn at one point.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:17 pm

Sounds like you ran afoul of the Black Hills, my son.

Beware the wily Joe Bisz! (though anduril was my idea ;))

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:41 pm

That's the kind of thing I like running afoul of. I was trying a new deck, and I think just about every weakness was exposed.