[Minion Resource] The Stone of Seeing the One

List and discuss your decks under construction or already in use.

Moderators: Tegarend, Moderators

Bandobras Took

[Minion Resource] The Stone of Seeing the One

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:04 am

Starting Company:
Calendal
Pon Opar
Mionid w/Binding Ring
Jerrek w/Binding Ring
Ostisen

Other Characters:
Hador
Eradan
Any sages that suit your fancy

Ringwraith:
Ren

Allies:
3 x War-Wolf

Factions:
Petty-Dwarves
Woses of the Eryn Vorn
Morgul-Orcs

Items:
Palantir of Orthanc
Palantir of Annuminas
Palantir of Osgiliath
A Little Gold Ring
Scroll of Isildur
The One Ring

Other Resources:
3 x All Thought Bent on It
3 x Orc Quarrels
3 x Not Slay Needlessly
3 x Voices of Malice
No News of Our Riding
Test of Fire
3 x A Nice Place to Hide
Promptings of Wisdom

Play Notes:
The key to this deck is the Palantir of Annuminas. Use your first All Thought to get it. Start recycling All Thought until you've got Annuminas and Orthanc stored and can freely move with Osgiliath. Then the basic idea is: Play the gold ring, test it. If test bombs, put the ring back in the play deck, All Thought It, and pull the Test of Fire after playing it the next turn. Center around the Worthy Hills for All Thought as well as a couple of hard-to-get factions. There are plenty of ring sites around there. Two of them also let you play Wolf allies. Ren stays at a haven and helps with corruption as well as snagging a faction. Do this until you get the one, or 20 MPs, or both.

Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:18 am

Man, you're just gonna get Rolled away. You need way more than 1 gold ring in your deck.

Also, I assume you don't mean to have a hero resource in your deck -- Promptings of Wisdom?

I'd suggest getting rings closer to Barad Dur so that you can return them to Sauron quicker. In other words, Gladden Fields, Moria, Bandit Lair, and Dragon's Lairs are the way to go.

Interesting idea though.

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:23 am

Happily, the Starting Company has two rings for just such a purpose. He has to get it out three times to even touch an important ring. In which case, in two turns you'll have it back anyway (turn 1: Orthanc Gold Ring; turn 2: move to Worthy Hills and Annuminas an All Thought). It's funner to devote hazard space to Will Shaken so that you can show him that instead of a ring.

Also, other than Rolled, it seems to me like a lot of anti-ring cards are corruption-based, so having it in your company for an extra turn or two isn't that bad if Ren is your Ringwraith and you're a minion.

The problem with the closer to Barad-Dur sites is that this deck relies on having a readily available source of info -- in this case the Worthy Hills -- as well as readily available ring sites (Ost-in-Edhil, Isles of the Dead that Live, Bag End). Again, an extra turn or two to move the One is not so dangerous for Minions + Ren as for heroes.

Centering around Dol Guldur can work, but I'd use it as a back-up plan rather than a main plan. Amon Hen, Dimrill Dale, and Thranduil's Halls work for inforrmation (as well as Lake-Town and the Wind Throne in Dragon country), but the auto-attacks are a bit nastier, and only the Wind Throne lets you play allies up there.

I meant Piercing All Shadows. :oops:

And I final note concerning hazards -- this deck, just from finding the palantiri, hits 15 MP. Add a couple of factions and allies that are playable at sites you're going to anyway, and your opponent will have to diversify his hazards. With this deck, he will still have to worry about a normal victory.

Jambo

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:46 am

I have a deck that uses a Rumours of Rings as a ruse to lure in the Rolled Down to the Sea card and then (hopefully) whop them with a Will Shaken or two or three.

In fact, the first and only time I played the deck on GCCG I managed to surprise my opponent with 2 Will Shakens. I still lost, but it was worth it just for the satisfaction.

The problem Bandobras has with this deck is that he won't be able to use Will Shaken until all his rings on the table are gone and none remain in hand!

Bandobras Took

Post by Bandobras Took » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am

Zarathustra suggested adding rings to deal with a recycled Rolled Down to the Sea. Will Shaken is much cooler to use, and can work for things besides Rolled down to the sea. Since this deck is capable of recycling discards, ring slots are in my mind better given to attack cancellers (protecting Calendal is crucial). Hazard slots for me are usually easier to tinker around with.